Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing a passport question.

Renewing a passport question.

Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewing a passport question.

I am renewing my daughters US passport this month. The website is about as clear as mud!

Do I HAVE to mail her old passport in when I apply for the new one? Her current one is still valid.

When my mum died suddenly a couple of years back I flew back to england within 2 days of her dying. My dad is not in great health and I am a little nervous about her being without her passport.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:51 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing a passport question.

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US View Post
Do I HAVE to mail her old passport in
Yes.

But they're usually pretty quick.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Like FB said. Get it mailed and it should be back in your hands within 10/14 days.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 7th 2008 at 5:20 am.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

The way the web site reads is that to renew you have to be 16 years or older... so when you click on the minors link it lists as evidence

For proof of citizenship, you will need to submit one of the following:

Certified U.S. birth certificate ; or
Previous fully valid U.S. Passport; or
Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240); or
Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350); or
Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization from USCIS

It does not specify one way or the other that you have to send back the old one... like I said it is as clear as mud
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US View Post
The way the web site reads is that to renew you have to be 16 years or older... so when you click on the minors link it lists as evidence

For proof of citizenship, you will need to submit one of the following:

Certified U.S. birth certificate ; or
Previous fully valid U.S. Passport; or
Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240); or
Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350); or
Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization from USCIS

It does not specify one way or the other that you have to send back the old one... like I said it is as clear as mud
Sorry...would you please remind me...was she born in or out of the US? If in...then surely her US birth certificate would suffice. If not you need to apply for a UK PP.

If in doubt I would send all applicable documents...take copies first.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Sorry...would you please remind me...was she born in or out of the US? If in...then surely her US birth certificate would suffice. If not you need to apply for a UK PP.

If in doubt I would send all applicable documents...take copies first.
She is US born, I am renewing her US passport.