Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renting a Car in the UK

Renting a Car in the UK

Old Nov 26th 2018, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting a Car in the UK

Originally Posted by Winston_the_Great_Dane
And if you don't yet have your US licence are you then in illegal limbo? Surely there is some latitude in the amount of time after leaving your residential address...

Again, any references to this?
No specific time limit provided on the .gov website, so it will be up to the police officer as to what is a reasonable amount of time to have at least informed DVLA

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...e-address-fine

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence
Old Nov 26th 2018, 6:43 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You can’t use your UK licence in the UK for the reason you mention. It’s a £1000 fine if you’re stopped.
Not sure what they do now, but in my day it would also have caused the general power of arrest under Section 25 of PACE to come into play. Unable to furnish an address to which a summons can be served. Partly came about to prevent foreign HGV drivers disappearing out of the UK before going to court.

SOCPA allows arrest "To prevent any prosecution for the offence from being hindered by the disappearance of the person being arrested". Wonder if that gets used today in respect to traffic offenses, where a person lives outside of England & Wales.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You can use it in the US as long as your state of residence permits you although that’s usually a very short space of time. Google will give you multiple references.
ImI pretty happy with the use of my UK licence in the USA once I land, itsi more the specific scenario of using your UK licence on a return to blighty - potentially before you've had a chance to get a US license.

I see the info from other posters - incidentally, I always used my US license when driving in the UK last time I was living stateside.
Old Nov 27th 2018, 12:04 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

ImI pretty happy with the use of my UK licence in the USA once I land, itsi more the specific scenario of using your UK licence on a return to blighty - potentially before you've had a chance to get a US license.

I see the info from other posters - incidentally, I always used my US license when driving in the UK last time I was living stateside.
I would suggest that’s quite an unlikely scenario but if you had moved to the US and then decided to return to the UK a week later and rent a car then you wouldn’t be able to drive it legally on your UK licence.
Old Nov 27th 2018, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

We found it very difficult to do much in the USA without a photo id when we first arrived, but the process to get a driving licence was so easy that we got ours within a couple of weeks of landing, so it would be fairly unusual to be traveling back to the UK before obtaining a US licence.