Reload this Page >

Renewing British Passport from the USA

Renewing British Passport from the USA

Old Apr 17th 2015, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

tommy9h is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renewing British Passport from the USA

Originally Posted by mikelincs
no bottlenecks, they were some in 2014, but they have all cleared, some people on here are saying they got theirs back within 2 weeks. No need to spend megabucks flying to the UK, just apply from where you are and it should be no problem.
Did you guys have to send in copies of US snd UK passport as well and tax id etc.. I noticed now they are asking everything .. ..

Last edited by tommy9h; Apr 17th 2015 at 4:42 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tommy9h
Did you guys have to send in copies of US passport as well and tax id etc.. now they are asking everything I am noticing..
I sent a copy of my US Passport, but you will see some strong views on here about the need for that and the right of the UK government to ask for it.

Yes, you have to send your current UK passport.

Tax id?? No.

I repeat, go to the link I gave and work through it. It tells you everything you need to know.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

tommy9h is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I sent a copy of my US Passport, but you will see some strong views on here about the need for that and the right of the UK government to ask for it.

Yes, you have to send your current UK passport.

Tax id?? No.

I repeat, go to the link I gave and work through it. It tells you everything you need to know.

Thank you. I agree the Uk government has no business regarding the need for US passport. Can anyone share any experiences how it was handled regarding not sharing the US passport information to Uk gov? what was there experience ? did they ask for more document or Uk passport was enough?
Old Apr 17th 2015, 6:55 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tommy9h
Thank you. I agree the Uk government has no business regarding the need for US passport. Can anyone share any experiences how it was handled regarding not sharing the US passport information to Uk gov? what was there experience ? did they ask for more document or Uk passport was enough?
What they don't know won't hurt them. However it would require you to deliberately lie in writing to HMG. Up to you whether you want to go down the road or not.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Gerry1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll renew my passprt next week as we plan on taking a trip to Canada in June or July. There is some really good information on this post. I don't have a US passport at the moment. But, I hope to get one in two years when I qualify. I didn't know you have to send a copy of your US passport when applying for a British one.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

u2jrmw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MsElui
just get USA sized passport photos AND DO NOT cut them. The facial dimensions and ratios are the same (as its a worldwide regulation) and the UK will cut down to the size they want (as US photos are wider with spare background on).

It used to specifically say this on the renewal site - (ie dont cut). ive done this with at LEAST 5 passport renewals in the last 8 years - one as recently as 2 months ago. No issues with any of the renewals whatsoever. i typically go to wlagreens or CVS type places.
I have checked with Walgreens and they have a setting for UK Passport photos. However I believe there background is a brilliant white and the instructions are cream or light gray.

Did you have any issues with that?
Old Feb 6th 2016, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

whitebear is an unknown quantity at this point

Certainly wasn't asked for any US Passport information from my spouse.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Westham is an unknown quantity at this point

I am thinking of renewing my UK Passport which recently expired, I also have a current US passport. I am unsure why the UK Government is requiring the passport issued by any other country when requesting a UK passport renewal from overseas?
Has anyone come across this situation and if so what have the done, sent the other passport as requested or not sent it?
Old Mar 21st 2016, 4:43 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Westham
I am thinking of renewing my UK Passport which recently expired, I also have a current US passport. I am unsure why the UK Government is requiring the passport issued by any other country when requesting a UK passport renewal from overseas?
Has anyone come across this situation and if so what have the done, sent the other passport as requested or not sent it?
It's come up a few times. The answer seems to be - how would they know what other passports you hold?
Old Mar 21st 2016, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Westham
I looked at this recently as I need to renew my passport when in the UK this year and could see that if I applied from overseas I can send in a copy of my US passport but while in the UK I have to send in the actual US passport.

When our daughter renewed hers a couple of years back from California she enclosed a copy of her US passport.

I don't know why they want it or how they would know if you have other nationalities if you don't admit to it.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 6:49 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

When I renewed mine and Mrs L's, on separate occasions, we did not send in our US passports or any copies. We both received our new passport without any problems.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I looked at this recently as I need to renew my passport when in the UK this year and could see that if I applied from overseas I can send in a copy of my US passport but while in the UK I have to send in the actual US passport.

When our daughter renewed hers a couple of years back from California she enclosed a copy of her US passport.

I don't know why they want it or how they would know if you have other nationalities if you don't admit to it.

Thanks for the response, I don't believe I really need a UK passport anymore but I just don't want to give it up either.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
When I renewed mine and Mrs L's, on separate occasions, we did not send in our US passports or any copies. We both received our new passport without any problems.

Thanks, I will also try your route and see how it all goes.
Old Mar 23rd 2016, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
It's come up a few times. The answer seems to be - how would they know what other passports you hold?

Yes, I agree how would they know.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 2:43 pm
The Hamburgler Incarnate!

Karlosthecackle is an unknown quantity at this point

If you renew from the US, they send your old passport back right? My L1 visa is in my old passport... or do you have to get the visa transferred?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.