British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Renewing Passports While In USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/renewing-passports-while-usa-800114/)

Parisangel Jun 14th 2013 2:42 pm

Renewing Passports While In USA

Hello!

I wonder if you guys can offer any wisdom here....so we are travelling back to the UK on 31st July for a 3 week visit. We just realised my 5 yr old son's passport expires in August. (I know, I know...) Looked at renewing here and takes 4 weeks which is okay but the issue is we don't know a doctor / lawyer etc etc here who can countersign, plus we have only been here 8 months so not within the 2 year limit anyway...the FCO advisor said explain there is no counter signature because of this and the passport examiner may or may not allow - anyone experienced this?

Also our visas are in our current passports, will they accept my son's in his cancelled passport?

Any advice really appreciated....:)

AmerLisa Jun 14th 2013 3:40 pm

Re: Renewing Passports While In USA

Can you renew it in the UK? I think there have been several threads on passports, but someone had said that you could do it over there while you are visiting... :unsure:

lisa67 Jun 14th 2013 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Parisangel (Post 10756809)
Hello!

I wonder if you guys can offer any wisdom here....so we are travelling back to the UK on 31st July for a 3 week visit. We just realised my 5 yr old son's passport expires in August. (I know, I know...) Looked at renewing here and takes 4 weeks which is okay but the issue is we don't know a doctor / lawyer etc etc here who can countersign, plus we have only been here 8 months so not within the 2 year limit anyway...the FCO advisor said explain there is no counter signature because of this and the passport examiner may or may not allow - anyone experienced this?

Also our visas are in our current passports, will they accept my son's in his cancelled passport?

Any advice really appreciated....:)

Yes, you can look into renewing it in the UK while you're there...I think you can pay extra and get in back in 24hrs.
At this time of the year I wouldn't risk sending it to be renewed from here and hoping to get it back in time.
Yes, you carry the expired passport with the visa in as we'll as the news sort when going through immigration.

Orangepants Jun 14th 2013 3:49 pm

My OH just renewed his passport in one day in London - appointment at noon - picked up PP at 4pm. I countersigned the pictures and I'm not a lawyer - they just glanced at the back of the pics and left it at that.

Yes you carry the two passports.

Bob Jun 14th 2013 5:53 pm

If you're already going to be on holiday, do it in the UK.

It will be a lot cheaper as well as quicker. If you plan it right, you could probably even organise same day processing, but that is a little more expensive.

BritInParis Jun 16th 2013 8:00 pm

Any professional person can countersign the photos so long as that person is not a relative. There's a long list on the UK government website of acceptable persons (his doctor or school teacher might be a good bet).

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

As for the two year limit, it's a common occurrence overseas, so you won't be the first person to apply with this issue. There is space on the application form to explain any additional circumstances e.g. we have known this person for X months because we have only been here since Y.

You can renew in the UK of course and even the one day service is cheaper than renewing overseas, but you will still need to have the photos suitably countersigned.

tnguy Jun 28th 2013 4:30 pm

I got a friend (who has his PhD) to sign. That's a doctor, right? :) I've also had the bank manager do it in the past.