Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing UK Passport in USA - Couple Questions

Renewing UK Passport in USA - Couple Questions

Old Nov 18th 2019, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing UK Passport in USA - Couple Questions

Having read the issues with regard renewing an old expired passport am so glad I renewed mine before expiration. From completing online form to getting new passport took 14 days.

Am going to get hubby's done before it, too expires.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
Hope I dont take this thread off-topic, but my UK passport is due for renewal next year (my passport photo is 10 years old, and I applied for it online back in the day IIRC - so its biometric.etc), when I did a 'test' run of the UK passport renewal last month, it didn't ask anything about my US citizenship/passport (I did say I had another citizenship), it just said to pay the fee, upload a recent head-shot and mail in my old passport - so wasn't planning on saying/sending anything related to being a USC!

Is there an actual reason why the UK government needs to see/get a copy of my US passport? It feels like overstepping considering it doesnt really help confirm my UKC identity, and I have plenty of UK based supporting evidence (NI number, drivers license, birth certificate, previous employer pay stubs/inland revenue docs.etc.etc.etc).
I've just renewed my UK passport and the process definitely asks for one to provide a full copy of any OTHER current/non cancelled passport. My supporting documents sent to UK consisted of full copy of my US passport together with my current UK passport. All docs were sent back under separate mailing from new passport.

Don't know why they ask for full copy of other passport, but they do, so I did. New passport received in 14 days from application.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm pretty pissed off with the accuracy of the information about the digital signing process. My daughter - who lives in the US - found a friend who now lives in the UK as a countersignatory, so she went that route. This person agreed to sign based on this info linked to in your reply:

After you’ve filled in the form, your countersignatory must check the details are correct and sign it.

By signing it they are confirming that:
  • they’ve known you for more than 2 years
  • you’re who you claim to be
  • as far as they know, all the information you’ve put on the form is true
Your countersignatory must put their passport number on the form.

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

But... the countersignatory is also asked to provide employment status, and name (and address?) of employer. This person declines to provide that info. So she's stuck and (i) apparently can't change to use paper countersingning; and (ii) can't get a refund. I have no idea how she should proceed. To me they are asking for information on electronic countersigning that is not documented in the instructions, which is simply wrong.
Hasn't this always been asked? I know that I had to provide that when I countersigned a friend's paper application earlier this year.

It's kinda bizarrely classist that only certain professions that can be trusted to confirm someone's identity though.
​​​​
Old Nov 19th 2019, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeMatt
Hasn't this always been asked? I know that I had to provide that when I countersigned a friend's paper application earlier this year.

It's kinda bizarrely classist that only certain professions that can be trusted to confirm someone's identity though.
​​​​
When I last renewed my UK passport from the USA I was working for a US chemical company but I knew a senior engineer in the company who worked in England and while on a business trip to us in the USA I got him to countersign my application and photo. I think that as long as the occupation is a professional one and can be verified then it shouldn’t be a problem. The list of acceptable occupations provided is pretty extensive I think, although Doctors aren’t allowed unless they are a good friend.

A few years ago my daughter got one of her senior managers at a big IT company in California to countersign hers, and he is a dual US/Australian citizen.

If you’re applying outside the UK

Your countersignatory must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport.

If they have a US, Commonwealth, or non-British or non-Irish EU passport, you must include with your application a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it.

Last edited by durham_lad; Nov 19th 2019 at 8:47 am.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 10:22 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​
It needs to be someone who has something to lose professionally or publicly by lying on a passport application.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The guidance makes it clear that the countersignatory needs to work or be retired from an acceptable occupation. Asking for that occupation and the name of their employer so it can be verified isn’t much of a stretch in terms of logic. Not sure why your daughter’s countersignatory is happy to sign the form and provide their personal details including their passport number but not the name of their employer.
They agreed to sign based on the information that the passport application stated that the applicant should convey to a potential signer, namely it would require a digital signature and the person's passport number. No mention of name of employer and employer's address. I do not know why the countersigner balked at this, but I have read that some people are declining to be a countersigner due to identity theft concerns.

Anyway, that's not my gripe. My point is that the instructions should detail completely the information a countersigner needs to provide, so as to avoid messes like this. I've given feedback on this on the web page.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​
No, if you go the paper route, you're required to specify the following:

"The following are mandatory fields: • Countersignatory Name • Signature • Number of years C/sig has known the applicant • Profession or Professional Qualification • Full postal address which can be business or home • Passport Number • Capacity Known"

https://www.ukpassportoffices.co.uk/...ignatories.pdf

So no requirement to state business name or address. They do require address but, as stated, it can be your personal address. Odd there is a mismatch between paper and electronic countersigning.

Totally anachronistic to require the signer to be of a certain profession. Just make it an offence for the signer to provide false information.