Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing Green Card

Renewing Green Card

Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:37 pm
Northern git

Wiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to all
Default Renewing Green Card

My Green card is good until 2011, so got a bit of time on my hands before it runs out.

How difficult is it to renew a green card and how much time should I give myself and are there any things that I need to be aware of?

Is it a pretty straight forward process, is it costly and can it be done over the internet ?

Cheers
Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:03 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing Green Card

Originally Posted by Wiganer
My Green card is good until 2011, so got a bit of time on my hands before it runs out.

How difficult is it to renew a green card and how much time should I give myself and are there any things that I need to be aware of?

Is it a pretty straight forward process, is it costly and can it be done over the internet ?

Cheers
Why bother? Naturalize and get it over with.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:05 pm
Northern git

Wiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to allWiganer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Why bother? Naturalize and get it over with.
I may, but would still like to understand the process of renewing my green card.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

www.uscis.gov and check the faq's...it's not hard, might take a year, probably cost a couple hundred, knowing them *lol*
Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Wow...you believe in forward planning don't you?
Old Aug 30th 2006, 11:26 pm
Northern git

ROFL.

Well, let's just say I don't want any surprises. I know it might take a year so basically I have a few years to sit on it then I need to get my behind into gear.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Wow...you believe in forward planning don't you?
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

ROFL.

Well, let's just say I don't want any surprises. I know it might take a year so basically I have a few years to sit on it then I need to get my behind into gear.

basically what happens is when you go to renew they will put a sticker on the back of your old GC (the one you are renewing) extending it for 3 months if i recall. the new card may take upwards of a year to get back. if your old card is again going to expire after the sticker is put on and you need to travel, you can get a further extension sticker put on it...
oh and you will need to go and see the kind folks at the USCIS to do all this.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers
hiya, i just renewed my 10 yr g.card a couple of mths ago and from start to finish took about 4 weeks....no probs, all done online except for biometrics appt...the link bob gave you is the way forward however rules/regs can change and so who knows what'll be happening in 2011
Old Sep 4th 2006, 11:50 pm
Banned

leedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to all

No offence wigan lady, I would love for some one to explain to me why on earth someone like yourself would even contemplate renewing your green card when you have the opportunity of going for citizenship and never having to deal with US immigration again. Please tell me the benefit of always being under some kind of restriction when it comes to the USCIS whether it be the amount of time you spend out of the US or having to keep them informed of a change of address or having to renew the green card. Also as a green card holder, you are still eligible to be deported if you misbehave and who knows what tight restrictions or new laws they will bring in, in the future to make your life more difficult. Granted, what I have said is rare and unlikely to happen but the prospect of having to continue dealing with the bureaucracy within the USCIS was enough to convince me to get my citizenship. In addition, I wanted to vote and work for the bureacracy. One question: if your ultimate goal wasn't to get citizenship then why are you here?

Cheers
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:08 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

One question: if your ultimate goal wasn't to get citizenship then why are you here?
People move to countries only in order to get citizenship?
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
People move to countries only in order to get citizenship?
If your plan is to settle permanently in a country (especially a western country), why would you not want to be a citizen?
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:16 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If your plan is to settle permanently in a country (especially a western country), why would you not want to be a citizen?
Because maybe not everyone plans to settle permanently or even knows what the future will hold. I am taking it one step at a time. If I am still here when the citizenship issue comes around and it seems the right thing to do for me then maybe I'll do it.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
We have lived in the US for over 10 yrs, GC holders for 8 yrs...we applied for citizenship a couple of weeks ago. For me it was a huge decision to make...not one of convenience.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 3:11 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really understand any reluctance to become a citizen, it's not a lifetime commitment and you don't lose your British citizenship. I know that they still go through the motions to get you to renounce allegience, but when they tried to enforce it in a case, the Supreme Court ruled against the government.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 3:15 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I don't really understand any reluctance to become a citizen, it's not a lifetime commitment and you don't lose your British citizenship. I know that they still go through the motions to get you to renounce allegience, but when they tried to enforce it in a case, the Supreme Court ruled against the government.

Not a lifetime commitment???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.