Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Repaying English Student Loans

Wikiposts

Repaying English Student Loans

Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:37 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Repaying English Student Loans

I always had good experiences with the SLC (but I paid it off before coming here, so can't help).
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:18 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weazie
I've just had a letter from the Students Loans Company who inform me I need to start paying off my loan.
How did they find you?
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

tam1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by g1ant
How did they find you?
I'm in Australia but I Just saw the thread mentionong SLC.
I worked with them for over 2 years until December last year and they have a very good Trace department who look up the White Pages,Yellow Pages and online as well.
I even heard of a person in the Trace department who put a person they were trying to find in Google and it came up with his Personal Training website in the U.S with his address and phone number.

He got a shock when they called him.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:07 pm
The destruct-a-bunny

weazie will become famous soon enoughweazie will become famous soon enough

That was my original thought; transfer through paypal. Its quite convoluted though.

Duncan- its sounds like its a case of you being lost in the system. I didnt have any problems. The only form I remember filling in was the address form and sending a letter from my husband stating he was supporting me because i couldnt work (happy days). They seemed to work it out from there.

Somethimes I curse myself because i was so honest, but for one I plan on living in the UK again and 2 my parents are too goddamn honest to lie for me even if it saves me 10,000 pounds.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:49 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tam1970
Trace department who look up the White Pages, Yellow Pages and online as well.
Wow, the "trace" department can use google!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:05 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
The not chasing you outside of the UK thing is true, a friend of mine has done that, but they are obliged to try and find you for at least 2 years, they would call her parents and pretend to be old school friends looking for her address. Once they haven't been able to prove an address for you in the last 2 years then they write it off. But in my opinion if you have any intention of living in the UK ever again I wouldn't try it.
When I first applied, I needed to put two people down as guarantors. My mate and my mum went on the form, and they continuously harassed them for years until I finally paid.