Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Rental requirements issue - please help/advice needed

Rental requirements issue - please help/advice needed

Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

lulublue14 has a brilliant futurelulublue14 has a brilliant futurelulublue14 has a brilliant futurelulublue14 has a brilliant futurelulublue14 has a brilliant futurelulublue14 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rental requirements issue - please help/advice needed

Originally Posted by hoffage123
I am a broadcast journalist who is currently moving over as well (but on an immigrant visa) - the market is massively more fragmented over in the US, and you will be competing with local applicants - if you want to stand a chance you will need to ensure your credentials are top-notch and be prepared for a period of unemployment whilst you get your face known.
Lucky you with your immigrant visa haha when you say competing with local applications, do you mean that even with a work permit I'd have less chance? Why is that? My employer will write recommendations etc. and I have a pretty specialized role so hopefully there'll be less applicants than for a producer's assistant role or some stuff like that lol
I am indeed prepared for a period of unemployment a friend of mine who was working at FOX also moved to LA and it took him 3 months to find a job. I'd be happy with that to be honest, as long as we can rent an apartment without it!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

lulublue14 has a brilliant futurelulublue14 has a brilliant futurelulublue14 has a brilliant futurelulublue14 has a brilliant futurelulublue14 has a brilliant futurelulublue14 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sorry, I don't know much about the media business, but I do know that all the "traditional media" have been struggling to adjust to the impact of the internet. TV doesn't, so far as I can tell seem to have been hit as hard as the print media, but I suspect there is a lot of competition for job in TV in LA.
Yeah no problem, well TV is still in good shape, at least, in the same shape as it is in the UK! Also, I do work in non-linear television rather than linear so I have an edge with that haha
Thanks for your reply though, it's really nice to get some advice!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lulublue14
Lucky you with your immigrant visa haha when you say competing with local applications, do you mean that even with a work permit I'd have less chance? Why is that? My employer will write recommendations etc. and I have a pretty specialized role so hopefully there'll be less applicants than for a producer's assistant role or some stuff like that lol
I am indeed prepared for a period of unemployment a friend of mine who was working at FOX also moved to LA and it took him 3 months to find a job. I'd be happy with that to be honest, as long as we can rent an apartment without it!
One thing that I have discovered during my job research, is that a lot of markets are very fond of having 'native' (i.e. to the area) staff in front-facing roles; it may be different for background positions. Reporters from other areas are called colloquially 'transplants'. That may give you an idea. However the US is a massive place and attitudes could well be different in LA. I am applying in NY state, so that is where my experience will be based.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
LA on a single income, and that income is only $50k?

Ouch. Monthly expenses will eat that alive.

What are his provisions for health insurance?
Well ok, now I got that it's rubbish!!! The 50k is an estimate just by converting his £ salary in $, not what they've told us he'd get. Hearing what you guys have been saying, we really hope it's not going to be 50k lol
Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes also - $50K seems a bit low for the LA area. What area of work is it that your husband works in?

He needs to factor in cost of visa, relocation expenses etc as well as part of the package - it sounds a little like the company is transferring him there on the cheap, but I can't be sure. Others who have direct experience of this will be able to advise.

Also, what visa category is he applying for admission under as with some categories the spouse is not legally entitled to work?

Hoffage
I agree! Is that $50k before or after taxes? Will your medical insurance premiums be deducted from that amount? Basically how much of that money will he have in his pocket when he gets paid?

There are areas in and around LA that you could afford, but they are either going to be far, far away or you aren't going to want to live there.

Where is his job at in LA?
Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

One thing that I have discovered during my job research, is that a lot of markets are very fond of having 'native' (i.e. to the area) staff in front-facing roles; it may be different for background positions. Reporters from other areas are called colloquially 'transplants'. That may give you an idea. However the US is a massive place and attitudes could well be different in LA. I am applying in NY state, so that is where my experience will be based.
Oh yeah I can understand that "native" attitude thing, especially for journalists. But I have a VERY background position, no viewer will see me
What I do is manage content on channels but especially on non-linear services so my hope is to find something at Neflix, Hulu etc. something like that. Hopefully the fact that I am French/British won't be a problem for those roles!! Well good luck with your search then and your life in NY, must be quite a move as well!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I agree! Is that $50k before or after taxes? Will your medical insurance premiums be deducted from that amount? Basically how much of that money will he have in his pocket when he gets paid?

