British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Repaying Student Loans (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/repaying-student-loans-573502/)

miieena Nov 16th 2008 9:44 pm

Repaying Student Loans

Hi, first time poster in need of some advice. Probably won't be the last time!

Sorry if this topic has been done to death as well.

I plan on bringing my English fiance over on a K-1 visa. He plans on naturalizing and becoming a US citizen.

We understand that he does have to repay once his salary exceeds the 12,000 pound threshold, and then only 9% of the excess per month until the debt is fully repaid.

My question is ... does he have to keep paying off his student loan once he becomes a US citizen?

Thanks!
miieena

Ray Nov 16th 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Repaying Student Loans

Originally Posted by miieena (Post 6979720)
My question is ... does he have to keep paying off his student loan once he becomes a US citizen?

As an American can you cock your snoot at debts ...

dbj1000 Nov 16th 2008 10:16 pm

I plan on bringing my English fiance over on a K-1 visa. He plans on naturalizing and becoming a US citizen.

We understand that he does have to repay once his salary exceeds the 12,000 pound threshold, and then only 9% of the excess per month until the debt is fully repaid.

Thanks!
miieena

What a strange question. If I understand you right, you're asking whether he somehow stops being liable for his debts if he becomes a US citizen?

Taking US citizenship isn't like becoming a born-again Christian - he won't be washed of all past sins and debts - of course he'll still be liable for his student loans. D'oh!

miieena Nov 16th 2008 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 6979799)
What a strange question. If I understand you right, you're asking whether he somehow stops being liable for his debts if he becomes a US citizen?

Taking US citizenship isn't like becoming a born-again Christian - he won't be washed of all past sins and debts - of course he'll still be liable for his student loans. D'oh!

There is no need to be sarcastic.

We have heard conflicting information and wanted to clarify. So sorry.

dbj1000 Nov 16th 2008 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by miieena (Post 6979843)

There's every need to be sarcastic. I'm British.

Jerseygirl Nov 16th 2008 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by miieena (Post 6979843)

I don't understand why he thinks he won't have to pay his loan back...afterall he borrowed the money and he should pay it back. There have been posters on here who have left the UK and thought they could get away without paying because they are in another country. The loans are often sold to a US company and they track the debtor down.

miieena Nov 16th 2008 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6979856)
I don't understand why he thinks he won't have to pay his loan back...afterall he borrowed the money and he should pay it back. There have been posters on here who have left the UK and thought they could get away without paying because they are in another country. The loans are often sold to a US company and they track the debtor down.

Someone at his school administration had informed him that he would not have to repay after naturalizing into another country. We thought it was a bit odd and tried looking it up - we knew that he would have to definitely repay regardless if he moved, due to all the information out there, but nowhere mentioned explicitly what would happen if he naturalized, which is why I came here to ask. From what I could tell from my brief glance at the forums, people have asked the question before but were not necessarily US citizens, just UK citizens living elsewhere. Hence my need for clarification, is all.

dbj1000 Nov 16th 2008 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by miieena (Post 6979867)
Someone at his school administration had informed him that he would not have to repay after naturalizing into another country. We thought it was a bit odd and tried looking it up - we knew that he would have to definitely repay regardless if he moved, due to all the information out there, but nowhere mentioned explicitly what would happen if he naturalized, which is why I came here to ask. From what I could tell from my brief glance at the forums, people have asked the question before but were not necessarily US citizens, just UK citizens living elsewhere. Hence my need for clarification, is all.

Let that be a lesson to you - "officials" often give bad/incorrect/stupid information and advice. And they're not the ones who have to live with the consequences. This bit of bad advice was minor. You'll find that much of the "help" provided by the USCIS immigration helpline is similarly incorrect, and the outcome of taking their faulty advice can be catastrophic.

AngloDreamer Nov 16th 2008 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 6979849)
There's every need to be sarcastic. I'm British.

Ha ha quite right !
I initially thought you were a USC so had no right to be sarcastic by natural law.

The repayment threshold is actually £15,000 in the Uk and strangeley £12K in the USA.

http://www.slc.co.uk/thresholds/index.html

Jerseygirl Nov 16th 2008 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by miieena (Post 6979867)

If he eventually becomes a USC he will still be a British citizen. Becoming USC means nothing in their eyes.

dbj1000 Nov 16th 2008 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by AngloDreamer (Post 6979883)
Ha ha quite right !
I initially thought you were a USC so had no right to be sarcastic by natural law.

The repayment threshold is actually $15,000

http://www.slc.co.uk/thresholds/index.html

I think you mean "no ability to be sarcastic by natural law". Their failure to practice their right of sarcasm is just laziness. Their inability is a sad fact of nature.

AngloDreamer Nov 16th 2008 11:21 pm

Thanks!
miieena

Yes he should pay his debts to the British government. (morally)
Otherwise the UK govt will be skint and how am I supposed to support my 9 kids by 3 different wives without social benefits ?

On the other hand you could take Rays advice because he is nearly always right sometimes LoL.

Your choice really .
Well your bfs really but you have not got the visa yet ?

Bob Nov 16th 2008 11:26 pm

were you thinking of the 25 years thing for the loan to get washed?

Welcome to BE....though I would suggest you do a search as a lot of these topics have been talked about, a lot, and this one only a few days ago...

dbj1000 Nov 16th 2008 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by AngloDreamer (Post 6979948)
Yes he should pay his debts to the British government. (morally)
Otherwise the UK govt will be skint and how am I supposed to support my 9 kids by 3 different wives without social benefits ?

On the other hand you could take Rays advice because he is nearly always right sometimes LoL.

Your choice really .
Well your bfs really but you have not got the visa yet ?

So let's see if I've got your logic right...

It's OK to take other taxpayers' money and not pay it back if you don't agree with the policies of the elected government in giving out money to other people on benefits?

Genius! Accept benefits and then refuse to repay them because you don't like people on benefits.

Kind of like the logic of those who want to emigrate from Britain because "it's too full of immigrants!"

AngloDreamer Nov 16th 2008 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 6979896)
I think you mean "no ability to be sarcastic by natural law". Their failure to practice their right of sarcasm is just laziness. Their inability is a sad fact of nature.

You expressed it so much better.
You get brownie points from me :D