British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Renting a car while waiting for IAS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/renting-car-while-waiting-ias-902546/)

RollingStones Aug 27th 2017 4:04 pm

Renting a car while waiting for IAS

Thanks to this forum, and pretty persuasive posts by Pulaski, we have an Explorer on order from IAS. However it's not due to be delivered til the end of September.
We arrived last week and because we were loaded with luggage we rented a Kia Sorento from Hertz for a week. This cost $1,100 dollars.
Now we won't need an SUV for a few weeks so we're wondering what the best options are.
Has anyone used Ready Drive though IAS? Is it a good deal?

I'm very grateful for all your help.

Pulaski Aug 27th 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Renting a car while waiting for IAS

Originally Posted by RollingStones (Post 12325411)
..... We arrived last week and because we were loaded with luggage we rented a Kia Sorento from Hertz for a week. This cost $1,100 dollars. ....

WTF! :blink: Not sure if that is because you are in NJ, because it is an SUV, because you rented from an airport, or because you paid for a lot of add-ons, .... or some combination thereof, but that is a scary number!

Find yourself an off-airport rental location (has to be more than x miles from an airport, maybe 5 miles? :unsure:), and you should find rental rates drop by about a third compared to the airport rental rates.

When we rent we usually pay about $30-$35/day for something around the size of a Malibu/Camry/Accord, a smaller car is about $5/ day less. Adding insurance (which our existing car insurance and credit cards cover), would roughly double the daily cost. Rates/week are also usually less than 7× the daily rate - I think usually around 5× the daily rate.

petitefrancaise Aug 27th 2017 5:38 pm

Where I live in Austin, we've rented a people carrier for 7 days a few times - at the airport it's $1k but getting it through a local office it's $750, so yes dump that expensive airport one and hire a smaller car locally.

My local walmart has a Budget rent a car teeny office which is where we go.

Couldn't you persuade IAS to pay for a rental car for you until yours is delivered?

RollingStones Aug 27th 2017 8:06 pm

I did wonder about that, but don't you think it might be a bit too cheeky?

tom169 Aug 27th 2017 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by RollingStones (Post 12325518)
I did wonder about that, but don't you think it might be a bit too cheeky?

You have a business relationship with IAS. Cheekiness isn't in the equation.

If you don't ask, you won't get.

petitefrancaise Aug 27th 2017 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12325525)
You have a business relationship with IAS. Cheekiness isn't in the equation.

If you don't ask, you won't get.

:goodpost:

other people on BE have had rental cars paid for whilst waiting for delivery, especially when it's taking a month as yours is.

Ecto17 Aug 27th 2017 9:22 pm

I would insist on a rental until it arrvies. They are a great organization and we got our new cars from them last week and they provided 2 rental cars for us while we were without ours and we have been in NJ since June. We originally agreed one car but l after a while we needed a second and they agreed to this.
The car rentals in NJ are insane, we are used to renting in other states whilst being on holiday and the NJ rates are easily more then double that which l have paid elsewhere.
Where abouts are you?

RollingStones Aug 28th 2017 12:53 am

We're in Pennsylvania. Must say I'm a bit annoyed that it's costing us twice as much to rent an SUV as our lease for a BIG SUV is going to cost per month.

Ecto17 Aug 28th 2017 1:28 am

Originally Posted by RollingStones (Post 12325646)
We're in Pennsylvania. Must say I'm a bit annoyed that it's costing us twice as much to rent an SUV as our lease for a BIG SUV is going to cost per month.

I would be too in your situation. Give them a call in the morning and l am sure they will help you out.

Pulaski Aug 28th 2017 1:37 am

Originally Posted by RollingStones (Post 12325646)
..... as our lease for a BIG SUV is going to cost per month.

I thought you said you were getting an Explorer? :confused:

RollingStones Aug 28th 2017 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12325674)
I thought you said you were getting an Explorer? :confused:

Isn't an Explorer a big SUV??

Pulaski Aug 28th 2017 2:46 am

Originally Posted by RollingStones (Post 12325678)

No! :lol:

The Expedition is bigger, especially the extended version; it's an SUV body on an F150 chassis.

The Excursion was even bigger, but was discontinued - it was an SUV body on an F250 truck chassis! :blink:

RollingStones Aug 28th 2017 4:13 am

Oh I get it.
An Explorer is a small SUV.

Okaaaay

MidAtlantic Aug 28th 2017 11:35 am

You're in America now. Big is compact; huge is small; gigantic is normal.

civilservant Aug 28th 2017 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by RollingStones (Post 12325678)

Welcome to 'Murica.... no it really really isn't!

As Pulaski rightly says, the Expedition is on an F150 frame, and is about 20ft long. Yours is in the middle between the Escape (smallest) and the Expedition.