Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renting a U-haul on International Drivers License

Renting a U-haul on International Drivers License

Old Sep 10th 2014, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

unique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting a U-haul on International Drivers License

Originally Posted by MsElui
round here - the ikea will deliver (for a charge) that could be cheaper than hiring??
They do deliver ($150) but it comes from a central warehouse which has most things we need out of stock, whereas the shop does have it in stock. Moving into an unfurnished place so need to have the stuff on the day and don't want to risk the delivery not turning up.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 6:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
round here - the ikea will deliver (for a charge) that could be cheaper than hiring??
Going by the Brooklyn store's website, that would be $149 to midtown, but sounds to me as if it might be worth every penny -- especially for someone new to driving in the States, a UHaul in Manhattan sounds like a nightmare!

Edit -- sorry, missed your response, unique_boy!
Old Sep 10th 2014, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unique_boy
They do deliver ($150) but it comes from a central warehouse which has most things we need out of stock, whereas the shop does have it in stock. Moving into an unfurnished place so need to have the stuff on the day and don't want to risk the delivery not turning up.
Weird. At the store here, you go through the store and pick out everything you want, go through and buy like normal, and then drop off at the delivery counter where they pack it all up, and get it ready to deliver to you. What is delivered is what you physically picked out in the store.

Obviously still wont get it there same day, just odd how they do it there vs here.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

unique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Weird. At the store here, you go through the store and pick out everything you want, go through and buy like normal, and then drop off at the delivery counter where they pack it all up, and get it ready to deliver to you. What is delivered is what you physically picked out in the store.

Obviously still wont get it there same day, just odd how they do it there vs here.
Oh you can do that. We actually went to the store last night to check out what we wanted. Kind of wish we had bought it and organised the delivery but at the time when we checked there was a 10+ person queue with one person serving.

It will be an adventure!
Old Sep 10th 2014, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unique_boy
It might have changed but it used to be you could go down to the Red Hook IKEA, buy the stuff you want and then hand it over to a company there who would deliver it for you, usually the next day. It was expensive but about the same as ordering for delivery from IKEA online.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rpjs
It might have changed but it used to be you could go down to the Red Hook IKEA, buy the stuff you want and then hand it over to a company there who would deliver it for you, usually the next day. It was expensive but about the same as ordering for delivery from IKEA online.
I have seen a few of these online but they don't have the correct insurance to deliver to my building. I was more worried about being able to drive legally but that seems to be cleared up as I am < 30 days in the country only had a SSN for a week etc. I am not too worried about the actual driving bit, I can honk my horn just as loud!
Old Sep 15th 2014, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Well I survived.....but needed a few strong drinks afterwards! The driving was fine it was just the size off the van I was not used to that made it nerve racking! In the end got what we needed and saved $50 but in future I might just opt for home delivery.