Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing UK Driving licence- please read

Renewing UK Driving licence- please read

Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewing UK Driving licence- please read

Unwitting motorists face £1,000 fines as thousands of photocard driving licences expire

Thousands of motorists are at risk of being fined up to £1,000 because they are unwittingly driving without a valid licence.

They risk prosecution after failing to spot the extremely small print on their photocard licence which says it automatically expires after 10 years and has to be renewed - even though drivers are licensed to drive until the age of 70.

The fiasco has come to light a decade after the first batch of photo licences was issued in July 1998, just as the they start to expire.
Motoring organisations blamed the Government for the fiasco and said 'most' drivers believed their licences were for life.

A mock-up driving licence from 1998 when the photocards were launched shows the imminent expiry date as item '4b'

They said officials had failed to publicise sufficiently the fact that new-style licences - unlike the old paper ones - expire after a set period and have to be renewed.

To rub salt into wounds, drivers will have to a pay £17.50 to renew their card - a charge which critics have condemned as a 'stealth tax' and which will earn the Treasury an estimated £437million over 25 years.
I have looked at mine and it expires in 2011 is there anyway to renew it from the USA ???

Last edited by lolly; Feb 9th 2009 at 4:44 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:08 pm
Resident Hambone

K2JLX has a spectacular aura aboutK2JLX has a spectacular aura aboutK2JLX has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Renewing UK Driving licence- please read

To my knowledge you'll have to fill out and submit the application to the DVLA in Swansea, whether you live in the USA or anywhere else. My issue is that i have misplaced the counterpart of the photocard, and you cant renew the photo without submitting the counterpart. My photo expires next month, so i'm in a little bit of a position. :S
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by K2JLX
To my knowledge you'll have to fill out and submit the application to the DVLA in Swansea, whether you live in the USA or anywhere else. My issue is that i have misplaced the counterpart of the photocard, and you cant renew the photo without submitting the counterpart. My photo expires next month, so i'm in a little bit of a position. :S
Firstly they won't let you put a non-UK address on it.

Secondly why would you want to renew it? It almost certainly isn't valid if you are not resident in the UK.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what it's such a shock because there was so much fuss at the time when they came out that they would only be valid for 10 years.

As for renewing, no idea, but someone posted about this a couple weeks ago with info on what to do....
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

"Please read" -

"please treat this post as being far more important than every other post here"
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:04 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
"Please read" -

"please treat this post as being far more important than every other post here"
Well it's subjective isn't it? I don't know why it would seem so funny to you, to the OP the thread probably IS more important than any other.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:57 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Seems obvious to me that any card with a photo will have to be replaced
every X years
Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Well it's subjective isn't it? I don't know why it would seem so funny to you, to the OP the thread probably IS more important than any other.
kinda my point ... who would ever bother to write a post and then say in the subject, 'please ignore' or 'don't read'.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:39 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
every X years
Roman numerals, Ray?
Kind of showing your age there.. or maybe just your classical education?
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:42 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

My 4b says "28-11-2012". I probably won't bother renewing it, seeing that the world ends less than a month after that.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Roman numerals, Ray?
Kind of showing your age there.. or maybe just your classical education?
Umm!! it actally meant undefined number
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
every X years
Yeah. That damn passport agency and their stealth tax having to renew it every 10 years. Because I'm sure I'll look the same when I'm 67 as I did when I was 17.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray
Umm!! it actally meant undefined number
LoL It just struck me as funny that it coincided with the ten year life that they actually have on the licences. Naturally I wondered if it was a classy way of denoting a 10... well either that or you were blowing a kiss in there.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:34 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longy
Firstly they won't let you put a non-UK address on it.

Secondly why would you want to renew it? It almost certainly isn't valid if you are not resident in the UK.
Exactly what I was thinking - irrelevant on a USA forum. Wasn't there another thread recently that said once you go back you can just apply as though it's a renewal even if the photocard part has expired?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

1) ... A UK licence can't be renewed unless you live in the UK.
2) ... As I was told by DLVA in Swansea over the phone a few years back if ever I return to the UK to live and want to renew it I can do so on arrival.
3) ... Your US licence will be valid for the first 6 months back in the UK so you will be permitted to drive while you wait for the UK one.
4) ... The only way you will be fined is if you are stopped and produce the Uk one before it is renewed.