Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing British Passport in US - questions

Renewing British Passport in US - questions

Old Dec 9th 2007, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

motormanC69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing British Passport in US - questions

OK,I'm sending out the paperwork to renew my passport this week.($265,what a rip!) So I downloaded the form to fill in from the BritainUSA site. Anyway, on page 3 of the notes for form C1 , DOCUMENTS TO BE PRODUCED FOR A BRITISH CITIZEN PASSPORT, BORN OR ADOPTED IN THE UK BEFORE 1 JANUARY 1983 it says to provide birth certificate,but it does not say if this is for renewals or applications for a first-time passport,or both. Can anyone enlighten me on that ?

Also,I thought they now kept the expired passport,but on the BritainUSA site renewal page,it says it will be returned. They did return my old black one that I renwed 10 years ago,and just stamped CANCELLED over each page within. Do they still do that? I would have thought they keep them nowadays in an effort to stop forgery and such
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all
Default Re: Renewing British Passport in US - questions

Originally Posted by motormanC69
OK,I'm sending out the paperwork to renew my passport this week.($265,what a rip!) So I downloaded the form to fill in from the BritainUSA site. Anyway, on page 3 of the notes for form C1 , DOCUMENTS TO BE PRODUCED FOR A BRITISH CITIZEN PASSPORT, BORN OR ADOPTED IN THE UK BEFORE 1 JANUARY 1983 it says to provide birth certificate,but it does not say if this is for renewals or applications for a first-time passport,or both. Can anyone enlighten me on that ?

Also,I thought they now kept the expired passport,but on the BritainUSA site renewal page,it says it will be returned. They did return my old black one that I renwed 10 years ago,and just stamped CANCELLED over each page within. Do they still do that? I would have thought they keep them nowadays in an effort to stop forgery and such
Page 2 Note 12 says, in part "Documents
are not normally needed if you are surrendering a recently
expired, unrestricted British passport showing your national
status as British citizen, British Dependent/Overseas
Territories citizen, British Overseas citizen, British subject or
British protected person and all other details are the same."
Old Dec 10th 2007, 12:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you are renewing your PP you do not need to send documents 'cos they already have your records...unless there is a change in your circumstances ie name change by marriage etc. The corner is clipped off the old PP and returned.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 12:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
Page 2 Note 12 says, in part "Documents
are not normally needed if you are surrendering a recently
expired, unrestricted British passport showing your national
status as British citizen, British Dependent/Overseas
Territories citizen, British Overseas citizen, British subject or
British protected person and all other details are the same."
Ah yeah I saw that,I thought it meant surrenduring permanently,as in not renewing. Cool,just as well because i don't know where the hell my BC is anyway !
Old Dec 10th 2007, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice

The out of date passport is returned, with the corner cut off, as sometimes the PP will contain a still valid visa. So the traveller will need to carry both the new passport and the old with the visa.

HTH

C
Old Dec 10th 2007, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cranners99
The out of date passport is returned, with the corner cut off, as sometimes the PP will contain a still valid visa. So the traveller will need to carry both the new passport and the old with the visa.

HTH

C
There are no valid Visas in it but I'd like to have it just for all the stamps of places i've been to in the last 10 years !
Old Dec 10th 2007, 2:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by motormanC69
Ah yeah I saw that,I thought it meant surrenduring permanently,as in not renewing. Cool,just as well because i don't know where the hell my BC is anyway !
You should get a new birth certificate now as you do not know when you might need it. Start at http://www.gro.gov.uk
Old Dec 10th 2007, 6:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
You should get a new birth certificate now as you do not know when you might need it. Start at http://www.gro.gov.uk
Oh I know i have it,just it would take me days to find it !!