British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Renewing a UK passport with US visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/renewing-uk-passport-us-visa-481342/)

NeilWVE Sep 15th 2007 4:15 pm

Renewing a UK passport with US visa

Hi,

Just recieved our L1 and L2's today :). Hopefully due to move to Dallas at the end of October from Cambridge UK. I have been reading lots from the site for a while and have found most of the answers to all the questons I would have asked, thanks.

However I do have one query, My son's passport is due to run out at the end of next June, would it be better to renew it before we leave or are passports easy to renew whilst in the US? Also what happens to the visa in the old passport?

Thanks in advance.

Englishmum Sep 15th 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Renewing a UK passport with US visa

Passports are easy to renew in the US and you can download all the forms from the

http://www.britainusa.com

website if you go to the consular section.

No worries about the current visa in the old passport - you just travel with both old and new passport. :)

lisag8070 Sep 15th 2007 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 5315510)
Passports are easy to renew in the US and you can download all the forms from the

http://www.britainusa.com

website if you go to the consular section.

No worries about the current visa in the old passport - you just travel with both old and new passport. :)

yep this is true as my daughter is doing the same thing, we have the old pass(with the visa) and the new one...

just one thing, when you renew the passport you know how they usually clip the corners off the old passport,.. please make sure they don't do this on the visa page as this will invalidate the visa....

good luck on moving to Dallas :thumbsup:

Elvira Sep 15th 2007 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by lisag8070 (Post 5316308)
yep this is true as my daughter is doing the same thing, we have the old pass(with the visa) and the new one...

just one thing, when you renew the passport you know how they usually clip the corners off the old passport,.. please make sure they don't do this on the visa page as this will invalidate the visa....

good luck on moving to Dallas :thumbsup:

We did not find this to be the case - whole family travelled without any problems with clipped PP/visa and new passports.

NB: I vaguely remember reading somewhere that passports are more expensive in the US...

CaliforniaBride Sep 15th 2007 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5316320)
We did not find this to be the case - whole family travelled without any problems with clipped PP/visa and new passports.

Same here.

lisag8070 Sep 16th 2007 12:06 am

[QUOTE=Elvira;5316320]We did not find this to be the case - whole family travelled without any problems with clipped PP/visa and new passports.

Weird, what can I say when I spoke to the consulate they told me this, but when I went to the passport office, they told me it wouldn't be a problem but did it anyway....go figure...:huh:

ex_exile Sep 16th 2007 12:50 am

UK passports cost 25% more to renew overseas

Some countries (for example Australia) allow you to use visa in an expired passport, some countries (for example NewZealand) do not, I have no idea what the USA's policy is

Jerseygirl Sep 16th 2007 1:01 am

We renewed our PPs prior to getting the visa for this very reason..he'll just have to carry both passports when leaving and entering the US.

UKJeeper Sep 16th 2007 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 5315510)

I've been travelling back and forward for almost 10 years on my 'new' passport. Never even carried the old one (with the original visa stamp). When they scan the passport, it flags that you have a visa and i just whip out the GC.

Elvira Sep 16th 2007 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by UKJeeper (Post 5318165)
I've been travelling back and forward for almost 10 years on my 'new' passport. Never even carried the old one (with the original visa stamp). When they scan the passport, it flags that you have a visa and i just whip out the GC.

What visa............... If you have a GC you do not need a visa...

UKJeeper Sep 16th 2007 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5318170)
What visa............... If you have a GC you do not need a visa...

A GC is an Immigrant visa, is it not?

Elvira Sep 16th 2007 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by UKJeeper (Post 5318200)
A GC is an Immigrant visa, is it not?

A GC is a Permanent Resident card, *not* a visa.

:)

UKJeeper Sep 16th 2007 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5318215)
A GC is a Permanent Resident card, *not* a visa.

:)

I guess you are right. I have a LPR visa stamp in my old passport, right?

Elvira Sep 16th 2007 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by UKJeeper (Post 5318244)
I guess you are right. I have a LPR visa, right?

It's *not* a visa...

I would not know whether you are an LPR or a CPR without seeing your card or knowing your details.

Conditional GCs are given to PRs who have adjusted status through marriage but have been married less than 2 years at the time adjustment is granted. Legal PR (10-year GC) is granted once conditions are removed, or if adjustment is for other reasons, eg employment-based.

UKJeeper Sep 16th 2007 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5318253)
It's *not* a visa...

I would not know whether you are an LPR or a CPR without seeing your card or knowing your details.

Conditional GCs are given to PRs who have adjusted status through marriage but have been married less than 2 years at the time adjustment is granted. Legal PR (10-year GC) is granted once conditions are removed, or if adjustment is for other reasons, eg employment-based.

Oh, i'm defintely LPR (currently). We've been married for 16 years, and in fact my 10 year GC just expired. There's a couple of posts on here about my recent attempt to go over and renew the GC a couple of weeks ago...:(

I guess i always thought of LPRs being an immigrant visa, but then i haven't exactly read into it too much.