Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing drivers license now that I have Green Card

Renewing drivers license now that I have Green Card

Old Sep 2nd 2018, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewing drivers license now that I have Green Card

Hey all

So I got my Green Card a couple of months ago and am going to the DMV this coming week to renew my drivers license - which expires on the 11th September. I've done a little bit of research and it seems that I was supposed to receive a couple of things in the mail, a camera card and an invitation to renew. I never received either of these things, so what is the process for getting my license renewed? Do I just go to the DMV with my green card, a check for $35 and say I want to renew? I'm in Pennsylvania if that helps any.

Thanks

Adam
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing drivers license now that I have Green Card

I just showed up at a DMV in NC with my DL and GC. Hopefully someone could give you state specific instructions.

However... check? Really?
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I just showed up at a DMV in NC with my DL and GC. Hopefully someone could give you state specific instructions.

However... check? Really?
That's the only way they would let me pay last time! I know some DMV's allow card payments, some cash - but mine appears to be stuck in the 60's!
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 5:27 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984
Hey all

So I got my Green Card a couple of months ago and am going to the DMV this coming week to renew my drivers license - which expires on the 11th September. I've done a little bit of research and it seems that I was supposed to receive a couple of things in the mail, a camera card and an invitation to renew. I never received either of these things, so what is the process for getting my license renewed? Do I just go to the DMV with my green card, a check for $35 and say I want to renew? I'm in Pennsylvania if that helps any.

Thanks

Adam
We are also in PA and the three of us each received reminder letters several months before our licenses were due to expire (on the days our EADs would have expired). As we each had our green cards by then we each went along to the DMV with our green card, expiring license, filled in renewal form and cheque book. Once there we showed our green card, paid the appropriate fee, had our photo taken and walked out with a new license expiring the day after the birthday of holder in more than 3 but less than 4 years time. Afaiui you only get the online renewal and photo card option once you have shown you are a legal permanent resident. These were definitely the most straight forward visits to the DMV (we have each held a learner's permit, a license valid for the length of our original visa, a license valid to the expiry of our EAD and finally a (nearly) 4 year license!)
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lizzyq
We are also in PA and the three of us each received reminder letters several months before our licenses were due to expire (on the days our EADs would have expired). As we each had our green cards by then we each went along to the DMV with our green card, expiring license, filled in renewal form and cheque book. Once there we showed our green card, paid the appropriate fee, had our photo taken and walked out with a new license expiring the day after the birthday of holder in more than 3 but less than 4 years time. Afaiui you only get the online renewal and photo card option once you have shown you are a legal permanent resident. These were definitely the most straight forward visits to the DMV (we have each held a learner's permit, a license valid for the length of our original visa, a license valid to the expiry of our EAD and finally a (nearly) 4 year license!)
See I didn't receive anything in the mail, but I have read that you can just download the renewal form. Think that'll work?
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 6:00 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

See I didn't receive anything in the mail, but I have read that you can just download the renewal form. Think that'll work?
Yes, that will be fine. Even with the reminder we had to download and fill in the renewal form. I think once you have permanent resident status the next renewal can be done online. Of course if you have naturalised in the meantime you will still have show proof of your new status when you go for your new photo
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 12:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all

Thanks

Adam
I have moved your thread over to our Main US Forum. Please note the Immigration Forum is for discussions about US Visas/passports/citizenship only. Thank you.