British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Report: Immigration Workers to be Furloughed in August (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/report-immigration-workers-furloughed-august-933505/)

Nutmegger Jun 30th 2020 1:42 pm

Report: Immigration Workers to be Furloughed in August

"Approximately 13,400 employees of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services woke to find out they will be furloughed beginning in August, a move that will effectively bring the U.S. immigration system grinding to a halt."

13,400 Immigration Workers Furloughed

Pulaski Jun 30th 2020 3:01 pm

Re: Report: Immigration Workers to be Furloughed in August

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12874106)
.....effectively bring the U.S. immigration system grinding to a halt." ....

More crappy reporting, unless the 27% not furloughed are going to be sitting around doing nothing at all. I presume this is a result of the shut-down of the non-family based visa application process (if that's in the article I couldn't be bothered to read beyond the nonsense in the first two paragraphs).

civilservant Jun 30th 2020 5:29 pm

Article states that the furloughs are, unsurprisingly since this is a cost saving move, top heavy.

So in actuality there will be more staff actually doing the donkey work of approving petitions then the article wants to imply. This will hardly grind it to a halt.

Slow it down yes, but not stop it.

Oh and it also mentions that USCIS asked Congress for $1.2 billion in funds to prop it up, and that they would pass this on to applicants by bumping up the visa fees by a 10% 'surcharge' across the board in order to repay it, How nice of them! :rolleyes:

Pulaski Jun 30th 2020 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12874226)
..... USCIS asked Congress for $1.2 billion in funds to prop it up, and that they would pass this on to applicants by bumping up the visa fees by a 10% 'surcharge' across the board in order to repay it, How nice of them! ....

What's not to love about a tax, or government fee, that I have absolutely no likelihood of ever having to pay. :rofl:

Nutmegger Jun 30th 2020 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12874140)
More crappy reporting, unless the 27% not furloughed are going to be sitting around doing nothing at all. I presume this is a result of the shut-down of the non-family based visa application process (if that's in the article I couldn't be bothered to read beyond the nonsense in the first two paragraphs).

It is the result of financial problems. And, setting all hyperbole aside, IF three-quarters of the staff are suddenly no longer around, the wheels are going to grind at a very much slower pace.

petitefrancaise Jun 30th 2020 6:49 pm

according to this official report published only 5 days ago Congress had until August 3rd to approve the bailout which is when these announced furloughs are due to start. I suspect this was done to bring it to the top of the agenda in Congress and focus attention to get the money approved.
https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-rele...fiscal-outlook

Since May, USCIS has worked with Congress to explain the financial situation and educate members and staff on the needs of the agency. Recognizing the need to not let taxpayers carry this burden, USCIS’ proposal to Congress includes a requirement that any funding provided by Congress will be paid back to the U.S. Treasury. Both the Acting Secretary of Homeland Security and the Office of Management and Budget have written to Congress supporting this proposal. Without congressional action before August 3, USCIS will need to furlough over 13,000 staff members, which will have tremendous negative impacts on our mission administering our nation's lawful immigration system, safeguarding its integrity, and protecting the American people. We urge Congress to provide the funding needed to pay our dedicated staff and ensure our operations continue uninterrupted during these unprecedented times.”

tht Jun 30th 2020 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12874278)
according to this official report published only 5 days ago Congress had until August 3rd to approve the bailout which is when these announced furloughs are due to start. I suspect this was done to bring it to the top of the agenda in Congress and focus attention to get the money approved.
https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-rele...fiscal-outlook

That link makes no sense, it says:

“The effects of the coronavirus pandemic are long reaching and pervasive, leaving few unscathed in its wake. USCIS is still experiencing those very effects, which began with an alarming drop in applications at the end of March. Forecasts predict a crippling budget shortfall that requires assistance from Congress to allow USCIS to maintain current operations.”

If there is an “alarming drop in applications” there should be less work. So why would they need to “maintain current operations”?

While the cynic in me first thought it was another way to stop H1b etc, it actually just looks like the same issue airlines and hotels etc are having, less travel so less visa applications... there has to be a lot of visitor / student visas also impacted aside from the work ones.

civilservant Jul 1st 2020 11:47 am

If there is an “alarming drop in applications” there should be less work. So why would they need to “maintain current operations”?
Plenty still in that backlog according to the visa bulletin.

cautiousjon Jul 1st 2020 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12874638)
Plenty still in that backlog according to the visa bulletin.

The people in the backlog have already paid their application fees.

I imagine that it's much like unfunded pensions; they need a constant stream of fees coming in (even if it'll take years or even decades for the applicant to get the visa / green card) to pay for the current outgoings. No international travel means no visas and potentially less green card applications too.

civilservant Jul 1st 2020 2:03 pm

I agree, but that's not what I meant.

tht suggested that because visa number were down, they didn't need as many staff. That isn't the case thought, because the lower number of application adding to the pile means they can actually work on 'the pile' and make some headway if they are still all there.

tht Jul 1st 2020 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12874718)
I agree, but that's not what I meant.

tht suggested that because visa number were down, they didn't need as many staff. That isn't the case thought, because the lower number of application adding to the pile means they can actually work on 'the pile' and make some headway if they are still all there.

that assumes the same staff work on all different visa types and also that they are trying to reduce the pile vs. help the spirit of the EO....