Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing UK Passport in USA - Couple Questions

Renewing UK Passport in USA - Couple Questions

Old Aug 21st 2019, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing UK Passport in USA - Couple Questions

With online applications with digital photos, the countersigner doesn't actually sign the back of a physical photo - because, by definition, there are no physical photos. They either go online to confirm your identity (if a British passport holder) or they sign a form that has your uploaded photo printed on it. If the latter option, you send this form in with the rest of your documents. Even though I'm in the US, I got an Irish lawyer who lives in the UK to sign my form because the instructions said it would be faster if using someone with a British or Irish passport. I emailed the form in PDF format and the lawyer printed it, signed it and snail-mailed it back to me. The Passport Office in Durham then asked me for a scan of the details page of the lawyer's Irish passport even though the instructions state that this isn't necessary for someone with a British or Irish passport. I was told that the Passport Office can't look up Irish passport numbers in their system. So the lawyer sent me a photo of the details page of the Irish passport which I then emailed to the Passport Office in Durham. My British passport was printed and mailed the next day.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Aug 21st 2019 at 7:16 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

bhunt is an unknown quantity at this point

I don’t disagree with that, but they do have my old UK passport, the pages from my US passport, 2 new pictures and my birth certificate, a blind man could see that it’s me, So here is the latest hiccup, the countersignatory must provide their passport number or the detailed page out of their passport, I have approached several people with the Accepted occupations for countersignatories and none of them are willing to provide their passport information because they are afraid of identity theft , can you blame them, so here I am struck between a rock and a hard place, UK government do NOT give refunds, Any comments or advise would be appreciated, Thanks.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bhunt
I don’t disagree with that, but they do have my old UK passport, the pages from my US passport, 2 new pictures and my birth certificate, a blind man could see that it’s me, So here is the latest hiccup, the countersignatory must provide their passport number or the detailed page out of their passport, I have approached several people with the Accepted occupations for countersignatories and none of them are willing to provide their passport information because they are afraid of identity theft , can you blame them, so here I am struck between a rock and a hard place, UK government do NOT give refunds, Any comments or advise would be appreciated, Thanks.
The moral of the story is you have to get a countersigner on board before submitting your application, including explaining to them exactly what the process entails them doing.

Certainly agree that the UK isn’t making it easy for people to renew. But that’s presumably the idea.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

cockfosters is an unknown quantity at this point

My passport application was approved today (August 27th), on the 7th day in the 'processing queue'.

Out of curiosity - are the two packages they send back (one for old passport, one for new passport) sent via DHL? And do you need to sign for them? Is there an accurate tracking # provided for both packages so you know when they'll arrive?
Old Aug 27th 2019, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

For those of us in the US/Canada, I assume DHL delivers? The stock email says:

"We've sent your new passport by secure delivery. In most cases it will be delivered by DX delivery services. You can find out more at:https://www.dxdelivery.com/static/HMPO"

My understanding is that I'll receive a text message with tracking once they have it?

Last edited by cockfosters; Aug 27th 2019 at 6:50 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 8:22 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cockfosters
For those of us in the US/Canada, I assume DHL delivers? The stock email says:

"We've sent your new passport by secure delivery. In most cases it will be delivered by DX delivery services. You can find out more at:https://www.dxdelivery.com/static/HMPO"

My understanding is that I'll receive a text message with tracking once they have it?
Yes, I got a txt from DHL the day before it was delivered around 8am EST with an estimate of the next day. And then around 11:30am EST the next/day of delivery to say it would arrive by the end of the day... my guess is the first txt triggered when it was loaded on the plane and then the second when loaded on to the final delivery vehicle. My old one came in a separate shipment a day after the new one.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tht

Yes, I got a txt from DHL the day before it was delivered around 8am EST with an estimate of the next day. And then around 11:30am EST the next/day of delivery to say it would arrive by the end of the day... my guess is the first txt triggered when it was loaded on the plane and then the second when loaded on to the final delivery vehicle. My old one came in a separate shipment a day after the new one.
Thanks!
Old Aug 28th 2019, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

My passport application was approved today (August 27th), on the 7th day in the 'processing queue'.

Out of curiosity - are the two packages they send back (one for old passport, one for new passport) sent via DHL?
Yes - my 2 packages arrived together.

And do you need to sign for them?
Yes - but anyone in your household can sign. If no-one is home, they try 2 more times after which you have to collect from a local facility.

