British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Rent without a job (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/rent-without-job-737020/)

GeoffM Oct 27th 2011 8:32 am

Rent without a job

All the rental agreements I've seen for apartments need the renter to supply paystubs as proof of income. I believe some people here may have gotten their employer to act as a kind of security when they first arrive. However, I'll be arriving without a job initially and though I can live in a relative's place for a few weeks, at some point I'm going to need to get our own place. Has anybody here tried to rent a property without proof of income? I'm guessing that several months of rent payments will need to be made upfront :( , in addition to the extra payments due to lack of credit history! Anywhere else that typically asks for proof of income that I should be aware of - car loan, phone, cable/TV/broadband etc?

Southern California, if it makes a difference.

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 27th 2011 10:55 am

Re: Rent without a job

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 9698828)
All the rental agreements I've seen for apartments need the renter to supply paystubs as proof of income. I believe some people here may have gotten their employer to act as a kind of security when they first arrive. However, I'll be arriving without a job initially and though I can live in a relative's place for a few weeks, at some point I'm going to need to get our own place. Has anybody here tried to rent a property without proof of income? I'm guessing that several months of rent payments will need to be made upfront :( , in addition to the extra payments due to lack of credit history! Anywhere else that typically asks for proof of income that I should be aware of - car loan, phone, cable/TV/broadband etc?

I never did.

Paid a month up front.

Car Loan, well that would be a yes. Nothing else.

Michael Oct 27th 2011 11:24 am

If your relatives are willing and have good credit, have them cosign for the apartment. I've done that for my kids when they were in college and there wasn't any problem renting and no extra money required.

Generally the same is true about a car loan but that may be imposing on your relatives a little too much.

Awesome Welles Oct 27th 2011 2:25 pm

You lost me at 'gotten'.

tilz Oct 27th 2011 3:36 pm

Hi

I got away with giving a months rent on the apartment but it took a bit more hassle to do

Also be prepared to put down deposits on pretty ,much everything , this is particularly true when you don't yet have your SSN, you get asked for it for everything ! I mean even the likes of setting up electricity etc

I had to put down a $150 deposit with Comcast and $100+ with PG and E just to get accounts setup

We did get 'offered' a car loan at a local Chevy dealer after they credit checked us but it was at an APR of 13% instead of like 0 or 2 which they were advertising

In the end I took the advice of many on here and bought an old car outright for the first year to run around in, as this was cheaper for registration and also insurance was $100 per month (not bad by all accounts !)

You can get stuff setup just as I say be prepared to have to put deposits down more than normal , I am in CA too but North

avanutria Oct 27th 2011 4:35 pm

I contacted about seven or eight different apartment complexes in my rent budget before finding one willing to accept a credit check on me and a photocopy of my DH's residence visa instead of income, since neither of us had a job lined up when we came. It takes some hunting, but it is possible. We didn't pay anything extra up front beyond the normal deposits, and opted for a month-to-month lease since we didn't know how long it'd be before we bought a house.

Bob Oct 28th 2011 1:01 am

Anywhere else that typically asks for proof of income that I should be aware of - car loan, phone, cable/TV/broadband etc?

They won't ask for income, but they'll want to run a credit check and you'll be asked for a deposit because you wouldn't have any history.

As for rental, might have more luck finding a private rental rather than at a complex that's managed, but you never know without asking.

Though you're right, proof of funds, or salary that'll cover rent and expenses is pretty common.

If you've got a few months worth of rent in savings, you could offer to put that in escrow.

GeoffM Oct 28th 2011 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 9699103)
If your relatives are willing and have good credit, have them cosign for the apartment.

That's a good idea - thanks.

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 9699393)
You lost me at 'gotten'.

past participle of get (Verb)

Originally Posted by avanutria (Post 9699635)
I contacted about seven or eight different apartment complexes in my rent budget before finding one willing to accept a credit check on me and a photocopy of my DH's residence visa instead of income, since neither of us had a job lined up when we came. It takes some hunting, but it is possible. We didn't pay anything extra up front beyond the normal deposits, and opted for a month-to-month lease since we didn't know how long it'd be before we bought a house.

Useful to know in case we have the same experience!

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9700378)
If you've got a few months worth of rent in savings, you could offer to put that in escrow.

Good idea.

Thanks everybody else too.

jmood Oct 28th 2011 10:49 pm

Re. rental - Agree with a previous poster. You'll have to keep looking around. The bigger managed complexes tend to be more strict. Privately owned ones can be flexible. I live in one of the most aggressive housing markets of the US and had annoying experiences with several estate agents landlords and pleasant experiences with a private ones.
One time, a girlfriend of mine ended up paying a whole years rent in advance because this major building company (Rockrose) would not do it any other way.

Re utilities companies. Depends on the company. Don't offer anything upfront, they might just take you.

Re. PSEG and the poster who said he had to pay a deposit. Just for the heck of it, I told PSEG I didn't have a SS # when I was opening a new account a year ago and thy opened it anyway and didn't ask for a deposit.

p.s. I hate being "nailed" with the SS# everywhere. The good old UK where even carrying ID cards wasn't mandatory.

Awesome Welles Oct 29th 2011 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 9700771)

past participle of get (Verb)

Got. You'd say 'gotten' in Swindon, would you?

GeoffM Oct 29th 2011 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles (Post 9703117)
Got. You'd say 'gotten' in Swindon, would you?

If it's in dictionaries and not listed as slang then I think it's fair enough to use. Other words that do fit that category I don't use but don't criticise others for doing so. No idea whether it's a Swindon thing as I've only been here a few years.

Thanks jmood.

HDWill Oct 30th 2011 2:50 am

"Gotten" appears in Shakespeare; see Richard II, Act V, Scene 5.

Does "yonder" still exist in Britain? A while back a Virginia gas station clerk directed me to a product "over yonder."

GeoffM Oct 30th 2011 10:01 am

Originally Posted by HDWill (Post 9703851)
"Gotten" appears in Shakespeare; see Richard II, Act V, Scene 5.

Does "yonder" still exist in Britain? A while back a Virginia gas station clerk directed me to a product "over yonder."

Excellent! "Yonder" isn't exactly common but I would imagine most people know it.

GeoffM Nov 1st 2011 8:55 am

Originally Posted by britflorida (Post 9707515)
Check for new managed apartment complex where they need renters to fill a lot of apartments quickly. They will be more willing to take a chance, as they have not much to loose.

That's what I did when I moved here. Just remember to have a local bank account in place so that you can pay the deposit with a local check as most do not take cash or credit card.

Thanks - though I don't know how to find a new one!