British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Rental Car in the UK and AMEX insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/rental-car-uk-amex-insurance-601888/)

dh010447 Apr 5th 2009 3:08 pm

Rental Car in the UK and AMEX insurance

Hey guys,

So - we're off on our2 week tour of the UK on Friday and will be needing to get a rental car for 10 days. Bloody - hell, expensive:

Car: $310.14
CDW/TPW: $195.45
Second Driver: $115.56

Total: $621.15 - and there is still an excess for the CDW / TPW of about 500 GBP

So - was looking into AMEX's Premium Car Rental Protection, and it looks like this covers Collision and Theft and has no excess. Anyone used this before? For $24.95 it seems a bit too good to be true, but if this is the case, it will save us about $200. I tried to call them today, but they arnt open on Sundays.

MrEmjoy Apr 5th 2009 3:26 pm

Re: Rental Car in the UK and AMEX insurance

Check that your insurance doesn't ALREADY cover it!!

meauxna Apr 5th 2009 4:59 pm

Usually if the second driver is your spouse you don't have to pay extra. But you have to make a big fat point of telling them (we have different surnames).

dh010447 Apr 5th 2009 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7453589)
Usually if the second driver is your spouse you don't have to pay extra. But you have to make a big fat point of telling them (we have different surnames).

I knew that was the case in the US, but I thought they charged for a second driver in the UK no matter who it was...

meauxna Apr 5th 2009 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by dh010447 (Post 7454007)
I knew that was the case in the US, but I thought they charged for a second driver in the UK no matter who it was...

hmmm... I was thinking Mexico, but on reflection, I've never been the 2nd driver in the UK so don't know if it is different there.
I hate feeling like I've been scammed tho. :)

Jerseygirl Apr 5th 2009 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by dh010447 (Post 7454007)

The UK rental car companies always insist on charging extra if I want my husband to drive too...Hertz charge 10GPD per day.

dh010447 Apr 6th 2009 3:42 pm

Just called AMEX to get the details - and it covers everything other than liability. Extract from email:

•    The Cardmember must be the primary renter on the rental agreement
•    Primary coverage is provided for theft or damage to a rental vehicle
•    There is no coverage provided for liability
•    Coverage is provided for Accidental Death and Dismemberment
•    Coverage is provided for Excess Medical Expenses
•    Coverage is provided for Personal Property
•    Coverage is worldwide except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica and New Zealand
•    There is coverage provided for Loss of Use or Loss of Revenue
•    Cardmember must use an enrolled Card to pay for a rental auto
•    Full-size vans, full-sized SUV's, pick-up trucks, and luxury vehicles are covered
•    Coverage is provided for up to 42 consecutive days

Liability isnt an issue, because car rental places have this anyway as standard. Taken from europcars website:

7 INSURANCE
All the vehicles in Europcar's fleet are insured against Bodily Injury and/or Property Damage that you might inflict on a third party as a result of an accident involving the Vehicle. The amounts for such liability cover are available on request in the country of rental.
In particular, you must comply with the rule concerning permitted destinations, as set out in Article "use of the vehicle" above, in order to have the full benefit of the insurance provisions.
IMPORTANT NOTE:
Damage to the under body-work and/or roof due to collision with bridges, tunnels, overhanging structures etc., is excluded from the damage cover, unless force majeure can be proved. Exceptions to this regulation may apply in some countries.

Total cost: $40 ish - saves a fortune and everytime you pay for a rental car with your AMEX card, they automatically add the premium and your covered.