Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing UK drivers license.

Renewing UK drivers license.

Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:12 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing UK drivers license.

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If the address you use is not your permenant address then you can be fined and there used to be a prison option as well. The fine used to be £1000 (or maybe £10000, can't recall) and its quite easy for the DVLA to check council tax records to see the people who are listed as living at an address which I believe they do periodically and randomly. .
How on earth are they going to fine me? They don't know where I live! Prison for giving an incorrect address on a drivers license? Don't be daft man! They don't even jail rapists over there anymore. The DVLA can't check council tax records, what a load of codswallop, this is the DVLA! They struggle to issue a tax disc reminder, and are horrendously understaffed. Your premise is based on every license holder also being a tax payer? Not the case, you forget about shared houses. Are you getting confused with the electoral roll maybe?

Theoretically it has the potential to cause issues in the UK and the US regarding visa/free-card renewals and greencard/citizenship application. What are the chances? Probably remote but the more computer systems that exchange info are used the greater the risk. Kind if a weird thing to do really since there really is no benefit to having a UK license in the US and you can renew it easily if you ever move back.
Sheer fantasy. There is no sharing between the DVLA and the USCIS. 1) The data protection act in the UK would not let the DVLA disclose your information to some foreign government agency, and 2) The USCIS probably don't give a s**t who or what the DVLA are. NOTHING can or will come of maintaining a license in the UK, jesus everyone, get a grip!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:13 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No you can't.
Uh, I can and I do!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
Uh, I can and I do!
Bully for you...but's illegal and your DL is invalid.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 3:04 pm
Honorary Texan

tom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
You don't 'need' to do any such thing.

Any UK license is invalid for driving in the UK anyway since you aren't resident in the UK (your UK citizenship status is irrelevant for the purposes of the questions you are asking).

Just use your TX license when visiting the UK to avoid any licensing/insurance (or lack of) issues. If and when you return to the UK to live, worry about your UK license at that point - and you won't even need to retake the test then anyway.
Ok, thanks! I'm fine with just using my Texas license, I just find the UK DL is a useful ID when I'm visiting the motherland. As long as there's no time limit and I can renew it at any time (should I need to) then I'm happy.

I seem to have opened a can of worms with this question...
Old Sep 25th 2011, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

How on earth are they going to fine me? They don't know where I live! Prison for giving an incorrect address on a drivers license? Don't be daft man! They don't even jail rapists over there anymore. The DVLA can't check council tax records, what a load of codswallop, this is the DVLA! They struggle to issue a tax disc reminder, and are horrendously understaffed. Your premise is based on every license holder also being a tax payer? Not the case, you forget about shared houses. Are you getting confused with the electoral roll maybe?
I don't drive. But I had a provisional licence for a time about 10 years ago. In the years since then I'd changed my address many times and never bothered to tell DVLA as I had given up on learning to drive and didn't use the licence anyway. I thought that was the end of it and the licence would just expire.

Imagine my surprise when I received a renewal notice from DVLA at my current address, stating that the ten years were up and my provisional licence needed to be renewed. I called up and asked them how they'd managed to track me down, even though I'd had 6 or 7 different addresses in that time. The answer? Credit reference agency files.

So DVLA can and do track you from address to address.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it is the electoral roll but the point is, there are very easy ways to see who is living at an address and who is just using the address for convenience.

Sheer fantasy. There is no sharing between the DVLA and the USCIS. 1) The data protection act in the UK would not let the DVLA disclose your information to some foreign government agency, and 2) The USCIS probably don't give a s**t who or what the DVLA are. NOTHING can or will come of maintaining a license in the UK, jesus everyone, get a grip!
I never said that the DVLA shared info with USCIS but the applicant is required to share a ton of personal information including their legal past, which this would fall under. Fraud against the government is not looked at in a good light, no matter how minor and entitled to do it you feel you are.

Regardless of any fines (which they have) and jail time (which has been on the table in the past) it still makes no sense to willingly go against the law to renew a license that will have no use until you move back to the UK at which time you can renew it without any problems. The biggest question I have is what's the point of doing it other than to give the DVLA some extra money for nothing?
Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:16 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

Maybe it is the electoral roll but the point is, there are very easy ways to see who is living at an address and who is just using the address for convenience.
Really? I don't think so. Please do tell how the travelling communities in the UK are able to maintain their GB licenses? I will tell you - by using a bricks and mortar address for this purpose, without any fear of fines or otherwise, and of course they don't live there (btw that is something in the region of 85,000 people).

I never said that the DVLA shared info with USCIS but the applicant is required to share a ton of personal information including their legal past, which this would fall under. Fraud against the government is not looked at in a good light, no matter how minor and entitled to do it you feel you are.
"Fraud", "legal past"? I don't recall anything in my visa process to do with my drivers license, or that I have to give up having an address in the UK. The US government couldn't give a s**t if I keep my GB license, you are talking out of your a**e!

Regardless of any fines (which they have) and jail time (which has been on the table in the past) it still makes no sense to willingly go against the law to renew a license that will have no use until you move back to the UK at which time you can renew it without any problems.
The legal system in the UK cannot even cope with the hardcore criminals, jail time for keeping a GB license is never going to happen, a fine is so unlikely it is laughable. Someone would have to prove I have done something wrong, and that would take some serious doing!

The biggest question I have is what's the point of doing it other than to give the DVLA some extra money for nothing?
Good question! 1) You never know what changes the DVLA might make in future, I don't want to risk having to re-take my test at somepoint down the line. 2) Keeping a handy UK ID, US licenses look cheap and fake, and aren't widely accepted in the UK. 3) Nostalgia I suppose, I worked hard for my GBL and I want to keep it.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

jesus everyone, get a grip!
An ironic statement, since you don't seem to be able to 'grip' the fact that any UK license renewed using an address you don't live at is invalid, and therefore is useless.

Since you aren't interested in reasonable dialogue on this subject, further discussion is irrelevant and a waste of time.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 12:53 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Someone would have to prove I have done something wrong, and that would take some serious doing!
I'm constrained to point out that: 1) you have admitted to the act in a public forum; and 2) the BE administrators likely know who you are.

Ian
Old Sep 26th 2011, 12:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm constrained to point out that: 1) you have admitted to the act in a public forum; and 2) the BE administrators likely know who you are.

Ian
You forgot 3) Site Rule #3.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 1:12 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You forgot 3) Site Rule #3.
Links to inappropriate content?
Old Sep 26th 2011, 1:15 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
It would be extremely difficult to make a case that I have broken the law. Who decides where I reside but me? You know as well as I do it could never be sucessfully brought to court. The whole subject is daft.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 1:16 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Links to inappropriate content?
Links to adult content, pages with links to adult content, near adult content, warez, hate sites or messages describing anything against the law is not allowed and will be removed.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

"Fraud", "legal past"? I don't recall anything in my visa process to do with my drivers license, or that I have to give up having an address in the UK. The US government couldn't give a s**t if I keep my GB license, you are talking out of your a**e!
So you don't recall having to get a police certificate or the questions about committing crimes? If you are caught as having made a fraudulent statement in order to renew a drivers license, that would need to be included on an application. I know the US couldn't care about you having a UK license but they do if you obtained it fraudulently.

You also seemed to have missed the part of my original post that says the chances of it catching up with you is remote, but the chance is still there.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 1:29 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

There are photos on the UK driver's license?

I've obviously been away too long

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.