Reload this Page >

Renting a Car in the UK

Renting a Car in the UK

Old Nov 25th 2018, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Andy93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Renting a Car in the UK

Hey all,

I am going back to the UK next month, for a family visit - and need to rent a car. However, I've noticed that UK rental companies typically require "A full and valid driving licence must have been held for a minimum of 12 months".
It's my understanding that my UK licence is no longer valid (Despite still being in date), and I have only held my USA licence for 8 months. Does this mean I will be ineligible to rent a car in the UK? Despite having had a UK licence for 6 years previously??

Thanks,

Andy
Old Nov 25th 2018, 8:47 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting a Car in the UK

You have held a full and valid driving license for 12 months, albeit the 12 months is covered by 2 licenses. If it were me I’d call the rental office in the UK where you will pick the car up and run it past them.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you believe you cannot use your UK licence to drive in the UK? Is it registered to an address whete you have access to mail?

W
Old Nov 25th 2018, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winston_the_Great_Dane
Why do you believe you cannot use your UK licence to drive in the UK? Is it registered to an address whete you have access to mail?

W
UK licenses are legally only valid for those that are resident in the UK. Even if it is still in-date with a valid mailing address, if you don't reside in the UK, it is technically invalidated. Now, this being said - no rental agency would have any way of knowing such.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

Andy93 is an unknown quantity at this point

I chatted with Europcar, of which they said I would have to rent using my UK licence. According to them "As long as the licence is still in date, it will be valid".
This is similar to what I've read elsewhere- as to be "It's valid until it runs out, then you can't renew legally"

Looking at some of the Ts and C's elsewhere, it does state that if you have had less than 12 months on your current licence, you can supply previous licences to prove you've had a licence for more than 12 months.

I don't actually have access to the address on my licence....
Old Nov 26th 2018, 2:38 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You can’t use your UK licence in the UK for the reason you mention. It’s a £1000 fine if you’re stopped. Rent on your US licence but bring your UK licence to show you have 12 months+ driving experience.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 2:56 am
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

I rented a car with Avis in the UK when I flew back after 6 months of being in the US. My US drivers license was 5 months old, wasn't an issue.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
UK licenses are legally only valid for those that are resident in the UK. Even if it is still in-date with a valid mailing address, if you don't reside in the UK, it is technically invalidated. Now, this being said - no rental agency would have any way of knowing such.
If you are involved in an insurance claim the insurer's will soon find that loophole.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
I rented a car with Avis in the UK when I flew back after 6 months of being in the US. My US drivers license was 5 months old, wasn't an issue.
This was my experience as well, and it happened to be Avis as that was the preferred provider for the company I was working for. Good idea to have your UK licence with you as proof you have been eligible to drive for at least 12 months. I wouldn't drive on my UK licence with an invalid address since if something happened you would be subject to a fine plus it may invalidate your insurance. If Europcar are telling you to drive using your UK licence then I would ask for that in writing ahead of time, and if stopped by the police for any reason I would show my current US licence.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

So playing devil's advocate; when must you stop using your UK licence in the UK?

When do you cease to have residency?

USA POE?

After 6 months in US? 12 months?

I can't seem to find anything written down giving formal guidance on this - it's not to say I don't believe it, just curious on the legals.

W
Old Nov 26th 2018, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
+1 for this. Just use your US license, don't even give it a second thought.

NJ licenses (and I imagine most other states too) don't show when you passed your test, they just have an issue and expiration date so they wouldn't know from looking at it.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 4:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

So playing devil's advocate; when must you stop using your UK licence in the UK?

When do you cease to have residency?

USA POE?

After 6 months in US? 12 months?

I can't seem to find anything written down giving formal guidance on this - it's not to say I don't believe it, just curious on the legals.

W
When you are no longer resident at the address on the front of the licence
Old Nov 26th 2018, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
+1

My sister was stopped on her way to work early one morning this year, 5mph over a 40mph limit. She received a warning for being a little over the limit and a fine for having the wrong address on her licence. She had moved 6 months earlier and simply not got round to updating it.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
And if you don't yet have your US licence are you then in illegal limbo? Surely there is some latitude in the amount of time after leaving your residential address...

Again, any references to this?
Old Nov 26th 2018, 5:03 pm

And if you don't yet have your US licence are you then in illegal limbo? Surely there is some latitude in the amount of time after leaving your residential address...

Again, any references to this?
You can use it in the US as long as your state of residence permits you although that’s usually a very short space of time. Google will give you multiple references.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.