Reload this Page >

Renter's Insurance for ExPats

Renter's Insurance for ExPats

Old Dec 9th 2018, 8:53 am
Just Joined

GregAllum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renter's Insurance for ExPats

Hi all

I'm sure this may have been asked before but couldn't find the relevant thread. We are moving to San Fran in January and need to obtain Renter's Insurance for two reasons, 1) to insure our belongings and 2) to obtain proof of residency for daughter's school application.

I've struggled to find a company that can provide a quote whilst we're still in UK, any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks, Greg
Old Dec 9th 2018, 11:42 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renter's Insurance for ExPats

Do you already have an apartment secured or a rented house? If so, then the lease should be sufficient to enroll your daughter in school along with the utility order to turn on power. I can understand why they won't quote if you aren't already in the place. You are still in the UK as are your belongings. Do you have pictures of your expensive items, i.e. jewelry, electronics, etc. that are to be insured as contents?

For my renter's insurance I've only used Nationwide Insurance. You can try them. You can also try GEICO.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 9th 2018 at 12:30 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 11:43 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to prove residency before you're resident. I'm not surprised the insurance company can't do it yet - most insurance rates are at least in part a reference to credit score.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Do you already have an apartment secured or a rented house? If so, then the lease should be sufficient to enroll your daughter in school along with the utility order to turn on power. I can understand why they won't quote if you aren't already in the place. You are still in the UK as are your belongings. Do you have pictures of your expensive items, i.e. jewelry, electronics, etc. that are to be insured as contents?

For my renter's insurance I've only used Nationwide Insurance. You can try them. You can also try GEICO.
The School Districts criteria is pretty stringent see below, so renter's insurance seems a quicker win but hard to obtain all 3x in time for their deadline Feb 8, when we move mid-Jan

REQUIRED: Attach or upload the following documents with your application. Your application cannot be processed for assignment without the required documents.

1. Birth Certificate to verify student age

2. ID of Parent/Guardian to validate student/adult applicant relationship for student safety

3. Residence Documentation to verify neighborhood priority (3 documents are required. See examples below.) Additional documents may be requested to ensure accuracy. All new, returning, current non transition grade and promoting students from pre-school must prove their residence. A student’s residence is presumed to be the legal residence of the parent(s) or guardian(s) who have custody of the child, continually reside in Oakland and is at his/her stated address when not working or in school. There can only be one legal residence for the child. P.O. Boxes, workplace addresses or businesses do not constitute legal residences, regardless of ownership. Families who are in transition, please see the Families in Transition information.
  • A utility bill dated within 45 days: PG&E, EBMUD, Land telephone line, Cable/Satellite TV bill, Garbage bill
  • In combination only: automobile registration and automobile insurance. These documents must be provided together
  • Homeowner's/renter's insurance policy
  • Lease agreement with owner's documentation
  • Property tax statement: Current property tax bill from Alameda County Tax Assessor' Office.
  • Official letter from a social services/government agency dated within 45 days
  • OUSD reserves the right to request additional proof of residency, if needed to support placement based on OUSD enrollment policies.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GregAllum
Hi all

I'm sure this may have been asked before but couldn't find the relevant thread. We are moving to San Fran in January and need to obtain Renter's Insurance for two reasons, 1) to insure our belongings and 2) to obtain proof of residency for daughter's school application.

I've struggled to find a company that can provide a quote whilst we're still in UK, any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks, Greg
Arrange the insurance when in San Fran. Companies won't quote when you are still in UK. Renters insurance is not expensive and easy to set up.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks
Old Dec 9th 2018, 9:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not all those documents are required. You only need three and you will have the child's passport stamp with the visa in it (1); your lease (2); your utility bill (3) or the cable bill (4). I believe this is standard for most school districts nationwide.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 10:05 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

plenty of my international assignees use Lemonade.com for renter's insurance.
You do need to have a lease though and you also need to know if the landlord/apartment community are to be listed as interested party. In Texas they are listed for apartments and usually the amount of coverage is $100k
Nobody is getting asked to provide anything other than a means of payment