There are areas in and around LA that you could afford, but they are either going to be far, far away or you aren't going to want to live there.

Where is his job at in LA?
hey there!
Thanks for your reply. Well as I said before to one of these guys, the 50k is an estimate we made and we are not sure what sort of things he'll get as part of his package. I will update this thread once I know more!
His job is in Venice and you're right, I've seen stuff that was far and cheap or horrible and cheap lol Hopefully, the guarantor thing will work and they won't mind us having just 1 income for a few months...
Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

hey there!
Thanks for your reply. Well as I said before to one of these guys, the 50k is an estimate we made and we are not sure what sort of things he'll get as part of his package. I will update this thread once I know more!
His job is in Venice and you're right, I've seen stuff that was far and cheap or horrible and cheap lol Hopefully, the guarantor thing will work and they won't mind us having just 1 income for a few months...
Also - mentioned it before, but try to get them to apply under a category that allows you to work also. No sense going on a visa and then being snookered that way.

Hoffage
Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well good luck with your search then and your life in NY, must be quite a move as well!
Thanks - you too,

Hoffage
Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Also - mentioned it before, but try to get them to apply under a category that allows you to work also. No sense going on a visa and then being snookered that way.

Hoffage
Yep of course, well they are either applying for a L1 or a E2, and from what I have seen, I can get a spouse visa and then apply for a EAD there. Hopefully, I am not wrong on this!!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

hey there!
Well best of luck!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 2:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a few thoughts as to how your budget might work out.

$50k = $4150/mth, on that money there won't be much tax, so he might get to keep 90% of that. Say $3,735, net.

Medical insurance and expenses (copays and deductibles): $500
Food and household supplies: $500
Two cheap car payments: $500
Car insurance: $200 (yes, per month!)
Gas (petrol): $300 (you will drive a lot more than you expect)
Utilities: $200 (I hear utilities in CA are high, this might be low).

So far we have reached $2,200, leaving $1,535 for rent and anything/ everything else.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 20th 2014 at 2:32 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 2:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

He is working in the special effects industry, he is a technical support engineer for VFX software.
Then his salary is beyond shit and laughable.

He's being conned if he's on the engineering side of things.

Options are, find a shit hole to live in, or pony up a massive deposit, more than the first/last +3 months, plus animal deposit.

Edit: if he gets a L1 and you get L2, it can take 90 days for you to get the EAD to allow you to work.

Last edited by Bob; Jan 20th 2014 at 2:28 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Here are a few thoughts as to how your budget might work out.

$50k = $4150/mth, on that money there won't be much tax, so he might get to keep 90% of that. Say $3,735, net.

Medical insurance and expenses (copays and deductibles): $500
Food and household supplies: $500
Two cheap car payments: $500
Car insurance: $200 (yes, per month!)
Gas (petrol): $300 (you will drive a lot more than you expect)
Utilities: $200 (I hear utilities in CA are high, this might be low).

So far we have reached $2,200, leaving $1,535 for rent and everything/ anything else.
They could probably get away with just one car and insurance is so regional it's really hard to say how much it will be. Living in a flat their utilities (well say gas and water) will probably be included. Still that $200 may well cover electricity (I've heard bills are pretty high, haven't lived there for many years, so may well be) Only the two of them, they could probably have cheaper food bills until they both have jobs.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Then his salary is beyond shit and laughable.

He's being conned if he's on the engineering side of things.

Options are, find a shit hole to live in, or pony up a massive deposit, more than the first/last +3 months, plus animal deposit.

Edit: if he gets a L1 and you get L2, it can take 90 days for you to get the EAD to allow you to work.
I REALLY hope they're going to align his salary to the average a technical support engineer should earn (I have seen 70k). We'll see. Thanks for your input though, it made us realize what the different was between US and UK!
I know about the 90 days, I am giving myself 3 months to find a job, hopefully that will be enough! As you know about that, do you know if they can refuse the EAD? Or as long as you have the L2 they will give you a EAD?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.