Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing GC Without an Expiration Date

Renewing GC Without an Expiration Date

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 8:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewing GC Without an Expiration Date

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services published a proposed rule in the Federal Register today that will require approximately 750,000 lawful permanent residents carrying ‘green cards’ without expiration dates to apply for a new Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551). The proposal allows for a 120-day filing period for applications. The change allows USCIS to issue more secure permanent resident cards, update cardholder information, conduct background checks, and electronically store applicants’ fingerprint and photographic information.

Currently, the total cost is $370

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrele...ntQA082207.pdf
Old Aug 24th 2007, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Renewing GC Without an Expiration Date

I think this is for the really old cards. I have been here for over 20 years, and I know before that time, people had cards with no date on them. However, I seem to remember a few years ago that if you had one of these old cards and were going out of the country, they made you apply for one of the new gc on returning to the US. Up until now you have not had to change them unless like I said above, you were going out of the country and they flagged you. bloody expensive all the same.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Ray;5223241]U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services published a proposed rule in the Federal Register today that will require approximately 750,000 lawful permanent residents carrying ‘green cards’ without expiration
dates to apply for a new Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551).

This means me ......here since 79, GC in 81. No expiration date ....but I've never had any request to update coming or going pretty much every year.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, Ray...thanks for posting that link. I had no idea this was happening.