Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing British Passport and the Sizes of Passport Photos

Renewing British Passport and the Sizes of Passport Photos

Old Nov 19th 2016, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

GeekyGal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing British Passport and the Sizes of Passport Photos

I need to renew my British passport, which has been expired for more than a few years. The main thing that I'm not sure about is whether US passport photos are the same size as UK passport photos. I figure somebody here probably knows, and I'd appreciate some help with that. Also, if I've changed my name whilst here, does anyone know how much paperwork I would need to get that changed on a British passport? I've read about making your own deed poll. I'm just not sure if a self-made one is enough to change it on such an official document.

Thanks for all of your help and wisdom.
Old Nov 19th 2016, 7:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing British Passport and the Sizes of Passport Photos

45mm x 35mm
https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passpo...o-requirements

They are very strict about the photo now, but the above leaflet tells you everything you need to know about the photo.
Old Nov 19th 2016, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Use the search facility; there have been plenty of threads on the ins and outs of this, including a recent one.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 12:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Use the search facility; there have been plenty of threads on the ins and outs of this, including a recent one.
Thanks. I did read the recent thread, but it didn't answer either of my two questions, and I didn't want to hijack it. In any case, I'll do some searching.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 12:52 am
Just Joined

Okay, so it turns out that US passport photos and UK versions are a different size. Typical. So, now I am not sure where to get a 35mm x 45mm photo developed. The search begins..
Old Nov 20th 2016, 2:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeekyGal
Okay, so it turns out that US passport photos and UK versions are a different size. Typical. So, now I am not sure where to get a 35mm x 45mm photo developed. The search begins..
You can print it US size and as long as you don't get them cut, they will resize them. As long as you meet the rest of the specs.

You can get pretty much every pharmacy photobooth to do a UK sized print.

You can do it youself and get it laid out using epassportphoto.com or similar site and then going to Target, or where ever you go to print photo's and get it done. Cheapest option.

Can't help on the name thing, but it doesn't seem complicated from what other people have said.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 3:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
45mm x 35mm

They are very strict about the photo now, but the above leaflet tells you everything you need to know about the photo.
I am not sure what you mean by "very strict".

I renewed my British passport six months ago and sent them US passport photos* cropped (by me) to the size specified by the UK passport office. My new passport came back without further ado on the seventh day after it was mailed, sent on Tuesday, received back on Wednesday of the following week (UK-UK).

* I got tired of pleading with US pharmacy staff about whether their machines could produce UK passport spec photos.
Originally Posted by Bob
.... You can get pretty much every pharmacy photobooth to do a UK sized print. ....
You keep telling people that but I tried at least three pharmacies, two of them Walgreens, and had no success whatsoever in getting UK-spec passport photos. You may be right, but if the dip§4!ts that the pharmacies employee don't know how to use the machines it isn't much help.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 20th 2016 at 3:57 am.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 3:56 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Walgreens will do them for a few dollars to UK specifications, in a few minutes.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 3:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Walgreens will do them for a few dollars to UK specifications, in a few minutes.
No they won't, necessarily. My experience in two Walgreens, and 15-20 minutes wasted in each, says otherwise!
Old Nov 20th 2016, 4:09 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeekyGal
I've changed my name whilst here, does anyone know how much paperwork I would need to get that changed on a British passport? I've read about making your own deed poll. I'm just not sure if a self-made one is enough to change it on such an official document.
This letter I got from them might help.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thank you for your application for a passport.
Please send us evidence of your change of name from xxxxxx to xxxxxx.
This should be one of the following documents:
- Marriage certificate or Civil Partnership certificate
- Deed poll (this can be enrolled or unenrolled)
- Change of name deed signed in both your old and new names
- Statutory Declaration or Affidavit signed in your new name
- Certificate of Naturalisation or Registration
- Adoption order or Adoption certificate
- Gender Recognition certificate
- Re-registered birth certificate
- Certificate from the Court of the Lord Lyon of Scotland
- Act of Parliament
- Baptismal or Confirmation certificate (for forenames only)
- HM Passport Office PD2 form for those applying for a post-dated passport on marriage or civil
partnership (this can be found on our website www.Gov.uk)
Statutory Declarations must provide full details of this change of name and be witnessed by a
Justice of the Peace, Solicitor, Commissioner for Oaths (in England and Wales) or Notary Public
(Scotland).

We need to confirm that the name you entered in the personal details section of the application
is the one that you use for all purposes. To prove this, please send us one of the documents
listed below. Documents must be dated within the last year or, in the case of ID cards, visas and
residency permits, must still be within their validity date.
- Tax record e.g. letter from a tax authority
- Educational record e.g. school report
- Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer
- Letter sent to you from a Central, Regional or Local Government Department
- National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)
- Visa or residence permit (or colour photocopy)
- Tenancy agreement
- Mortgage statement
If you can't provide these, we might consider bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.
If you have not changed your name with any other authorities yet, please provide a signed
statement confirming that you intend to use the name xxxxxx for all official purposes in the
future, both in the UK and overseas.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old Nov 20th 2016, 4:13 am
He/him

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No they won't, necessarily. My experience in two Walgreens, and 15-20 minutes wasted in each, says otherwise!
You may need to be in a State with above average High School graduation. This doesnt include North Carolina, so maybe she should look elsewhere.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung
You may need to be in a State with above average High School graduation. This doesnt include North Carolina, so maybe she should look elsewhere.
You are probably right, but as GeekyGal lives in NC, don't you think traveling out of state just to get passport photos is a bit extreme?
Old Nov 20th 2016, 7:26 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am not sure what you mean by "very strict".
UK Passport and Visa Photos

Quote from the above,
"Incorrectly taken UK passport photos have become the main reason for UK passport applications being rejected. We take the time to ensure that your passport and visa photos are correctly sized and meet all the required specifications."
Now, I realise this is a commercial company trying to scare people into paying for their services, but the general point is that you've got to now comply with all the specified criteria (as set out in the leaflet I linked to in my first post.) The reason is photos have to be consistent with internationally agreed criteria, and work reliably with automated passport reading technology. Years ago, you could send them any photo & they'd accept it...
Old Nov 20th 2016, 10:36 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The reasons why the requirements are so strict is to ensure that the passport works correctly with the automated passport gates. You can fudge it and still get your photo accepted but don't complain when the automated gates don't work for you.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 10:52 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The reasons why the requirements are so strict is to ensure that the passport works correctly with the automated passport gates. You can fudge it and still get your photo accepted but don't complain when the automated gates don't work for you.
Exactly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.