British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Renting a car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/renting-car-590621/)

Wilto Feb 10th 2009 2:58 pm

Renting a car

Renting a car in ATL on 2nd March, I've assumed my UK driver's license is fine to be used over there.

Do I need to take both parts of my license?
Also what kind of a deposit/hold are they likely to put on my credit card?

I'm under 25 so will that increase the deposit?

We are going with Alamo - getting a Pontiac G6, looking to do around 2000 miles over 3 and a half weeks, is that crazy? Should I go for an upgrade?

Mummy in the foothills Feb 10th 2009 3:01 pm

Re: Renting a car

I don't think they rent to people under 25 you may want to check with Alamo.

Wilto Feb 10th 2009 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 7271239)
I don't think they rent to people under 25 you may want to check with Alamo.

Alamo - Have prepayed it too - it's a $25 a day surchage.

Booked it in the UK with uscarhire300.com worked out at a very good price wen the exchange rate was good.

BritishGuy36 Feb 10th 2009 3:30 pm

Check and recheck that the car is INSURED.....damage waiver is NOT insurance....some companies sell both items seperately, and don't force you to purchase either - even though it may be state law for you to ensure you are insured.....

Wilto Feb 10th 2009 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 7271331)
Check and recheck that the car is INSURED.....damage waiver is NOT insurance....some companies sell both items seperately, and don't force you to purchase either - even though it may be state law for you to ensure you are insured.....

I hope that#s what I need.

Your rental includes
* Unlimited Kilometers* Insurance (Collision Damage Waiver, Theft Protection & 3rd party liability)* Extended Protection* Premium Location Fee* Sales & State Taxes* Additional Drivers over 21 years * Tank of Fuel* Young Driver Fee Age 21-24 yrs

Dodgykeeps Feb 10th 2009 4:21 pm

[QUOTE=Wilto;7271227]Do I need to take both parts of my license?

QUOTE]

Whenever I rented a car in the US I used to get a look of "what am I supposed to do with that?" when I gave them the paper part as well.
I would take both but they'll probably only want the card.

glemo Feb 10th 2009 6:44 pm

Hi,
Regarding insurance, many credit cards offer at least property insurance-free of charge to members for rentals.
Check with your credit card company.
However do not let them sell you any premium insurance coverage. Just stress the free coverage, have them send you details or direct you to it on line.
I do it all the time, had a rental damaged some years ago , in a parking lot or wherever and Amex sorted it out no problem..

Enjoy your trip

Bob Feb 10th 2009 6:54 pm

Might want to check with Enterprise, they are pretty good with renting to under 25s...saying that, might not save you much as it won't be cheap.

One thing to also check if you go the visa for insurance cover, what's the liability amount? That's probably a bigger concern rather than just replacing a couple of cars you might mash up, but the oddles you might get sued for if something happened.

glemo Feb 10th 2009 7:14 pm

Always pay for the liability, thats why I stressed property.
I always pay for any passengers as well. usually works out at under $10 a day, but as Bob is implying helps you sleep at nite...
always carry proof of any insurance as well....

Gezza Feb 10th 2009 7:52 pm

I hope you are NOT renting your car from the airport location. They will add up lots of taxex if you do. Get it from the location close to the airport and take a taxi from the airport to take you there.Enterprise is good.Hope it helps.

glemo Feb 10th 2009 7:58 pm

Good point, you could even see if there's a rental office near a MARTA station, would be even cheaper.......
Enterprise are good at picking you up as well, if you were staying in a hotel etc, etc...

lansbury Feb 10th 2009 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Gezza (Post 7272083)
I hope you are NOT renting your car from the airport location. They will add up lots of taxex if you do. Get it from the location close to the airport and take a taxi from the airport to take you there.Enterprise is good.Hope it helps.

He said it was renting with Alamo prepaid in the UK. I did that every trip to the US for 10 years and they never once added anything onto the price. Always picked up at the airport, everything was covered in the UK payment.

Wilto Feb 10th 2009 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 7272255)
He said it was renting with Alamo prepaid in the UK. I did that every trip to the US for 10 years and they never once added anything onto the price. Always picked up at the airport, everything was covered in the UK payment.

Yeah my "prepaid voucher" includes all the fees, I have a break down of all the taxes I have paid for so I will be taking that with me!

I booked this back in September when the exchange rate was much better.

My CC doesn't offer me anything.

So I have CDW and 3rd party which is stated on my prepaid voucher.

Is that enough to get me the car, in theory?

But if I get in a wreck, I'm not covered against being sued.

Is that right?

Need to check if my travel insurance cover anything associated with this.

lansbury Feb 10th 2009 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Wilto (Post 7272334)
Yeah my "prepaid voucher" includes all the fees, I have a break down of all the taxes I have paid for so I will be taking that with me!

I booked this back in September when the exchange rate was much better.

My CC doesn't offer me anything.

So I have CDW and 3rd party which is stated on my prepaid voucher.

Is that enough to get me the car, in theory?

But if I get in a wreck, I'm not covered against being sued.

Is that right?

Need to check if my travel insurance cover anything associated with this.

The prepaid Alamo deal in the UK for US hire covers everything you could get. The 3rd party liability should cover you for just about all reasonable claims against you. If you get drunk and have a wreck and maim someone it wouldn't cover that. The CDW covers the damage to the Alamo car.

You go into the Alamo office give them your booking number, driving license and credit card. They will not charge anything to the card but if don't take it back on time they would run that charge against it. It acts as a sort of deposit against the return of the car.

They will probably offer you a paid upgrade to a larger car. Don't take it as it will not have any discount on it and it just isn't worth it. All Alamo offices I've used then tell you what row the car is parked in on the lot and give you a few bay numbers so you can choose from 3 or 4 different cars. A good bit of the time you get a larger car anyway.

Remember you pre-paid for a tank of gas so take it back as near empty as possible.

Wilto Feb 11th 2009 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 7272563)
The prepaid Alamo deal in the UK for US hire covers everything you could get. The 3rd party liability should cover you for just about all reasonable claims against you. If you get drunk and have a wreck and maim someone it wouldn't cover that. The CDW covers the damage to the Alamo car.

You go into the Alamo office give them your booking number, driving license and credit card. They will not charge anything to the card but if don't take it back on time they would run that charge against it. It acts as a sort of deposit against the return of the car.

They will probably offer you a paid upgrade to a larger car. Don't take it as it will not have any discount on it and it just isn't worth it. All Alamo offices I've used then tell you what row the car is parked in on the lot and give you a few bay numbers so you can choose from 3 or 4 different cars. A good bit of the time you get a larger car anyway.

Remember you pre-paid for a tank of gas so take it back as near empty as possible.

Yeha I thought so Lansbury.

I may take a larger car depending on the cost and if I can get them to bring it down.

May take the old "Just married" sign with me, you never know I may get lucky ;)