British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Renouncing British Citizenship.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/renouncing-british-citizenship-108425/)

Chappo2000 May 20th 2002 3:38 am

Renouncing British Citizenship....

Hello Everybody...

I'm a first time poster to this board... but I hope you can help me out... Currently I am in the process of Naturalization for United States Citizenship... and am actively looking into renouncing my British Citizenship... which I've had since birth... I have downloaded the necessary forms from the British Government website... and wondered if anyone had gone through the process here in the United States... It doesn't mention if I need to send the ORIGINAL proof of aquisition of US citizenship... how much it is for having it done in the United States by the British Embassy... or even how long the process will take... Any experiance with the process or any other relevant information on the matter would be greatly appreciated... This is something I have wanted to do for a long time... and I would like to do everything by the book... Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Chappo2000

Riri May 20th 2002 6:20 am

Re: Renouncing British Citizenship....

Why do you want to do it? Because of the Queen? R "Chappo2000"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Everybody...
    >
    > I'm a first time poster to this board... but I hope you can help me out...
    > Currently I am in the process of Naturalization for United States Citizenship...
    > and am actively looking into renouncing my British Citizenship... which I've had
    > since birth... I have downloaded the necessary forms from the British Government
    > website... and wondered if anyone had gone through the process here in the United
    > States... It doesn't mention if I need to send the ORIGINAL proof of aquisition of
    > US citizenship... how much it is for having it done in the United States by the
    > British Embassy... or even how long the process will take... Any experiance with
    > the process or any other relevant information on the matter would be greatly
    > appreciated... This is something I have wanted to do for a long time... and I would
    > like to do everything by the book... Thanks, in advance, for your help.
    >
    > Chappo2000
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Melinda Mackenz May 20th 2002 6:20 am

You do know you can have dual citizenship right? You don't have to renounce your
British citizenship to get an American one.

"Chappo2000" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Everybody...
    >
    > Currently I am in the process of Naturalization for United States Citizenship...
    > and am actively looking into renouncing my British Citizenship... which I've had
    > since birth... I have downloaded the necessary forms from the British Government
    > website... and wondered if anyone had gone through the process here in the United
    > States... It doesn't mention if I need to send the ORIGINAL proof of aquisition of
    > US citizenship... how much it is for having it done in the United States by the
    > British Embassy... or even how long the process will take... Any experiance with
    > appreciated... This is something I have wanted to do for a long time... and I would
    >
    > Chappo2000
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Chappo2000 May 20th 2002 2:03 pm

Hello Again,

I appreciate the concern over my decision to renounce... it is a decision that I have thought long and hard about. While, yes, I CAN remain a Dual Citizen after I aquire US Citizenship... it really is in my best interest NOT to. Currently I am studying to work for the US Government.. in a job that a security clearance is required... The fact is, persons of Dual Nationality don't get security clearances for the US government.. and MOST importantly... although my passport says I'm British... really, I've lived in the United States or in control of the United States (Stationed overseas with the USAF) ever since I started schooling.. With that, and the true belief in the Oath I take at Naturalization, once I am granted US citizenship (Or even now, before it is granted and for a long time before) my loyalties no longer lie with Britain, but with the United States. I appreciate any further comment on both the process of renunciation or my decision to renounce...

Thanks Again

Chappo2000

-Lostinspace- May 20th 2002 5:20 pm

i emphasis with your decision and am completely envious !

Once my (American) family and I get my green card we will never set foot on British
soil again.

> Hello Again,
    >
    > I appreciate the concern over my decision to renounce... it is a decision that I
    > have thought long and hard about. While, yes, I CAN remain a Dual Citizen after I
    > aquire US Citizenship... it really is in my best interest NOT to. Currently I am
    > studying to work for the US Government.. in a job that a security clearance is
    > required... The fact is, persons of Dual Nationality don't get security clearances
    > for the US government.. and MOST importantly... although my passport says I'm
    > British... really, I've lived in the United States or in control of the United
    > States (Stationed overseas with the USAF) ever since I started schooling.. With
    > that, and the true belief in the Oath I take at Naturalization, once I am granted
    > US citizenship (Or even now, before it is granted and for a long time before) my
    > loyalties no longer lie with Britain, but with the United States. I appreciate any
    > further comment on both the process of renunciation or my decision to renounce...
    >
    > Thanks Again
    >
    > Chappo2000
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Fdigu123 May 20th 2002 7:20 pm

what gives u the impression that the job is guarantteed to u if u renounce u british
citizenship... moreso u never know what would become of america and international
policies...so keep both and have urself different options..

> Hello Everybody...
    >
    >
    > Chappo2000
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Stuart Brook May 20th 2002 8:20 pm

fdigu123 wrote:
    >
    > what gives u the impression that the job is guarantteed to u if u renounce u
    > british citizenship... moreso u never know what would become of america and
    > international policies...so keep both and have urself different options..

Moreover, the fact that you have spent time living in the UK makes it incredibly
expensive and time consuming to security clear you. That is the driving factor in
turning people down for security clearance reasons, not because of their actual
citizenship.

Me May 20th 2002 9:20 pm

And if God forbid u loose the job? was it worth giving up UK ctizenship for?

