Reload this Page >

Renting car in UK - <1 yr on US license

Wikiposts

Renting car in UK - <1 yr on US license

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:15 am
Just Joined

KevG73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting car in UK - <1 yr on US license

I want to rent a car in the UK over Christmas but face a problem in that I only have a photo license for the UK (which I don't even know is valid) and I've had my US license for just a few months. Car rental companies seem to all want more than a year on US licenses.

Is there a way around this or do I need to accept I can't rent a car? My wife has US license but I don't think I'll be letting her drive a manual car on the left....

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all
Default Re: Renting car in UK - <1 yr on US license

Originally Posted by KevG73
I want to rent a car in the UK over Christmas but face a problem in that I only have a photo license for the UK (which I don't even know is valid) and I've had my US license for just a few months. Car rental companies seem to all want more than a year on US licenses.

Is there a way around this or do I need to accept I can't rent a car? My wife has US license but I don't think I'll be letting her drive a manual car on the left....

Check the date on the UK photo license - I have been renting cars in the UK on my trips back home by just showing the UK photo license (I changed the address to my brother's which probably isn't legal but I am moving back to the UK in the next year or so and dont want to have to get a new license etc), I have had no trouble at all.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

You can get automatics for an extra fee. But, then she will probably Crap her Pants when the Irish Meat Trucks come barreling down the Motorways on your Tail, or on either side of you.

Jim.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

The rental companies typically only require that you have held a full license for at least a year, not that you held a specific jurisdiction's license for a year. Thus, you just have to show proof that you held a license prior to your US license....I think your UK photo license should suffice (assuming it was issued more than a year ago).

I encountered a similar problem when I moved from NJ to NY and was issued a NY license with an "issue date" of that same month. A few months later I went to the UK and took a copy of my NJ driving record with me, just in case, which the rental company assured me would suffice as proof of holding a license for 1+ years. Turns out I didn't need it as they rarely check.

Old Nov 24th 2011, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Presuming you are resident in the US, your UK license is no longer valid for driving in the UK - so renting any car on it is likely to result in any insurance or damage waiver coverage being invalidated.

Find a renter that will accept your US license or that will accept it with showing your UK license purely as proof of previous driving history - but make sure the license registered on the rental agreement is your US one.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 4:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Presuming you are resident in the US, your UK license is no longer valid for driving in the UK - so renting any car on it is likely to result in any insurance or damage waiver coverage being invalidated.

Find a renter that will accept your US license or that will accept it with showing your UK license purely as proof of previous driving history - but make sure the license registered on the rental agreement is your US one.
I remember once asking one of the large UK car rental companies which driving licence they wanted to see...my US or UK DL. They said the US DL as I was no longer a UK resident they couldn't accept the UK DL.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 4:25 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

You might find this useful straight from the horse's mouth for future reference!!

Dear Miss Armstrong

Thank you for your email received on 9/9/11. Your email reference number is *******

Whilst an individuals citizenship has no bearing on the validity of an individuals driving licence, I can confirm that providing the licence remains valid and you have not been issued with a licence from another country since leaving GB you may driving on the strength of your GB driving licence on return visits.

If you have been issued with a licence from another country since leaving GB you should use this on your return visit, as the most recently issued licence will be the valid licence.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emai...m_drivers.html

When filling in the form the email reference number **** will be required.

Regards

L Evans

Customer Enquiries Group

DVLA
Old Nov 24th 2011, 4:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

and for those who think they have got around the rules by obtaining a UK Licence using a relative's address etc. this is a reply I received from the DVLA.

I am sorry but it is not possible for an individual who is a UK citizen but is no longer resident in the UK to apply for a further driving licence.

Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

Old Nov 24th 2011, 4:34 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
and for those who think they have got around the rules by obtaining a UK Licence using a relative's address etc. this is a reply I received from the DVLA.

I am sorry but it is not possible for an individual who is a UK citizen but is no longer resident in the UK to apply for a further driving licence.

Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country.

These replies we recieved really need to be in the WIKI!!
Old Nov 24th 2011, 9:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a problem renting with my UK DL as I did not have the paper counterpart, so I used my US DL. Never asked how long I had driven.

And as a plus, well anything naughty would not have been recorded effectively against either.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
These replies we recieved really need to be in the WIKI!!
I agree. It seems that more and more are asking this kind of question, it would be useful to have them in the wiki.

If you girls don't know how to do it I can help .....
Old Nov 25th 2011, 1:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I agree. It seems that more and more are asking this kind of question, it would be useful to have them in the wiki.

Go for it.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 1:04 pm

Yes please do
Old Nov 25th 2011, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

DOH! You were supposed to chastise me for being sexist, not just blow past the comment and ask me to do it.

Oh well. I'll try and get to it tomorrow.