Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing UK Passport in USA - Couple Questions

Renewing UK Passport in USA - Couple Questions

Old Aug 14th 2019, 12:20 am
Just Joined

bhunt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renewing UK Passport in USA - Couple Questions

Issued in Washington DC. in 2003 I think..
Old Aug 14th 2019, 12:29 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bhunt
Issued in Washington DC. in 2003 I think..
Getting your photos countersigned after 16 years isn’t a particularly unreasonable request.

Last edited by BritInParis; Aug 14th 2019 at 12:55 am.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 12:34 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury

I can vouch for that as I forgot to send mine

that happened to me too earlier this year
Old Aug 14th 2019, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bhunt
I applied online then sent the docs on July 29th USPS, no problems until Aug 11th when received this email from them. "We require a new paper form because we need somebody to confirm your identity. Your previous passport was issued prior to the implementation of our current database and so we are unable to digitally compare the new picture to that on your previous passport. Since your application is a renewal, you only need to complete sections 1, 2, 9 and 10 ,You may leave section 3 blank as we will complete it for you upon receipt of the application form. Please ensure you also send two paper photographs, with the back of one of them certified by the person who completes section 10." Read this on the passport web site. Accepted occupations for countersignatories, what lot of big hoops to jump through, they have every page from my US passport and my old passport and 2 new photos, a blind man can see that all the photos are of the same person, I was going to cancel the application but they don't give refunds, what a rip,
Our son needed to do this in 2016 so he got an old family friend to do this while visiting us in England. (The friend is a retired schoolteacher). However, he did know that he had to do this beforehand because it was clear during the application process that passports expired more than 10 years needed a re-authorized photograph.
Old Aug 17th 2019, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

cockfosters is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone - just an update :-)

I mailed off my materials on Tuesday, August 13th, and they arrived on Thursday, August 15th. The passport is processing as of Friday, August 16th. I'll keep you posted on the timeframe for finalizing it.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Our son needed to do this in 2016 so he got an old family friend to do this while visiting us in England. (The friend is a retired schoolteacher). However, he did know that he had to do this beforehand because it was clear during the application process that passports expired more than 10 years needed a re-authorized photograph.
Looks like the rules have changed again. My daughter's passport expired six years ago and they are requiring a fresh photo countersignature. But you can now do it electronically and they send a (link, I think) digital photo to the countersigner. And it seems that person must reside in the UK. Quite what they do if a British citizen is born abroad and knows no one in the UK is unclear.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 2:57 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Looks like the rules have changed again. My daughter's passport expired six years ago and they are requiring a fresh photo countersignature. But you can now do it electronically and they send a (link, I think) digital photo to the countersigner. And it seems that person must reside in the UK. Quite what they do if a British citizen is born abroad and knows no one in the UK is unclear.
Are you applying using the correct link?

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Aug 18th 2019, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Are you applying using the correct link?

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Yes. The process notes that it's "BETA This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it."
Old Aug 18th 2019, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. The process notes that it's "BETA This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it."
Thanks for the link.

Nothing to do with the thread but through that site I have now signed up for updates on travel to Europe after Brexit as we are planning a trip to Paris the first week in November.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 11:45 am

The electronic countersigning option is available if the countersignatory lives in the UK - those resident overseas still need to sign the back of a physical photograph.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The electronic countersigning option is available if the countersignatory lives in the UK - those resident overseas still need to sign the back of a physical photograph.
Have you followed that link through and done an application online? The only option provided is digital image upload and electronic countersigning with a UK-based signer. Not an issue for my daughter, but nevertheless unhelpful for some. It's possible that this only applies to those whose passport expired more than 5 (?) years ago. Here's the page you end up at:

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/...rming-identity

Last edited by Giantaxe; Aug 19th 2019 at 3:45 am.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 12:22 pm

Have you followed that link through and done an application online? The only option provided is digital image upload and electronic countersigning with a UK-based signer. Not an issue for my daughter, but nevertheless unhelpful for some. It's possible that this only applies to those whose passport expired more than 5 (?) years ago. Here's the page you end up at:

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/...rming-identity
Thanks for the heads up. This appears to be a recent change and the website is directing you down the standard identity confirmation form which assumes you’re applying from the UK and therefore the countersignatory needs to be a British citizen resident in the UK. Two phone calls to HMPO later and I’ve managed to lodge an official complaint. I’m supposed to receive a response within five working data so I’ll come back when I have that.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 11:14 am

Received a response:

Dear Mr BritInParis,

Thank you for your complaint.

I understand you are applying for a British passport from overseas and you are unhappy with the information on our government website regarding who can countersign an application. I understand you also feel there should be two forms to be filled in for UK and overseas applications.

I can confirm there are two different applications forms for British Citizen’s resident in the UK and overseas. When completing your application online you will be guided to the correct form to fill in based on the answers and information you provide.

On our government website under the tab countersigning passport applications there is a section that advises who can sign your application if you do not live in the UK. Overseas countersigners must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport and they must include a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it with your application/documents.
Please find the information I have listed above in the link I have provided below;

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

Kind Regards,
HMPO
Old Aug 21st 2019, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Received a response:
Nice work, thanks for going that extra mile, again!
Old Aug 21st 2019, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

cockfosters is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing like beta testing software for free... :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.