Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Repaying Student Loans

Repaying Student Loans

Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

AngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really nice
Default Re: Repaying Student Loans

Originally Posted by dbj1000
So let's see if I've got your logic right...

It's OK to take other taxpayers' money and not pay it back if you don't agree with the policies of the elected government in giving out money to other people on benefits?

Genius! Accept benefits and then refuse to repay them because you don't like people on benefits.

Kind of like the logic of those who want to emigrate from Britain because "it's too full of immigrants!"
Don't know what ya mean.
I have no kids . I was taking the mickey.
I am from Manchester UK originally so I take the piss like a certain other member which rhymes with yanc.

It is the way we speak around this part of the World .
Not everyone on this site needs help or info.
That is the way it should be.

Some people seethis site as informative some as funny or amusing at times.
Different strokes for different folks etc

I think you have lived in USA too long and have become assimilated .

Anyway chill out .
Old Nov 17th 2008, 4:03 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AngloDreamer
Don't know what ya mean.
I have no kids . I was taking the mickey.
I am from Manchester UK originally so I take the piss like a certain other member which rhymes with yanc.

It is the way we speak around this part of the World .
Not everyone on this site needs help or info.
That is the way it should be.

Some people seethis site as informative some as funny or amusing at times.
Different strokes for different folks etc

I think you have lived in USA too long and have become assimilated .

Anyway chill out .
Calm down mate. You're taking this all way too seriously.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

AngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Calm down mate. You're taking this all way too seriously.
Yeah I am taking my own advice and chillin out .
Too much wine last night
Old Aug 21st 2009, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

BigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really nice

Very Old Thread that i am digging up but wanted to know, what happens if you just say bollocks to the loan when you are a US citizen.

Of course morally its wrong. I just got my first bill in a year as I usually defer and its full of penalties for missed payments that I didnt know I had to make.

Forget the moral preaching....If I didnt pay it back?..............
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigBarry
Very Old Thread that i am digging up but wanted to know, what happens if you just say bollocks to the loan when you are a US citizen.

Of course morally its wrong. I just got my first bill in a year as I usually defer and its full of penalties for missed payments that I didnt know I had to make.

Forget the moral preaching....If I didnt pay it back?..............

You are supposed to have a British bank account set up that they can direct debit from. You need to periodically wire money across to top it up.

Or you can pay the loan off in a lump sum.

I think the sums involved for qualifying for deferment are higher than those being banded around in this thread.

Anyway, yeah, I too would be curious how they go about claiming it back from you. I haven't heard of them selling debts to private agencies, but it's certainly possible.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

There have been several threads here recently about debts being sold to agencies on this side of the pond, but there was some uncertainty about whether they are enforceable over here.

I pay my husbands loan via the SLC website with a credit card, the exchange rate is good and it's cheaper than transferring money monthly.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 12:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag

Or you can pay the loan off in a lump sum.
If anyone is in a position to do that, they probably didn't need the loans in the first place.

What I'm intrigued about is how they factor cost of living and how much lower the salary threshold is in the US compared to other countries which means your buggered if you live on a coast.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If anyone is in a position to do that, they probably didn't need the loans in the first place.

What I'm intrigued about is how they factor cost of living and how much lower the salary threshold is in the US compared to other countries which means your buggered if you live on a coast.
Eh?

There's all kinds of ways a person can come into money quickly.

The reality of course is that with a low interest rate you are always better off investing that money elsewhere, only paying the loans off the amount you are required to.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 1:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Eh?

There's all kinds of ways a person can come into money quickly.

The reality of course is that with a low interest rate you are always better off investing that money elsewhere, only paying the loans off the amount you are required to.
IMO the reality is you're better off owing as little as possible. I know what you're saying but it's not something I've lived by. I can sleep at night knowing I don't owe anything and I have a roof over my head that's all mine.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

BigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really niceBigBarry is just really nice

I basically defer every year and then when I have a bit, pay off some via their website.

My issue is I didnt get a deferment form, didnt get a letter saying I had missed payment and all of a sudden got hit with penalties.

If I dont have to pay this, they can blow it out of their ass
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 2:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I basically defer every year and then when I have a bit, pay off some via their website.

My issue is I didnt get a deferment form, didnt get a letter saying I had missed payment and all of a sudden got hit with penalties.

Look at the big picture...contact them...explain...offer to pay in installments what you owe.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 8:33 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

yes the SLC is sh*t. Just like every other agency linked to the gov't. EG they sent me a letter with the first statement in 3 years (which they are supposed to send annually), apologising for lack of previous statements but also saying that this statement may be incoreect and a correct one will follow - errr!? so why not just send the correct one!?

EG 2. notified them by letter that had changed adress and martial status, and deferred payments for a year using their form. They wrote to me at new adress notifying me of charge to my account for failure to pay (even though sent them deferred overseas payment form thingy in the same bundle), and still had my old name. Wrote ack pointing out they must have had all the paperwok since they had written to me at the new address! Answer from them? None, other than the charge was mysteriously removed from my account! Numpty's the lot of them!

In short, if you can, keep them at bay by annual filing their deferred overseas payment form thingy.. all they wanted from me as proof was a leter confriming my lack of income - and they accepted a letter from hubby!!!!

If they want the money - they can swivel on it! I only took it out to pay for my student tution fees(and a banger of a car, and a new PC- all essential student lioving items in my book!), which the previous year Mr Blair said we students wouldnt be paying if they got into Gov't.. then surprise surprise.. they introduced them anyway!
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
IMO the reality is you're better off owing as little as possible. I know what you're saying but it's not something I've lived by. I can sleep at night knowing I don't owe anything and I have a roof over my head that's all mine.
Perhaps, but if you come into some money, it is makes more financial sense to save it in a high interest account than to pay off a student loan. This requires willpower, of course.

As long as you have that money available in an account should they come calling, and don't fritter it away, you can still sleep easy at night.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 4:05 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
If they want the money - they can swivel on it! I only took it out to pay for my student tution fees(and a banger of a car, and a new PC- all essential student lioving items in my book!), which the previous year Mr Blair said we students wouldnt be paying if they got into Gov't.. then surprise surprise.. they introduced them anyway!
You are what I call scummy people ... take and take ...
and you are even proud of it
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 4:24 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ray
You are what I call scummy people ... take and take ...
and you are even proud of it

People who went to uni the year before I did didnt have to pay student tution fees, so why should I have to?.. esp when Mr Blair broke an election promise!?

Anyway, I'm not doing anything wrong or illegal! I am playing by the rules, and once I do start receiving an income aboue the repayment threshold, then I will of course start repaying!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.