British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Renewing UK Passport - Few questions / advice needed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/renewing-uk-passport-few-questions-advice-needed-437123/)

PhilH930 Mar 24th 2007 6:52 pm

Renewing UK Passport - Few questions / advice needed

Hello all. I was searching on the web, mainly britainusa.com for advice and instructions for my British passport renewal. It left many unanswered questions. I was relieved to find this site and forum for opinions and advice from people who have been through the process.

Brief background. I was born in England, 1983 and grew up there until I emigrated to the USA, marrying a US Citizen. I am now a greencard holder and am enjoying life here, but have the problem of an upcoming expiring UK passport.

My existing UK passport was issued in 2002. I hope to get a 10 year renewal. Some questions I have:

1) I have not changed in appearance, and am now 24, so is it necessary to have photos countersigned?

2) As I was born after 31 Dec 1982, I have to complete info about my parents who still live in the UK on form C1. With documents to be sent, it states I need to send my parents birth certificates. Does anyone know if this is true, or is required for renewals? It seems somewhat silly to expect all overseas citizens to send parents birth certificates for such a routine thing, considering I already hold a UK passport.

3) I am completing form C1. Being in the US, but completing a UK form what date format do you use? Its this type of thing that normally causes confusion.

4) Will they return my old passport?

5) Do I need to send any other documents other than my old passport, my birth certificate, 2 photos of correct size, bankers cheque and completed forms?

Many thanks for any help that can be provided.

Elvira Mar 24th 2007 6:59 pm

Re: Renewing UK Passport - Few questions / advice needed

Originally Posted by PhilH930 (Post 4556789)
Hello all. I was searching on the web, mainly britainusa.com for advice and instructions for my British passport renewal. It left many unanswered questions. I was relieved to find this site and forum for opinions and advice from people who have been through the process.

Brief background. I was born in England, 1983 and grew up there until I emigrated to the USA, marrying a US Citizen. I am now a greencard holder and am enjoying life here, but have the problem of an upcoming expiring UK passport.

My existing UK passport was issued in 2002. I hope to get a 10 year renewal. Some questions I have:

1) I have not changed in appearance, and am now 24, so is it necessary to have photos countersigned?

2) As I was born after 31 Dec 1982, I have to complete info about my parents who still live in the UK on form C1. With documents to be sent, it states I need to send my parents birth certificates. Does anyone know if this is true, or is required for renewals? It seems somewhat silly to expect all overseas citizens to send parents birth certificates for such a routine thing, considering I already hold a UK passport.

3) I am completing form C1. Being in the US, but completing a UK form what date format do you use? Its this type of thing that normally causes confusion.

5) Do I need to send any other documents other than my old passport, my birth certificate, 2 photos of correct size, bankers cheque and completed forms?

(1) Not really but might consider doing so if there is any potential doubt about change in your appearance.

(2) AFAIK not needed for renewals

(3) Not sure though I would use British date format

(4) Yes - but keep a copy nevertheless

(5) I didn't think you need to send your birth certificate for a straightforward renewal but I could be wrong. Re-check the instructions. I think they also accept credit cards for payment.

Jerseygirl Mar 24th 2007 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by PhilH930 (Post 4556789)

1. I renewed my PP 12 mths ago and didn't get my photos countersigned as my appearance hadn't really changed in the last 10 yrs.

2. My daughter was born in 1985...the only document we sent when renewing her PP was the existing PP.

3. DD/MM/YY...UK format.

4. Yes...but best to take a copy of ID page.

5. We didn't send a birth certificate...just old PP, 2 photos, completed forms which included credit card details for payment.

If you are renewing your PP you shouldn't need to send any documents ie birth certificate etc. because they will have all your information on record...unless you've changed your name through marriage etc.

PhilH930 Mar 24th 2007 7:04 pm

Thank you for such prompt responses from personal experiences.

As its a straight forward renewal with no name changes etc, I will only send my old PP, two pictures, Form C1 and bankers cheque. I will get it to them this week, as by April 1st, the fee goes up roughly $60.

Jerseygirl Mar 24th 2007 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by PhilH930 (Post 4556804)
Thank you for such prompt responses from personal experiences.

As its a straight forward renewal with no name changes etc, I will only send my old PP, two pictures, Form C1 and bankers cheque. I will get it to them this week, as by April 1st, the fee goes up roughly $60.

I paid approx $190...it's one of the new bio PP. Took about 2 wks.

Welcome to BE :).

rochdalediva Mar 25th 2007 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4556797)
(1) Not really but might consider doing so if there is any potential doubt about change in your appearance.

(2) AFAIK not needed for renewals

(3) Not sure though I would use British date format

(4) Yes - but keep a copy nevertheless

(5) I didn't think you need to send your birth certificate for a straightforward renewal but I could be wrong. Re-check the instructions. I think they also accept credit cards for payment.

They accept Mastercard & Visa. There's a credit card authorization form you can fill out & send with your application.

http://www.britainusa.com/consular/e...5&Other_ID=237

Deedee13 Mar 25th 2007 11:37 pm

i thought we were ripped on in Germany, 147 euros but 190$ here, wow, how much does it cost in the UK?

JAJ Mar 25th 2007 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 4560893)
i thought we were ripped on in Germany, 147 euros but 190$ here, wow, how much does it cost in the UK?

Standard fee is GBP66 in the UK. British passports are more expensive outside the UK as a consular service fee is added to the converted UK fee.

PhilH930 Mar 26th 2007 2:33 am

Well its being mailed tomorrow. I included:

- Form C1
- Two Identical Photos
- Credit Card Authorization
- Existing Passport

I photo copied everything before it was mailed. I just hope it is a fast service, as I really don't like the idea of being overseas, albeit with a greencard, but without my passport.

Deedee13 Mar 26th 2007 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by PhilH930 (Post 4561169)
Well its being mailed tomorrow. I included:

- Form C1
- Two Identical Photos
- Credit Card Authorization
- Existing Passport

I photo copied everything before it was mailed. I just hope it is a fast service, as I really don't like the idea of being overseas, albeit with a greencard, but without my passport.

lets know how long it takes. thanks.

Elvira Mar 26th 2007 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by PhilH930 (Post 4561169)
Well its being mailed tomorrow...

When you say 'mailed' I hope you mean UPS, Fedex, or some other secure means...

PhilH930 Mar 26th 2007 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4563030)
When you say 'mailed' I hope you mean UPS, Fedex, or some other secure means...

Yes, by secure means.

BamaBrit Mar 28th 2007 4:42 am

what if you lost your old passport like i have?

Jerseygirl Mar 28th 2007 10:27 am

Originally Posted by BamaBrit (Post 4570825)
what if you lost your old passport like i have?

Report the loss to the police. Go to the UK Embassy in the US website...they have instructions on what to do if a PP is lost or stolen.

jerzyUk Apr 12th 2007 2:57 am

Where are you getting your pictures from? I have been to Walgreens, but the pictures were too blurry and too big.

Thanks,
Dave.