Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renting In America

Renting In America

Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:50 am
Just Joined

jonball is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting In America

Hello! i am sorry if I am asking a question that has already been addressed but I have not bee able to find it.
I am moving to San Francisco in December from the UK with a job waiting for me (I am an American/British citizen but left the States when I was 8). I will need to rent an apartment at the end of January but as I have no credit history in America does anybody seem to know what options will be available?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:16 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting In America

Originally Posted by jonball
Hello! i am sorry if I am asking a question that has already been addressed but I have not bee able to find it.
I am moving to San Francisco in December from the UK with a job waiting for me (I am an American/British citizen but left the States when I was 8). I will need to rent an apartment at the end of January but as I have no credit history in America does anybody seem to know what options will be available?
Its not getting very good press at the moment but I would try
www.craigslist.com or if you feel like sharing whilst you look around then try this site www.roommates.com this is a cool place because you get to see photo's on some of them before you respond etc.

Good Luck
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Ok thanks, I have had a look at Craigslists and that is very helpful but my main concern is not that I won't find anywhere it is that many state that you need a good Credit Report and from not living there for nearly 20 year I have no Credit History in the US. I understand that this can pose as a problem for many internationals who arrive in America.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I rented in the Texas without any credit history over there at an apt complex with a proper management company.

They knew they couldn't really check me out, so just insisted I showed my work contract (proving my salary) and wanted a copy of my passport. I didn't even have a social security number at that point since I'd only been in the country 2-days. The apt complex was located near to various huge international companies (Microsoft, Nokia, etc) and they really were not fazed.

Can only speak of my personal experience of course, but I didn't have a problem. Just make sure you have some paperwork to prove you can pay rent.

Funnily enough, at all consequent apts I had to fill out every form under the sun and get completely checked since I of course then did have a SS number, DL, etc that they could look at!
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

I guess that suggests its pot luck on where I look then! haha
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I would just call prior to going round and looking at any. Say what your salary is (seems a little blunt, but will have to come up!) and who you will be working for. Also say you are from the UK and so won't have the big history.

If you currently rent, make sure to get contact details of your landlord so they may check that you've been paying ok in the past. I had the sort of opposite experience to you, when I came to the UK after spending 5 years in the US. Here, they insisted on calling my apt complex in the states to see I'd been paying okay for the last year.

You're right, might be a little luck involved! But if you just call first, you at least won't be wasting your time.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

that is a good idea, I can contact my last few landlords here for a couple references. Do you think it would be worth getting my Credit History from here in the UK? I have a pretty good history but I know that it means nothing in America, however do you think they would take any notice of it?
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

They had no interest in my previous credit history or my driving record when going for car insurance. The conversation with Progressive went like this:

Me: Why is my car insurance so expensive? Why can't you take into account my UK driving history?

Progressive: Because we are unable to check to see if you've had any convictions or accidents in the UK.

Me: Okay, whatever. Carry on.

Progressive: Next question sir, have you had any accidents or convictions in the last 3 years?

Me: Err...

Have fun sorting yourself out First couple of months are bit heavy going!
Old Nov 12th 2007, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Ooooo I'm looking forward to that!! haha
I am anticipating a rough couple of months but hopefully should be worth it!! Not going to bother driving for a year or so either so that is one thing that I can put on the back burner!!
Why do the tasks ahead just seems to be growing and growing!!!???
Old Nov 12th 2007, 2:28 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

If you rent from a management company (i.e. an apartment building) you can expect a credit check.

If you rent from a private landlord, a credit check is actually kind of rare.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonball
You have a Social Security Number (SSN)?

Have you ever been an additional cardholder on either parents credit cards if they ever lived in the US? If so, this means you'll be able to piggy back on their credit history. Thus, you'll have some kind of US credit rating.

Check the BE Wiki on US credit and creating a credit history.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Celsius
You have a Social Security Number (SSN)?

Have you ever been an additional cardholder on either parents credit cards if they ever lived in the US? If so, this means you'll be able to piggy back on their credit history. Thus, you'll have some kind of US credit rating.

Check the BE Wiki on US credit and creating a credit history.
I think they are trying to close this particular loophole to getting credit, I believe as of the start of 2008 being an authorised user on a card will not benefit your score.

An alternative to getting a credit check is to put down a month or two deposit - most of the apartments around here offered this to me as an alternative, not ideal, but if you really want a certain place and don't mind tying up the money for a while it might be worth it

Last edited by Longy; Nov 12th 2007 at 3:18 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

I do have an SSN but have not used it for the last 17 years and I have never been on any sort of card your financial document so I am guessing that my Credit Report really doesn't exist
Old Nov 12th 2007, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

I had no problems getting an apartment, I just went into the offices with proof that I had a job (you'll need copies of either two or three of your payslips) and my SSN and that was that. Paid the deposit and I was in
Old Nov 12th 2007, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
If you rent from a management company (i.e. an apartment building) you can expect a credit check.

If you rent from a private landlord, a credit check is actually kind of rare.
This really depends on how strong the rental market is, imo: weak rental market for lanlords, the less picky they get, and vice versa. The problem with SF is that it has once again become a very strong rental market with significantly increasing rents, so landlords can afford to be picky about things like references, credit checks and pets. One thing that may help is a reference from your employer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.