Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renting In America

Renting In America

Old Nov 14th 2007, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting In America

Originally Posted by Tracym
PMSL I am going to come over for coffe.

Purely because I want to try out that toilet!
Come on - I'll get kettle on.. and put the toilet on the rear cleanse cycle, followed by the oscillating rinse!!! (I kid you not!)
I haven't dared use any of the buttons - for fear it'd eat me alive! If you're not quick the bloody thing flushes before you've finished! And just try cleaning it before the flippin' lid closes! That things got a mind of its own. My daughter's scared of it!!!!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Come on - I'll get kettle on.. and put the toilet on the rear cleanse cycle, followed by the oscillating rinse!!! (I kid you not!)
I haven't dared use any of the buttons - for fear it'd eat me alive! If you're not quick the bloody thing flushes before you've finished! And just try cleaning it before the flippin' lid closes! That things got a mind of its own. My daughter's scared of it!!!!
If the lid randomly closes - sounds like your husband should be scared of it!

My insane schedule should be over shortly - I'll be in touch.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
If the lid randomly closes - sounds like your husband should be scared of it!

My insane schedule should be over shortly - I'll be in touch.
He has had a few near misses!
A business colleague of his came round the other day and used "our facilities" only he thought while he was weeing that he'd play with the buttons - big mistake - the lid shut and he p**ed all over the floor!! That'll learn him!!!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
He has had a few near misses!
A business colleague of his came round the other day and used "our facilities" only he thought while he was weeing that he'd play with the buttons - big mistake - the lid shut and he p**ed all over the floor!! That'll learn him!!!
Hope he cleaned it up!

At least I'll be safe from THAT problem, being female and all.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 6:42 pm
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I'm afraid Giantaxe is entirely correct - the SF City market is pretty tight and people are indeed viewing with their credit reports in their pockets - I have seen 50+ people queuing up outside apartments in some cases and people tussling to complete the landlords application forms on the floor in the apartment to hand it in first.

If you are going to rent in SF (and again, Giantaxe is correct on the easier situation in the boonies) I would certainly get a letter from your employer detailing you salary, benefits, etc.

I've always found craigslist works OK.
I'll add another to GIantaxe and Cape Blue.

I've just been through the entire "trying to find someplace to live in SF hell" and trust me, it is hellish.

Expect lots of competition for reasonably priced apartments ($1500-$2300 one bedrooms), you'll have to put together a portfolio before you start looking.

Include:

1) Resume
2) Letter or employment with salary included.
3) Credit report - I know this is your problem and I'll address this in a second.
4) Checkbook handy to put a small amount down (approx $300) to show strong interest.
5) Some people will even include a statement of purpose (I'm dead serious about this)

Back to the credit report issue.

I had exactly the same problem and the only way I know to deal with it is to throw/show money at the landlords/realty company.

By this I mean, you can either offer to put down a substantial deposit (by law they're not allowed to charge more than 2x rent, but they can ask for the 2x rent in addition to first and last month's rent) OR if you have sufficient funds, you can give them a copy of your bank statement if you have funds totaling more than 5x monthly rent as well as the normal deposit amount.

Even with the above, it's not guaranteed. Many landlords just want a person with a seriously stable income (usually 3x rent) with good references. This is due to the fact that tenant's rights are incredibly strong in SF and oftentimes, trying to evict someone becomes a lengthy process which will cost a landlord an exorbitant sum.

Terribly sorry if this sounds really garbled. Let me know if there's any more info I can offer, but I can only really speak from an experiental point of view.

BEST OF LUCK!

Last edited by twiggy1984; Nov 14th 2007 at 6:47 pm. Reason: grammatical error
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:13 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twiggy1984
I'll add another to GIantaxe and Cape Blue.

I've just been through the entire "trying to find someplace to live in SF hell" and trust me, it is hellish.

Expect lots of competition for reasonably priced apartments ($1500-$2300 one bedrooms), you'll have to put together a portfolio before you start looking.

Include:

1) Resume
2) Letter or employment with salary included.
3) Credit report - I know this is your problem and I'll address this in a second.
4) Checkbook handy to put a small amount down (approx $300) to show strong interest.
5) Some people will even include a statement of purpose (I'm dead serious about this)

Back to the credit report issue.

I had exactly the same problem and the only way I know to deal with it is to throw/show money at the landlords/realty company.

By this I mean, you can either offer to put down a substantial deposit (by law they're not allowed to charge more than 2x rent, but they can ask for the 2x rent in addition to first and last month's rent) OR if you have sufficient funds, you can give them a copy of your bank statement if you have funds totaling more than 5x monthly rent as well as the normal deposit amount.

Even with the above, it's not guaranteed. Many landlords just want a person with a seriously stable income (usually 3x rent) with good references. This is due to the fact that tenant's rights are incredibly strong in SF and oftentimes, trying to evict someone becomes a lengthy process which will cost a landlord an exorbitant sum.

