British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Renewing your drivers license (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/renewing-your-drivers-license-703391/)

Bob Feb 2nd 2011 12:32 am

Renewing your drivers license

So how easy, painful or expensive is it down your way?

I'm impressed the MA RMV website actually worked, I was able to fill it in online and could have paid now to get a new license sent my way, though I'll finish it later as we're a bit skint right now and I've got till the end of the month almost till I need to renew it.

It's $50 for a renewal, good for 5 years.

I don't remember Maine being so pricey for a license and I thought mine up there was good for 7 or 8 years? Has that changed?

I'm glad I don't have to go into an actual office, because there are hardly any left open these days and would have to go miles, well 40 mins away I think for the nearest one....plus they are truly a horrid experience :D

AmerLisa Feb 2nd 2011 2:23 am

Re: Renewing your drivers license

My husband just had to renew his, its $25 for 5 years here. Pretty easy through the mail. In fact the easiest I've ever encountered to renew a license.

Bluegrass Lass Feb 2nd 2011 3:21 am

OH just renewed his. He had to go to the DMV in person. It was $20 for 4years.

TimFountain Feb 2nd 2011 3:33 am

TX was a PIA as I had to go in person, even though I updated the website ages ago when I got the GC and again when I got my citizenship. No reason was given when I tried to renew online, I was just directed to go to the nearest DMV. I did get the DL renewed but in the end moved to Oregon, where I had to take the written again!

- Tim

N1cky Feb 2nd 2011 3:36 am

After applying by mail in November for mine and hubby's we have an appointment at the DMV tomorrow to try and sort it out. I have tried to call 3 times, going through the automated system, to get to the point where it says 'you need to speak to an operator' then goes on to say 'no operators are available try again later'.

So not very good so far.

Scouse Express Feb 2nd 2011 2:48 pm

I renewed mine, a couple of weeks ago in Iowa, for $40 with all my CDL Endorsements.

It's good for 5 years.

Jim.

Jerseygirl Feb 2nd 2011 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9145509)
So how easy, painful or expensive is it down your way?

I'm impressed the MA RMV website actually worked, I was able to fill it in online and could have paid now to get a new license sent my way, though I'll finish it later as we're a bit skint right now and I've got till the end of the month almost till I need to renew it.

It's $50 for a renewal, good for 5 years.

I don't remember Maine being so pricey for a license and I thought mine up there was good for 7 or 8 years? Has that changed?

I'm glad I don't have to go into an actual office, because there are hardly any left open these days and would have to go miles, well 40 mins away I think for the nearest one....plus they are truly a horrid experience :D

You have to apply in person in NJ and have to produce the 6 point ID verification. A licence is good for 5 years...no idea how much it is now...it used to be $30/40...I think. :unsure:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/index.htm

Dan725 Feb 2nd 2011 3:10 pm

Just renewed mine - very easy, done online. Good for 7 years; $48 I think.

nethead Feb 2nd 2011 5:25 pm

I recently renewed mine in PA, think it was $25 or $27 (good for 4 years) renewed it online, but have to go to PENNNDOT within 3 months to get photo card redone. Did that a couple of weeks ago, I was in and out in less than 10mins.

Redwing Feb 2nd 2011 6:10 pm

$25 in TN. Good for 5 years. Do it online or go to the county clerk's office.

Bob Feb 2nd 2011 7:07 pm

So it seems like us folks in MA are getting screwed :lol:

Jerseygirl Feb 2nd 2011 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9147556)
So it seems like us folks in MA are getting screwed :lol:

At least you don't have to wait at your local DMV office.

Bob Feb 2nd 2011 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9147941)
At least you don't have to wait at your local DMV office.

That's true...because we don't have one :lol:

They've closed them all down, except a few of the key larger offices...so I'd really hate to have to go to a real office. The last time I went, to the local, medium sized office, I had a 45 min wait, outside, to get a number so I could wait indoors, and that was another hours wait...to get my drivers license, I had to repeat that to register the car, at the next desk, because you couldn't do more than one transaction at the same time.

Brit3964 Feb 3rd 2011 10:41 pm

I renewed mine back in December. $12.50 for a 10yr license. Non-USC's for 5yrs only. Pending status for 1yr only. You can apply online but you have to have an eye test done so it's cheaper (and quicker) just to go in person. They do the sight test there and then, take the pic and out comes the plastic card in about 5 mins or less.

augigi Feb 6th 2011 3:10 am

Exceptionally painful for me here in PA, because I'm on a work visa and they limit the expiration to when your visa expires, so I have to keep renewing it. Every time I go, you wait around forever and get some dolt who has no idea what a visa is or what they should do with it. I end up taking a copy of their own policy from their website to show them. They make up rules on the spot and everyone gives you different rules as to what date it should expire.

Just a joy I look forward to every 2 years.... :thumbdown: