Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing passport

Renewing passport

Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

mikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to behold
Default Renewing passport

I am renewing my British passport, completed the forms and just about to send it, but I just have a quick question about the I 94 inside. Do I send the I-94 with the old passport, or should I keep hold of it and then just put it inside the new one when it is returned?
Thanks
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:27 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing passport

Originally Posted by mikec81
I am renewing my British passport, completed the forms and just about to send it, but I just have a quick question about the I 94 inside. Do I send the I-94 with the old passport, or should I keep hold of it and then just put it inside the new one when it is returned?
Thanks
Keep it in your mitts...
You will carry both until you get a stamp on the next entry
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:55 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I am actually surprised that you are in this situation. I didn't think that a POE officer would allow you to stay past the expiration date of your passport and a lot of countries require you to have at least 6 months validity left on it before they admit you.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

mikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
I am actually surprised that you are in this situation. I didn't think that a POE officer would allow you to stay past the expiration date of your passport and a lot of countries require you to have at least 6 months validity left on it before they admit you.
It doesn't actually expire until the end of October, just getting it sorted now
Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if you'll be able to renew it in DC if it's not an urgent renewal or you're not a US resident. As you have over 6 mths left why don't you wait and renew it in the UK? For a start it will be cheaper.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't know if you'll be able to renew it in DC if it's not an urgent renewal or you're not a US resident. As you have over 6 mths left why don't you wait and renew it in the UK? For a start it will be cheaper.
I actually have a J-2 visa which is valid with the DS 2019 provided by the sponsor. The visa in my passport needs to be added for me to be able to re enter the US, so I have my interview in London scheduled for the day that I arrive back in England. That way, I can get my passport sent back to me before I leave to come back here. Thats the reason why I am getting the renewal now, rather than waiting until I go back...
Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:40 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Speculation/uninformed comment ahead: all other things being equal, I would have thought there's no need ever to send any US visa or paperwork to the UK government for routine stuff and passport issue: it's not theirs, they don't need to see it, what your legal/immigration status in the US is is none of their business, and if they fail to give it back, the US government will just give you grief about it.

Right or wrong, in pricniple?
Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Speculation/uninformed comment ahead: all other things being equal, I would have thought there's no need ever to send any US visa or paperwork to the UK government for routine stuff and passport issue: it's not theirs, they don't need to see it, what your legal/immigration status in the US is is none of their business, and if they fail to give it back, the US government will just give you grief about it.

Right or wrong, in pricniple?
My thinking exactly, going to keep a hold of it and then just add it to the new passport and carry the old one as well when I travel this time around
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Where's the best place to go to get a photo done ?

I need to renew my passport as well
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukelaine

Take it yourself
http://www.epassportphoto.com/
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:18 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukelaine
If you have AAA, they do it for a few shekels.