Terribly sorry if this sounds really garbled. Let me know if there's any more info I can offer, but I can only really speak from an experiental point of view.

BEST OF LUCK!
A statement of purpose! Do you have any examples of what some of them actually say? Only in America.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:12 pm
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
A statement of purpose! Do you have any examples of what some of them actually say? Only in America.
hee hee. I know. Only in bloody SF!

They usually entail things like what you plan to do with your life, what your job is and where you see your career going, starting a family etc...

It is absolutely mindboggling!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by twiggy1984
hee hee. I know. Only in bloody SF!

They usually entail things like what you plan to do with your life, what your job is and where you see your career going, starting a family etc...

It is absolutely mindboggling!
Sounds like an absolute nightmare.. and when you do find somewhere in SF it might all fall down on you anyway... Many people have gone east and rented out in the cheaper areas.. I know people who commute from Sacramento. 2 hour commute.. but hey at least they have a place to come home to every night (late). And there is always Vacaville.. or if you have plenty of money Pleasanton and Livermore....
Old Nov 14th 2007, 10:16 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britinsac
Sounds like an absolute nightmare.. and when you do find somewhere in SF it might all fall down on you anyway... Many people have gone east and rented out in the cheaper areas.. I know people who commute from Sacramento. 2 hour commute.. but hey at least they have a place to come home to every night (late). And there is always Vacaville.. or if you have plenty of money Pleasanton and Livermore....
I have been working in San Ramon and Danville today I would suggest either of those much nicer then Pleasanton or Livermore but thats my opinion.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

DEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Renting In America

Originally Posted by jonball
Hello! i am sorry if I am asking a question that has already been addressed but I have not bee able to find it.
I am moving to San Francisco in December from the UK with a job waiting for me (I am an American/British citizen but left the States when I was 8). I will need to rent an apartment at the end of January but as I have no credit history in America does anybody seem to know what options will be available?
I moved from Birmingham to San Francisco just over a year ago. I was in the same dilemma as yourself. I checked out Craigslist, and when I emailed people I explained my situation. Many of the advertisers were private, and understanding. Those apartments which were managed, were not always helpful. Basically, I rented a large room sharing with a lovely person. This was the cheapest option for me, whilst I built up credit and savings. 3 months later I moved into my own rented apartment.

If theres anything else you need to know, then email me!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

ZARTAN is an unknown quantity at this point

renting in america is way easier than renting in britain. they dont require proof of address, proof of employment, or references. all they do is run a credit check on you, which will require a social security number. if you rent privately, its even better. best thing for you to do is ask around chinatown. private chinese landlords usually dont ask for too much as you long you can convince him that you can pay. you dont actually need credit to rent an apartment. as long as you dont have bad credit.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZARTAN
renting in america is way easier than renting in britain. they dont require proof of address, proof of employment, or references. all they do is run a credit check on you, which will require a social security number. if you rent privately, its even better. best thing for you to do is ask around chinatown. private chinese landlords usually dont ask for too much as you long you can convince him that you can pay. you dont actually need credit to rent an apartment. as long as you dont have bad credit.
but as mentioned a few times, it does depend on where you want to live, sure if you want to live in a dive you won't have as much effort, but if you want to live somewhere nice and which has more competition your going to have to play their games.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:17 am
Just Joined

ZARTAN is an unknown quantity at this point

ive lived in some very nice places in usa and only needed a credit check. whereas in the uk i was required to pay 6 months rent in advance if i didnt show proof of employment, references. and even then, you still needed proof of address. i dont know what the uk's obsession is with proof of address.

Last edited by ZARTAN; Nov 19th 2007 at 12:25 am.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 2:40 am
Just Joined

crunch will become famous soon enoughcrunch will become famous soon enough

I managed to get a mortgage(ok before all this sub prime business) with no us credit so renting will be ok.

I would book into a motel 6 for a couple weeks, then check out the boards at heath food shops. there are always roommate wanted ads. They may well be hairylegged veggy dykes but at least you have a roof over ur head.

after 6 months or so and if you arent on the next plane to blighty youll have a little credit history and cash to move into your own place.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 12:09 am
Just Joined

winkworth has a brilliant futurewinkworth has a brilliant futurewinkworth has a brilliant futurewinkworth has a brilliant futurewinkworth has a brilliant futurewinkworth has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by crunch
I managed to get a mortgage(ok before all this sub prime business) with no us credit so renting will be ok.

I would book into a motel 6 for a couple weeks, then check out the boards at heath food shops. there are always roommate wanted ads. They may well be hairylegged veggy dykes but at least you have a roof over ur head.

after 6 months or so and if you arent on the next plane to blighty youll have a little credit history and cash to move into your own place.
Hi there,

I'm a hairy legged, veggy dyke - do you know anyone who wants to rent a room? Well one out of the three anyway!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.