Reload this Page >

Renewing UK passport - dual citizenship

Renewing UK passport - dual citizenship

Old Mar 19th 2018, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renewing UK passport - dual citizenship

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You ‘renounce’ your previous citizenship during the oath ceremony but it has zero legal effect on your British citizenship. You are not required to surrender your British passport. You will simply become a citizen of both countries with two passports.
This is a very interesting point that I pondered as well. The oath is very specific, yet the US is one of few nations that allows dual citizenship. I suppose they can always go back to the oath if they want you to make a choice.

Many countries require you to renounce your citizenship officially once you take on a new one.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 10:55 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigK
They specifically ask for color copy of every page of the US passport in the instructions. No way around it.
Actually there is a way around it.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 11:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigK
This is a very interesting point that I pondered as well. The oath is very specific, yet the US is one of few nations that allows dual citizenship. I suppose they can always go back to the oath if they want you to make a choice.

Many countries require you to renounce your citizenship officially once you take on a new one.
The US, nor any other nation, can remove your British citizenship. Only the British government can do that. The only thing a foreign power can insist on is that you formally renounce your British citizenship with the Home Office before granting your new citizenship.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

The US, nor any other nation, can remove your British citizenship. Only the British government can do that. The only thing a foreign power can insist on is that you formally renounce your British citizenship with the Home Office before granting your new citizenship.
That's right, and the US does not require its new citizens to go do anything to "complete" the renunciation with their "old" country. There are countries that do regard the US oath as effecting renunciation of their citizenship, either because of the wording of the oath or simply by acquiring another citizenship. The UK is not one of them.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

I didnt say the US would ask you to renounce UK citizenship, I meant what you say in the latter part of your note
Old Mar 21st 2018, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rpjs
There are countries that do regard the US oath as effecting renunciation of their citizenship, either because of the wording of the oath or simply by acquiring another citizenship. The UK is not one of them.
Yes, many countries such as India do that. The US doesnt care. They will tax you for ALL income anyway. LOL!
Old Jul 11th 2018, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

shayma1986 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OldJuddian
Mercury39 has the official answer. send a color copy.

As long as your name is the same in both passports then it will be easy. If the names don't exactly match then you may be asked why. My daughter's UK passport was renewed with an added note explaining that she holds another foreign passport under a (slightly) different name. All resolved over email in a couple of days.
I hope you see this message as I’m having the same problem with the names not matching on both of my passports.Could you please tell me how did u resolve this issue.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shayma1986
I hope you see this message as I’m having the same problem with the names not matching on both of my passports.Could you please tell me how did u resolve this issue.
I received a letter via email saying
"You sent A copy of <daughter> <non-UK> passport as evidence to support this application. However, the
name shown on the passport shows <daughter's name> which is different from the name on the
British passport. For security purposes, we cannot issue a British passport if you hold a passport
(British or foreign), travel or ID document in a different name"

The passport office asked to see my daughter's long birth certificate. The request cam via email so I was able to email them.
Their public contact detail's are:
Visit our Website www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line for our Online Enquiry Form
Phone us: +44 (0)300 222 0000

After they saw the birth certificate I explained that the UK passport had her legal UK name and the non-UK passport had her legal non-UK name and that the difference was due to the law in each country and the restrictions on names in both countries.

After they checked with their line manager I received
"I have issued the passport for <daughter> , and included an observation to cross referee her name as it appears in the <non-UK> passport."

It was all resolved in 48 hrs from start to finish

Ian
Old Aug 13th 2018, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We photocopied all the pages of our US passport...sent them with the application. The new PP was received with a week. Some only send a copy of the main page showing pic and personal details.
The government has a "digital by Default" policy in dealing with citizens. Has anyone enquired as to whether digital photographs of the relevant passport pages are acceptable? These days everyone has a digital camera of one form or another (including a smartphone). How common are colour photocopiers whose output is an analogue medium?
Old Aug 13th 2018, 11:33 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I just renewed my British passport from Canada. Told them I had a Canadian passport. Didnt send anything other thanmy oldbritish one. Renewed within 2 weeks no delays
Old Aug 17th 2018, 2:08 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

I’m *very* impressed with the quick turnaround of having a new British passport issued to overseas residents! A few years ago it was taking many weeks for new passports to be issued and I actually chose to get mine renewed in person at the passport office in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire as I was living partly in the US and Switzerland.

My son is a dual national and his British passport expired in 2016; he is going to the UK next month and didn’t want to be stuck for 2 hours or more in the immigration line at LHR with his US passport.

Last Tuesday he sent his application off (enclosing 2 photos taken at Walgreens (they have a UK passport photo option but not all staff there know this...he had to inform them!), his old expired passport and photocopies of each page of his US passport. The fee had already been paid online when the application was made....you have 90 days to physically sign the application form which you’ve printed off and enclose with the required documents and received at the passport office (for overseas residents) in Durham.

I didn’t trust the USPS to get it to the UK quickly or as safely as a courier company, so went along to my local FedEx shipping center. This was on a Tuesday afternoon, 7th August at about 4pm. They guaranteed delivery in Durham, UK by Thursday two days later and could be tracked online. This cost $64.

On Tuesday 14th August there was an e-mail from DHL Couriers stating that they would be delivering a package which needed to be signed for the following day, but there was an option to reschedule. My son also got an e-mail and text message from the Passport Office confirming that the new passport was due to be delivered by DHL.

There was no one available at home yesterday, so we chose delivery for today....and yes, the new passport and the old passport were delivered today in two seperate envelopes.

Excellent service!
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold

I had more or less the same experience. I filled out the on-line application to renew my passport last Tuesday then mailed the declaration page with color copies of every page of my US passport along with 2 photos via FedEx since I've had a lot of trouble with USPS deliveries. Postage cost me just under $70.

I went to the on-line passport site on Friday where it stated that it was being processed. On Monday web-site showed that it had been dispatched. I received text messages from DHL giving me updates on the delivery. Yesterday (Wednesday) I received 2 packages, one with the new passport and one with the old passport with the copies of my US passport. As a side note, I requested that they deliver to my place of business since I wouldn't be home to sign for the packages, which they did. I did call DHL to confirm that the packages were being delivered to my business address as opposed to my home address.

I was a bit worried about this process of getting a new passport and couldn't be more pleased with the service.