Stephen C. Gall May 20th 2002 9:20 pm

"me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > And if God forbid u loose the job? was it worth giving up UK ctizenship for?

I'm under the impression that British nationality law will allow a person who
renounces his citizenship, a one time option to reclaim that citizenship at a later
date. I couldn't quote the exact part of law that offers this.

Stephen Gallagher

Jaj May 20th 2002 10:20 pm

Considering Britain is one of America's closest allies, I can't see any conflict of
loyalty arising in practical terms.

Renouncing British citizenship closes off a number of options for you, and is
something you may regret at some time in the future.

You can hand back your British passport to the UK Embassy and only use an American
passport - that is not the same as formally renouncing your citizenship and you could
always get another one again if you wanted.

I would do my utmost after you become a US citizen to avoid signing away your British
citizenship.

Jeremy

>On 20 May 2002 15:20:15 GMT, Chappo2000 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hello Again,
    >
    >I appreciate the concern over my decision to renounce... it is a decision that I
    >have thought long and hard about. While, yes, I CAN remain a Dual Citizen after I
    >aquire US Citizenship... it really is in my best interest NOT to. Currently I am
    >studying to work for the US Government.. in a job that a security clearance is
    >required... The fact is, persons of Dual Nationality don't get security clearances
    >for the US government.. and MOST importantly... although my passport says I'm
    >British... really, I've lived in the United States or in control of the United
    >States (Stationed overseas with the USAF) ever since I started schooling.. With
    >that, and the true belief in the Oath I take at Naturalization, once I am granted US
    >citizenship (Or even now, before it is granted and for a long time before) my
    >loyalties no longer lie with Britain, but with the United States. I appreciate any
    >further comment on both the process of renunciation or my decision to renounce...
    >
    >Thanks Again
    >
    >Chappo2000
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Jaj May 20th 2002 10:20 pm

Section 13 (1) of the British Nationality Act 1981

However, this only applies if British citizenship was renounced as a necessary
condition to obtain or retain the nationality of another state. As Stephen says, this
option can only be exercised once, 13(2)

There is a separate resumption option, section 13(3) that is not conditional on this
factors above, but it is discretionary rather than an entitlement.

Jeremy

>On Mon, 20 May 2002 19:54:22 GMT, "Stephen C. Gallagher"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >"me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> And if God forbid u loose the job? was it worth giving up UK ctizenship for?
    >
    >I'm under the impression that British nationality law will allow a person who
    >renounces his citizenship, a one time option to reclaim that citizenship at a later
    >date. I couldn't quote the exact part of law that offers this.
    >
    >Stephen Gallagher

James Donovan May 21st 2002 4:20 am

"RiRi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<G20G8.43290$L76.47495@rwcrnsc53>...
    > Why do you want to do it? Because of the Queen? R

That wasn't the question he asked.

James Donovan May 21st 2002 4:20 am

[email protected] (JAJ) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Considering Britain is one of America's closest allies, I can't see any conflict of
    > loyalty arising in practical terms.

I had a problem getting a security clearance, since I am dual citizen Brit/Am.
Basically if you have ANY allegiance to ANY foreign power, you will most likely be
denied some levels of security clearance.

They are very strict guidelines, and they check everything, including your credit and
employment history. Reason being that someone who is financially unstable is likely
to accept a payoff from a foreign Government.

Furthermore, regardless of if the UK is one of our closest ally, we can still go to
war with them in the blink of an eye. Such is the reality of life.

> Renouncing British citizenship closes off a number of options for you, and is
    > something you may regret at some time in the future. You can hand back your British
    > passport to the UK Embassy and only use an American passport - that is not the same
    > as formally renouncing your citizenship and you could always get another one again
    > if you wanted.

But he would still be a British citizen. Giving back your passport does nothing.

Rich Wales May 21st 2002 7:20 am

James Donovan wrote:

> I had a problem getting a security clearance, since I am dual citizen Brit/Am.
> Basically if you have ANY allegiance to ANY foreign power, you will most likely
> be denied some levels of security clearance.

And I would guess that even if the original poster were to formally renounce his
British citizenship, he might still have difficulty getting a security clearance on
account of his (presumably) having close relatives and friends in the UK.

Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.richw.org/dualcit/ *DISCLAIMER: I am not a
lawyer, professional immigration consultant, or consular officer. My comments are for
discussion purposes only and are not intended to be relied upon as legal or
professional advice.

Jaj May 21st 2002 1:20 pm

Rich I think you're quite right. And it would be pretty silly to renounce British
citizenship only to be denied a security clearance anyway.

Jeremy

>On 21 May 2002 05:05:52 -0000, [email protected] (Rich Wales) wrote: James
    >Donovan wrote:
    >
    > > I had a problem getting a security clearance, since I am dual citizen Brit/Am.
    > > Basically if you have ANY allegiance to ANY foreign power, you will most
    > > likely be denied some levels of security clearance.
    >
    >And I would guess that even if the original poster were to formally renounce his
    >British citizenship, he might still have difficulty getting a security clearance on
    >account of his (presumably) having close relatives and friends in the UK.
    >
    >Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.richw.org/dualcit/ *DISCLAIMER: I am not a
    >lawyer, professional immigration consultant, or consular officer. My comments are
    >for discussion purposes only and are not intended to be relied upon as legal or
    >professional advice.