Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Rental query

Rental query

Old Aug 4th 2007, 5:58 am
Just Joined

neojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to all
Question Rental query

Might seem like a silly question, but how do I go about finding an apartment rental? we intend to rent a short while before we buy.

I am looking to move somewhere between Austin and San Antonio, Texas.

There will be my wife, 2 girls (7 & 5) and myself. Where do you advise me to start (at long distance) to find a place for when we arrive at the end of September?

I don't (yet) have a U.S. credit rating, but will be earning a good salary. (Should I get a letter from my company - would that help even?)

I really need to get onto this is my visa will be fast tracked and we intend to move by mid September.

regards

- G
Old Aug 4th 2007, 6:05 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental query

http://www.move.com/apartments/?poe=move

http://www.rent.com/

http://www.apartments.com/

http://www.apartmentguide.com/

when you find one you like you can check it out here but there are loads of negative comments and obvious manager glowing ones so read between the lines -
http://www.apartmentratings.com/

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...nancial_Topics Will help you get info on the credit info stuff

Last edited by Irn-bru; Aug 4th 2007 at 6:13 am.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 1:03 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Craiglist Texas:

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/tx
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:51 am
traveling

Sorry, I don't know about this. So I can not help you. :curse:

Old Oct 10th 2007, 7:23 am
traveling

Smile Re: Rental query

anybody else could help?

Old Oct 10th 2007, 7:35 am
Account Closed

cassandra_trotter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neojynx
Might seem like a silly question, but how do I go about finding an apartment rental? we intend to rent a short while before we buy.

I am looking to move somewhere between Austin and San Antonio, Texas.

There will be my wife, 2 girls (7 & 5) and myself. Where do you advise me to start (at long distance) to find a place for when we arrive at the end of September?

I don't (yet) have a U.S. credit rating, but will be earning a good salary. (Should I get a letter from my company - would that help even?)

I really need to get onto this is my visa will be fast tracked and we intend to move by mid September.

regards

- G

Try louisiana, its cheap and jobs everywhere. Got my house for $11,000 and a local job, who cares if its hurricane alley
Old Oct 10th 2007, 1:53 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on whether you find a good, private landlord, you can get around the no credit rating problem by putting down a big cash deposit or by getting your company to guarantee the payments.
Originally Posted by cassandra_trotter
Try louisiana
Not too convenient for commuting to Austin, though!
Old Oct 10th 2007, 1:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Whats all this ..the idiot posting thread ..sheesh .,.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:06 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Iz ths duh tread for spccial ppl?
Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:15 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

EDIT: F**KIN' MORONS! I didn't even see the date on the post that genius Traveling responded to! Jeez.

Neojynx, I'm sorry that you managed to get three of the most moronic replies EVUH in this thread.

Irn-Bru's links are good.

We used a free relocation person here in Dallas, and she turned out to be amazingly good. Sadly, she's not in the business anymore. However, there must be others.

Her deal was that she was free to us, and worked on commission from the apartments. She asked us various questions by email when we were still in the UK, then emailed us a shortlist of potential apartments based on our needs. Once we had selected the short-shortlist, we arranged to meet on the day we arrived in the US, and she drove us around each place to take a look.

We found a great first apartment that way, and she probably got a healthy commission from them.

Google for "free relocation" and the area you're interested in. Certainly you can do it yourself using the links, and it'll work just fine. But personally, I think if you can find a good relocation person at this end, they can save you a bunch of hassle (like finding the places you've seen online, when you're jet lagged and in a hire car!).

Last edited by dbj1000; Oct 10th 2007 at 2:18 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:19 pm
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by traveling
Sorry, I don't know about this. So I can not help you. :curse:
I do hope you stick around. You sound like you're going to be great fun!
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:28 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

one other option is seeing if any of the real estate properties near you will consider a lease. With the housing market doing so cruddy - more are prepared to go this route as it at least means their mortgage is paid and the empty property isnt costing them anything ifd they cant sell it.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:38 pm
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by MsElui
one other option is seeing if any of the real estate properties near you will consider a lease. With the housing market doing so cruddy - more are prepared to go this route as it at least means their mortgage is paid and the empty property isnt costing them anything ifd they cant sell it.
Oh gawd, don't make the same mistake as me...

This question was posted MONTHS ago. Some idiot trawled it up from history.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Oh gawd, don't make the same mistake as me...

This question was posted MONTHS ago. Some idiot trawled it up from history.
But we have to overlook the fact that they are a Newbie and maybe have no idea how fast this site run's
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:52 pm
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by britvic
But we have to overlook the fact that they are a Newbie and maybe have no idea how fast this site run's
Have you read their replies? They trawled up this thread to say "I don't know".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.