Is there an accurate tracking # provided for both packages so you know when they'll arrive?
Yes - you'll get a text or email from DHL with tracking info.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Flaura is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of curiosity - are the two packages they send back (one for old passport, one for new passport) sent via DHL? And do you need to sign for them? Is there an accurate tracking # provided for both packages so you know when they'll arrive?

just wondering what time you entered the processing queue on 20th August? We’re now on day 8 (entered processing queue at 2:18pm 20/08/19) and getting worried there’s an issue with either the husbands or daughters passport!! Thanks.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

efsedran.b is a jewel in the roughefsedran.b is a jewel in the roughefsedran.b is a jewel in the roughefsedran.b is a jewel in the rough

1) How would you suggest shipping the materials to London. FedEx, UPS, USPS? Any experiences good/bad with any of those options?
I used UPS for an international shipment and it was ok, no issues.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

My passport was scheduled for delivery this past Friday, but I was out of town - so I had DHL delivery it today. I just received it. It's the maroon/burgundy passport (not blue).
All-in-all, about 10 days from sending out my materials via UPS 2 day delivery, to receiving the passport (basing it on the first delivery attempt).

Thanks for all the info - hopefully this thread is helpful for someone going forward!
Old Nov 18th 2019, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Received a response:
I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm pretty pissed off with the accuracy of the information about the digital signing process. My daughter - who lives in the US - found a friend who now lives in the UK as a countersignatory, so she went that route. This person agreed to sign based on this info linked to in your reply:

After you’ve filled in the form, your countersignatory must check the details are correct and sign it.

By signing it they are confirming that:
  • they’ve known you for more than 2 years
  • you’re who you claim to be
  • as far as they know, all the information you’ve put on the form is true
Your countersignatory must put their passport number on the form.

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

But... the countersignatory is also asked to provide employment status, and name (and address?) of employer. This person declines to provide that info. So she's stuck and (i) apparently can't change to use paper countersingning; and (ii) can't get a refund. I have no idea how she should proceed. To me they are asking for information on electronic countersigning that is not documented in the instructions, which is simply wrong.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 18th 2019 at 10:15 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 11:36 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you forget to send a copy of your US passport then you’ll still receive your new British passport without issue.
Hope I dont take this thread off-topic, but my UK passport is due for renewal next year (my passport photo is 10 years old, and I applied for it online back in the day IIRC - so its biometric.etc), when I did a 'test' run of the UK passport renewal last month, it didn't ask anything about my US citizenship/passport (I did say I had another citizenship), it just said to pay the fee, upload a recent head-shot and mail in my old passport - so wasn't planning on saying/sending anything related to being a USC!

Is there an actual reason why the UK government needs to see/get a copy of my US passport? It feels like overstepping considering it doesnt really help confirm my UKC identity, and I have plenty of UK based supporting evidence (NI number, drivers license, birth certificate, previous employer pay stubs/inland revenue docs.etc.etc.etc).
Old Nov 18th 2019, 11:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
Hope I dont take this thread off-topic, but my UK passport is due for renewal next year (my passport photo is 10 years old, and I applied for it online back in the day IIRC - so its biometric.etc), when I did a 'test' run of the UK passport renewal last month, it didn't ask anything about my US citizenship/passport (I did say I had another citizenship), it just said to pay the fee, upload a recent head-shot and mail in my old passport - so wasn't planning on saying/sending anything related to being a USC!

Is there an actual reason why the UK government needs to see/get a copy of my US passport? It feels like overstepping considering it doesnt really help confirm my UKC identity, and I have plenty of UK based supporting evidence (NI number, drivers license, birth certificate, previous employer pay stubs/inland revenue docs.etc.etc.etc).
It’s to make sure you are not being issued a British passport in a different name to the one that appears in any foreign passport you might hold. And I suspect, if I was to be a cynic, to make it easier to strip you of your British citizenship if you decide to sign up for ISIS.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 11:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm pretty pissed off with the accuracy of the information about the digital signing process. My daughter - who lives in the US - found a friend who now lives in the UK as a countersignatory, so she went that route. This person agreed to sign based on this info linked to in your reply:

After you’ve filled in the form, your countersignatory must check the details are correct and sign it.

By signing it they are confirming that:
  • they’ve known you for more than 2 years
  • you’re who you claim to be
  • as far as they know, all the information you’ve put on the form is true
Your countersignatory must put their passport number on the form.

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

But... the countersignatory is also asked to provide employment status, and name (and address?) of employer. This person declines to provide that info. So she's stuck and (i) apparently can't change to use paper countersingning; and (ii) can't get a refund. I have no idea how she should proceed. To me they are asking for information on electronic countersigning that is not documented in the instructions, which is simply wrong.
The guidance makes it clear that the countersignatory needs to work or be retired from an acceptable occupation. Asking for that occupation and the name of their employer so it can be verified isn’t much of a stretch in terms of logic. Not sure why your daughter’s countersignatory is happy to sign the form and provide their personal details including their passport number but not the name of their employer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.