British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Renting with dogs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/renting-dogs-635049/)

sarahlou145 Oct 11th 2009 7:45 am

Renting with dogs

We are moving to San Francisco next month, and I have been looking on craigslist at possible rentals, and there does seem to be quite a few that except dogs.
We have 2 westies (m and f, aged 2 and 3)
One question i do have is, a lot of the listings state they want references for the pets, we own our house here so have never rented, thus have no references, is this going to be a problem?
Second question, i think we will have to rent unfurnished, which at the moment sounds to me like it could be quite chaotic. Has anyone moved straight into unfurnished property with their dog at the same time?
Im thinking that maybe i should leave our two with realtives here for a few weeks then go over sort the house out, then ask them to ship the dogs. what have other people done in this situation?
Id like to try and make the whole process as stress free as possible for me and the dogs
Thanks x

Englishtart Oct 11th 2009 1:16 pm

Re: Renting with dogs

Originally Posted by sarahlou145 (Post 8007377)
We are moving to San Francisco next month, and I have been looking on craigslist at possible rentals, and there does seem to be quite a few that except dogs.
One question i do have is, a lot of the listings state they want references for the pets, we own our house here so have never rented, thus have no references, is this going to be a problem?
Second question, i think we will have to rent unfurnished, which at the moment sounds to me like it could be quite chaotic. Has anyone moved straight into unfurnished property with their dog at the same time?
Im thinking that maybe i should leave our two with realtives here for a few weeks then go over sort the house out, then ask them to ship the dogs. what have other people done in this situation?
Id like to try and make the whole process as stress free as possible for me and the dogs
Thanks x

Wierd, I have never been asked to provide references for the pets:confused:
are you sure those are not for you? I have always been asked to pay a deposit for pets, usually one that is non-refundable and sometimes another one that is.

As for moving straight into an unfurnished place with the pets, I'm thinking that as long as they have food/water and somewhere to do their 'business', they won't really care about furnishings;)

Good luck with your trip ;)

ian-mstm Oct 11th 2009 1:53 pm

... and there does seem to be quite a few that except dogs.

You mean "accept" dogs, right? To "except" dogs would be to exclude them! :)

... we own our house here so have never rented, thus have no references, is this going to be a problem?
It sounds as though they want a signed statement that the dogs are well-behaved, house trained, and neither vicious nor destructive. Your vet may be able to provide that.

Has anyone moved straight into unfurnished property with their dog at the same time?
I haven't done it internationally, but I have done it. You're the "leader of the pack"... they will follow your lead. If you are comfortable with it, they will be also - because that's their place in your society. Westies are intelligent and adaptable... as long as they have a place to lie down and sleep they'll be fine.

Im thinking that maybe i should leave our two with realtives here for a few weeks...
If it was me, I'd avoid that if possible. The travel will be stressful enough for them without adding separation from you into the mix. Dogs are pretty smart... they'll sense your anxiety and become anxious themselves. If you take control of the situation (well, as best you can under the circumstances) they'll follow suit.

Ian

lisa67 Oct 11th 2009 1:55 pm

Thanks x

We didn't have to give a reference for our dog, just had to pay an extra deposit and have the carpets cleaned when we left.:)

mayhemuk Oct 11th 2009 2:03 pm

Where in San Francisco are you headed? The city itself or Bay Area.
We rented in Marin at a Condo Complex. They often have ads on craigslist but sometimes don't so if there is one in the locale you are headed for but no craigs listing maybe try them direct.

We paid a pet deposit and our well strung out boxer had a couple of "carpet misdemeanours" but they were reasonable about it. IE. they didn't withhold the full deposit just a sensible proportion for cleaning. Which I was pleasantly suprised by.

When we were searching we found most condos seemed to have a good number of dogs and cats around so you should be able to find something.
Just pick your unit well if they're excited by people walking by outside.

Good luck.

sarahlou145 Oct 11th 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks for all your replies, yes i did mean accept not except!

I havent contacted any vendors yet, just looking at what is stated on some of the craigslist rentals, it does mention an additional deposit for pets, i didnt think that the reference would be for us!! Not that we have one as we have never rented, but Im sure I can overcome that.

Hoping to be south of the city, been looking at Burlingame area, hubbie will be working at an office in the city, so doesnt want to long a commute.

I have thought about one of these complex places, but dont like the fact you are so enclosed, as we are used to living in a detached house in a quiet neighborhood, also i want a yard/garden for the dogs, this is my number one priority, as this is what they are used to. Occasionally they do bark when people walk past our house, so i think living in a complex wouldnt be ideal, as I would be concerned they would bark at people walking past, and dont want that happening

meauxna Oct 11th 2009 6:01 pm

"Pet referrals" are a common request around here, maybe it's a regional thing? It's just what it sounds like, a letter of reference from a previous landlord saying that the pet was no trouble or within reason or whatever.

Steerpike Oct 12th 2009 7:42 am

Originally Posted by sarahlou145 (Post 8008002)
Hoping to be south of the city, been looking at Burlingame area, hubbie will be working at an office in the city, so doesnt want to long a commute.

Can't help you with fido, but Burlingame is one of my favorite cities in the Bay Area - lovely, small, walkable downtown with all the necessities (including a Peet's Coffee and an Apple Store, and an Il Fornaio restaurant :) ). But it is expensive! Millbrae is a bit cheaper (and has a fabulous number of awesome Chinese restaurants!). Beware of the fog/wind as you go any further north. You may want to look at some East Bay locations - Rockridge is attractive, and Walnut Creek (35 minute BART ride to downtown) is my favorite city in the Bay Area after Palo Alto, and far more affordable. The BART deal makes the East Bay a real option. Orinda and Lafayette are also wonderful, but can get pricey.

sarahlou145 Oct 12th 2009 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 8009581)
Can't help you with fido, but Burlingame is one of my favorite cities in the Bay Area - lovely, small, walkable downtown with all the necessities (including a Peet's Coffee and an Apple Store, and an Il Fornaio restaurant :) ). But it is expensive! Millbrae is a bit cheaper (and has a fabulous number of awesome Chinese restaurants!). Beware of the fog/wind as you go any further north. You may want to look at some East Bay locations - Rockridge is attractive, and Walnut Creek (35 minute BART ride to downtown) is my favorite city in the Bay Area after Palo Alto, and far more affordable. The BART deal makes the East Bay a real option. Orinda and Lafayette are also wonderful, but can get pricey.

Thanks for that, i will do some extra research on craigslist today, never knew there was an apple store there, missed that on our tour of Burlingame

caleyjag Oct 12th 2009 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 8009581)
with all the necessities (including a Peet's Coffee and an Apple Store, and an Il Fornaio restaurant :) ). .

25 years in SF has done it for you :lol::lol::lol: