Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Replacing lost passport?

Replacing lost passport?

Old Apr 5th 2012, 9:59 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Replacing lost passport?

We’ve been back home for a while now, enjoying the lovely weather we've been having, nipping over to the Continent and seeing lots of operas And now one of our sons is ready to come back too.

Only problem is he seems to have lost his British passport (though he has a newly minted US passport). Apparently it’s been missing for a while but, despite periodic attempts at searching high and low, it cannot be found. I assume it went missing when he moved last year.

According to the information online, applying to replace a lost passport results in ‘exhaustive enquiries’ and takes a minimum of 6 weeks. I also read that passports have to be delivered in person, ID shown and signed for – so what would happen if delivery was attempted at his US address after he has returned to the UK (on his US passport)? Could his brothers sign for it or does it have to be signed for by him?

Another option we are considering is sending his application to the Passport Office in the UK. Is it possible to apply for the replacement of a lost passport in the UK (using my UK address), even though still living in the US – can this be done? Could he travel to the UK on his US passport and, once the real thing arrives, nip over to France and return on the new UK passport?

I rang the Passport Office in the UK but they don’t have a clue. Tried the UK Border Agency, but they don’t answer the phone. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated and rewarded with high-value Karma
Old Apr 5th 2012, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Replacing lost passport?

Have you considered coming over on the US passport and then contacting the UK office and telling them that he lost the passport while there? That could solve the address problem.