British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Renewing UK drivers license. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/renewing-uk-drivers-license-733490/)

lansbury Sep 26th 2011 1:31 am

Re: Renewing UK drivers license.

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk (Post 9641795)
It would be extremely difficult to make a case that I have broken the law. Who decides where I reside but me? You know as well as I do it could never be sucessfully brought to court. The whole subject is daft. :zzz:

My cousin who at the time was a traffic officer with Thames Valley did in fact over the course of a few months, stop and take to court 140 members of the travelling community for numerous traffic offences including driving with an invalid licence by way of the address on them not being their current residence.

He was trying to annoy the traffic C/I who had told him he wasn't reporting enough people for traffic offences.

Damagya Nov 9th 2011 9:52 pm

I was looking into this yesterday. You can order the form but not to overseas stick with your familys uk address its the fastest and easiest way around it

Jerseygirl Nov 9th 2011 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Damagya (Post 9723884)
I was looking into this yesterday. You can order the form but not to overseas stick with your familys uk address its the fastest and easiest way around it

You are advising people to lie on a government document. Well done. :rolleyes:

Damagya Nov 9th 2011 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9723897)
You are advising people to lie on a government document. Well done. :rolleyes:

Technically not lieing if you use that address when you stay in the UK:D Technically

Jerseygirl Nov 9th 2011 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Damagya (Post 9723912)
Technically not lieing if you use that address when you stay in the UK:D Technically

It doesn't make any difference which way you try to spin it...lying on a government document is illegal.

Damagya Nov 9th 2011 10:16 pm

[QUOTE=Jerseygirl;9723924]It doesn't make any difference which way you try to spin it...lying on a government document is illegal.[/QUOTE

I know its not right but people will try to circumvent the system to get what they need just looking at both sides of the coin. I am in the same position at the mo i need to renew my licence but cant if i followed my advice i could but as yet havent. i dont forsee me needing my uk license again so again i am showing a way to do it just not myself. As you pointed out it is illegal and if someone does choose to do it its their risk

Jerseygirl Nov 9th 2011 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Damagya (Post 9723959)

I know its not right but people will try to circumvent the system to get what they need just looking at both sides of the coin. I am in the same position at the mo i need to renew my licence but cant if i followed my advice i could but as yet havent. i dont forsee me needing my uk license again so again i am showing a way to do it just not myself. As you pointed out it is illegal and if someone does choose to do it its their risk

If you have a US DL you don't need a UK DL. Keep it and if you return to live in the UK the DVLA will issue you with a new one. It's as simple as that.

ian-mstm Nov 9th 2011 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Damagya (Post 9723912)

People always use the term "technically" when they want to avoid using the real term: "actually". :)

Ian