Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renting an apartment in NYC

Renting an apartment in NYC

Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renting an apartment in NYC

Hi guys,

We're getting everything sorted for our impending move to NYC on May 22. We're taking the QM2 with our dog, and the (remote) job hunt has begun. So far, so good....

Now we're stuck on renting an apartment, and it's a catch-22. We have enough cash for 6-12 months rent, but we dont have a current income (until we get jobs), and we dont have credit (i have no SSN yet, my USC wife has lived in the UK for 5 years), and our FIL doesn't earn the 80x rent to be guarantor. Short of spending $5k a month for a corporate apartment until we get jobs, does anyone have any suggestions? Apart from panic!

We have a backup option of staying with the in-laws until we're settled, but they're in New Haven which is a bit of a commute!

James

Last edited by jaffy23; Apr 16th 2012 at 4:55 pm. Reason: Semantics!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting an apartment in NYC

Originally Posted by jaffy23
Hi guys,

We're getting everything sorted for our impending move to NYC on May 22. We're taking the QM2 with our dog, and the (remote) job hunt has begun. So far, so good....

Now we're stuck on renting an apartment, and it's a catch-22. We have enough cash for 6-12 months rent, but we dont have a current income (until we get jobs), and we dont have credit (i have no SSN yet, my USC wife has lived in the UK for 5 years), and our FIL doesn't earn the 80x rent to be guarantor. Short of spending $5k a month for a corporate apartment until we get jobs, does anyone have any suggestions? Apart from panic!

We have a backup option of staying with the in-laws until we're settled, but they're in New Haven which is a bit of a commute!

James
When we were apartment hunting it was the pet (cat) that was a bigger problem for us, not lack of credit - although I was working from the get-go and had a letter from my employer confirming my salary. We didn't look in NYC but chose (for me) to commute from the start, and we live about 35 minutes from grand Central on the Metro-North Hudson line.

Commuting from New Haven is possible, also on the Metro-North, if you have no alternative. For many years the New Haven line was the poor relation but it's now getting new trains and I understand its reliability has gone up a lot. Certainly I find my commute on the Hudson line far superior to commuting on Southeastern, but that's not necessarily saying a lot!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:01 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaffy23
Originally Posted by rpjs
Commuting from New Haven is possible, also on the Metro-North, if you have no alternative. For many years the New Haven line was the poor relation but it's now getting new trains and I understand its reliability has gone up a lot. Certainly I find my commute on the Hudson line far superior to commuting on Southeastern, but that's not necessarily saying a lot!
New Haven to Grand Central takes anywhere from 92 to 113 minutes. Getting on at NH (start of the ride) means you'll likely get a seat in the morning. The Metro North trains I've taken have been fine, some nice ones, some not-so-great. I love the trains, though they can be pricey, and I don't mind a long ride as I can read or work the whole way.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Holmgirlj is on a distinguished road

Hi James,
Well, reading your post felt like deja vu! I'm a USC, husband is from the UK. I lived in England for 2 1/2 years and we moved here last May and did the same exact thing....lived with my mom in the New Haven area while looking for an apartment in NYC.
Anyway, we ran into the same predicament with having enough money for the rent, but needing to prove that we are "worthy" in the Landlord's eyes to sign a lease. I had good credit, despite living in the UK for the amount of time that I did....my husband had the job (but no credit!), etc. We spoke with multiple Realtors, etc. and it seemed as though it went on a case by case basis. We just got lucky and were able to still use my mother as a Guarantor (even though she doesn't earn 80x the rent) and showed all of our assets in order to sign onto a lease. In the meantime we did live with my mom for a few months and my husband made the commute from New Haven to the city for his job. Will you be getting a SSN once you arrive in the States-because you will need that as well in order to sign a lease in NYC. Anyway, if you want any specific info or if we can be of any help to you, don't hesitate to send us a message!
Good Luck!
Jen
Old Apr 17th 2012, 6:02 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a native New Yorker who lives in Manhattan. Please feel free to PM me if you need any advice about New York.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

LillyRobeson is on a distinguished road

Just to say that I have been apartment hunting in Queens. Credit hasn't been an issue but employment verification has. That said, you may be best going for a small apartment to begin with which you can demonstrate you can afford. Plenty of apartments here for less than $2000 in safe areas with decent commute to Manhattan.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much for your help. Really excited about this move. We may have an option for one of our friends in DC to be a guarantor; I was just a bit shocked by the 80x rule!

New Haven would be a fine commute. My USC wife has been taking the train from Windsor to London for 3 years now and it takes her about 80 mins each way (without obligatory UK rail delays), so I'm sure I could brave it.

Penguinbar - thank you for your offer of advice. This forum is so supportive.