British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Rental background checks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/rental-background-checks-748718/)

Jabez Feb 16th 2012 4:48 pm

Rental background checks

My wife and I have just moved from the uk to Florida. She is on a h1b and I am on a h4 visa.
We are in the process of applying for a condo rental, so we can move out of the temp accommodation. We managed to get the agent to check our uk credit history so no issues there. However apparently it is normal to do full background checks including criminal record checks on new tenants. Because we have only just arrived when they do the checks on line they pull a blank. My wifes Ssn is pending and I am not allowed one. If have been to the IRS to apply for an itin number but also can't obtain one of these until I am classed as a resident legal alien (after 163 days) or when my wife does her tax return.
Due to the lack of ssn or itin they are searching on name and dob only.

I have explained to them that we have just been through homeland security checks with USCIS to be granted the visas, and that they wouldn't have granted the visa without favourable background checks. I also pointed out that the visa checks were very involved included FBI name checks and FBI finger print checks. They don't seem to accept this and have now asked if we can obtain uk background checks ourselves, however due to uk data protection I can't ask for a crb check even on myself! You can only request a crb check if you are a registered organisation and the applicant is going to be working with children, the elderly or on government secured intel.

I even called my church back in the uk who I know are crb registered if they could run a check on me as a favour, but it turns out they can't unless I am actually doing youth work for them!

Any ideas getting desperate and due to be homeless in one week.

Ps I dont have any criminal record.

Thanks in advance j

avanutria Feb 16th 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Rental background checks

Try a different rental company. Some are stricter than others. I went through about six before I could find one that would accept myself (returning USC) and my husband (UKC) with no jobs to show as income.

Jabez Feb 16th 2012 4:57 pm

Might have to, sad thing is we have found the perfect condo through this rental agent.

Wibblypig Feb 16th 2012 4:58 pm

Hmmm sounds as if they just do not get it! They will be checking for debt related things rather than other criminal records.

Due to no history it's quite normal to have to pay several months deposit (3-6mths?!) to cover the missing history, maybe speak to them about this?! Otherwise you will be just going round in circles!

HTH

Vicki

SanDiegogirl Feb 16th 2012 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jabez (Post 9905563)
My wife and I have just moved from the uk to Florida. She is on a h1b and I am on a h4 visa.
We are in the process of applying for a condo rental, so we can move out of the temp accommodation. We managed to get the agent to check our uk credit history so no issues there. However apparently it is normal to do full background checks including criminal record checks on new tenants. Because we have only just arrived when they do the checks on line they pull a blank. My wifes Ssn is pending and I am not allowed one. If have been to the IRS to apply for an itin number but also can't obtain one of these until I am classed as a resident legal alien (after 163 days) or when my wife does her tax return.

I have explained to them that we have just been through homeland security checks with USCIS to be granted the visas, and that they wouldn't have granted the visa without favourable background checks. I also pointed out that the visa checks were very involved included FBI name checks and FBI finger print checks. They don't seem to accept this and have now asked if we can obtain uk background checks ourselves, however due to uk data protection I can't ask for a crb check even on myself! You can only request a crb check if you are a registered organisation and the applicant is going to be working with children, the elderly or on government secured intel.

I even called my church back in the uk who I know are crb registered if they could run a check on me as a favour, but it turns out they can't unless I am actually doing youth work for them!

Thanks in advance j

What about providing a letter from your wife's employer to verify yourselves?

Jabez Feb 16th 2012 5:06 pm

Yes I thought about getting something from my wifes employer, she had to pass a Florida board check as she handles dangerous drugs (she is a vet). I am awaiting a response from the company lawyer that helped us through the visa app.

Was just hoping someone knew of a way to get a uk criminal record check?
Only other thing I can think of is telling the agent to contact USCIS as they might hold our background checks done for the visa, and be able to release them as they are a US company under different data protection laws.

Seems crazy

GeoffM Feb 16th 2012 5:17 pm

If they're asking for criminal checks then you should be able to get a Police Certificate from the UK - http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx . A CRB check is more detailed than a police certificate but you shouldn't need a CRB check just to rent an apartment!

Jabez Feb 16th 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks I will look into this and pass it on to the agent.

tipex Feb 16th 2012 7:57 pm

we too have found a perfect condo, we are going through the management company for the condo and they want to see either the last 3 months pay slips or 3 x the monthly rental for 12 months. i.e $900 x 3 x 12= $32,400
i said are you joking, i@ll pay you 12 months up front, they said no.WTF?

Bob Feb 16th 2012 8:33 pm

Move on to another condo or agency....plenty of folks looking to rent in the state I'd imagine rather than flogging their homes for a loss, so you should be in a better standing.

Criminal checks aren't that common, unless you're either by a school or a right dump.

Also, if the rental agency aren't the owners of the condo, just contact the management company directly, probably far easier to deal with.

Phoodilicious Feb 17th 2012 1:34 am

http://disclosurescotland.co.uk/ this is where my husband and I did our CRB checks some years ago when we were applying for publican licenses. Don't be put off that it is called Disclosure Scotland, they cover England too and we were advised to use them by the college we were doing the licensing exam with as they are both speedy and reasonably priced.

londonights Feb 17th 2012 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jabez (Post 9905563)

Thanks in advance j

sounds over the top to be honest to get a CRB I'm sure u can get an online CRB maybe through an agency or something