British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Renewing British Passport in US - questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/renewing-british-passport-us-questions-498884/)

motormanC69 Dec 9th 2007 10:54 pm

Renewing British Passport in US - questions

OK,I'm sending out the paperwork to renew my passport this week.($265,what a rip!) So I downloaded the form to fill in from the BritainUSA site. Anyway, on page 3 of the notes for form C1 , DOCUMENTS TO BE PRODUCED FOR A BRITISH CITIZEN PASSPORT, BORN OR ADOPTED IN THE UK BEFORE 1 JANUARY 1983 it says to provide birth certificate,but it does not say if this is for renewals or applications for a first-time passport,or both. Can anyone enlighten me on that ?

Also,I thought they now kept the expired passport,but on the BritainUSA site renewal page,it says it will be returned. They did return my old black one that I renwed 10 years ago,and just stamped CANCELLED over each page within. Do they still do that? I would have thought they keep them nowadays in an effort to stop forgery and such

jenniferpa Dec 9th 2007 11:07 pm

Re: Renewing British Passport in US - questions

Originally Posted by motormanC69 (Post 5650874)
OK,I'm sending out the paperwork to renew my passport this week.($265,what a rip!) So I downloaded the form to fill in from the BritainUSA site. Anyway, on page 3 of the notes for form C1 , DOCUMENTS TO BE PRODUCED FOR A BRITISH CITIZEN PASSPORT, BORN OR ADOPTED IN THE UK BEFORE 1 JANUARY 1983 it says to provide birth certificate,but it does not say if this is for renewals or applications for a first-time passport,or both. Can anyone enlighten me on that ?

Also,I thought they now kept the expired passport,but on the BritainUSA site renewal page,it says it will be returned. They did return my old black one that I renwed 10 years ago,and just stamped CANCELLED over each page within. Do they still do that? I would have thought they keep them nowadays in an effort to stop forgery and such

Page 2 Note 12 says, in part "Documents
are not normally needed if you are surrendering a recently
expired, unrestricted British passport showing your national
status as British citizen, British Dependent/Overseas
Territories citizen, British Overseas citizen, British subject or
British protected person and all other details are the same."

Jerseygirl Dec 10th 2007 12:13 am

If you are renewing your PP you do not need to send documents 'cos they already have your records...unless there is a change in your circumstances ie name change by marriage etc. The corner is clipped off the old PP and returned.

motormanC69 Dec 10th 2007 12:23 am

Originally Posted by jenniferpa (Post 5650906)
Page 2 Note 12 says, in part "Documents
are not normally needed if you are surrendering a recently
expired, unrestricted British passport showing your national
status as British citizen, British Dependent/Overseas
Territories citizen, British Overseas citizen, British subject or
British protected person and all other details are the same."

Ah yeah I saw that,I thought it meant surrenduring permanently,as in not renewing. Cool,just as well because i don't know where the hell my BC is anyway !

cranners99 Dec 10th 2007 12:29 am

The out of date passport is returned, with the corner cut off, as sometimes the PP will contain a still valid visa. So the traveller will need to carry both the new passport and the old with the visa.

HTH

C

motormanC69 Dec 10th 2007 12:33 am

Originally Posted by cranners99 (Post 5651059)
The out of date passport is returned, with the corner cut off, as sometimes the PP will contain a still valid visa. So the traveller will need to carry both the new passport and the old with the visa.

HTH

C

There are no valid Visas in it but I'd like to have it just for all the stamps of places i've been to in the last 10 years !

JAJ Dec 10th 2007 2:29 am

Originally Posted by motormanC69 (Post 5651052)
Ah yeah I saw that,I thought it meant surrenduring permanently,as in not renewing. Cool,just as well because i don't know where the hell my BC is anyway !

You should get a new birth certificate now as you do not know when you might need it. Start at http://www.gro.gov.uk

motormanC69 Dec 10th 2007 6:14 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 5651297)
You should get a new birth certificate now as you do not know when you might need it. Start at http://www.gro.gov.uk

Oh I know i have it,just it would take me days to find it !!