Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing your drivers license

Renewing your drivers license

Old Feb 6th 2011, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing your drivers license

I've learned that it's SO worth it to go to the DMV (assuming you must) immediately when they open on a weekday vs. weekend. Get in there before a backlog has a chance to form.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I've learned that it's SO worth it to go to the DMV (assuming you must) immediately when they open on a weekday vs. weekend. Get in there before a backlog has a chance to form.
and don't wait until the end of the month.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Exceptionally painful for me here in PA, because I'm on a work visa and they limit the expiration to when your visa expires, so I have to keep renewing it. Every time I go, you wait around forever and get some dolt who has no idea what a visa is or what they should do with it. I end up taking a copy of their own policy from their website to show them. They make up rules on the spot and everyone gives you different rules as to what date it should expire.

Just a joy I look forward to every 2 years....
SC was like that when I first moved here from NC in 2004. They were disorganized and really didn't have a clue what to do with non-USC's, especially if in some sort of pending status (I was waiting for the I-751 approval). They seem to have improved though. My filippino wife had very little trouble getting her first US DL while pending AoS last year. About the only downside is you have to go in person to certain offices only.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Also a good tip. Makes an incredibly unpleasant experience nearly bearable.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Or the day that they have extended hours, which in MA is on Thursday...the last Thursday of the month is all kinds of hell
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:52 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

It's now over 8 weeks since I went into the DMV to renew my license, still nothing. I've sent them an email chasing it up, they won't answer your emails until it has been 8 weeks. Haven't had a reply yet.

I'm guessing something went wrong, and I'll have to make another appointment (4 week wait), and then have to wait another 6 weeks minimum for my license to arrive.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:11 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by N1cky
It's now over 8 weeks since I went into the DMV to renew my license, still nothing. I've sent them an email chasing it up, they won't answer your emails until it has been 8 weeks. Haven't had a reply yet.

I'm guessing something went wrong, and I'll have to make another appointment (4 week wait), and then have to wait another 6 weeks minimum for my license to arrive.
4 months ago in really rural GA, went to the nearest State Police Office, stood in line for ten minutes, handed over current license, she said "Read dem numbers in there" pointing at a device with numbers showing in it, and as I was saying the numbers she said; "You're a Baaaad Boy" "You ain't not registered to vote!" "I'm a fixin' it right now!" "Stand over there" Flash, picture taken. 5 minutes and $25 (I think) later I had a new license.
Lasts 3 years.
Within 10 days I was getting crap from State senators and Congressmen.
Took me six weeks to get off the voters register. While waiting for them to do me another license I noticed that the eye test numbers were the same as when I did the test.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 5:43 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Spoke to the DMV today who said they are waiting for notification of my legal presense, spoke to the legal presense dept who say they are waiting for the copies the office made in February to be mailed to them.

I can fax them a copy, I don't have a fax but I can scan and email you a copy, no we don't have email addresses. ARRRRGGGGHHH:curse: