Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing British Passport Question

Renewing British Passport Question

Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

MHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really nice
Default Renewing British Passport Question

Hello all,
I am American but have lived in the UK for the last 5.5 years. Hubby just got his immigration approved !!! We will be moving to USA in the next few months. But I have a question I hope someone can answer. Hubby's passport will expire in 2008 before he can apply for dual citizenship. Is it easy to get UK passport renewed if you are living in the states? Also what about his visa stamp and all that are in his old passport? Anyone have to go through this when you moved to the states? Any and all help appreciated

Last edited by NC Penguin; Jan 28th 2005 at 6:50 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:32 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Americans take themselfs far too seriously

Originally Posted by MHolkham
Hello all,
I am American but have lived in the UK for the last 5.5 years. Hubby just got his immigration approved !!! We will be moving to USA in the next few months. But I have a question I hope someone can answer. Hubby's passport will expire in 2008 before he can apply for dual citizenship. Is it easy to get UK passport renewed if you are living in the states? Also what about his visa stamp and all that are in his old passport? Anyone have to go through this when you moved to the states? Any and all help appreciated
renew it in 2008.

also when renewing it, it will be issued out of Washington, so it'll look like he has diplomatic immunity...........which is cool
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:33 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,
Couldn't be easier. Get the UK passport renewed via the British Embassy in two weeks, keep the old one with for the documents.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Call the embassy on 202 588 7800 or download forms at www.britainusa.com
Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing British Passport Question

One thing to bear in mind: his US visa will only be valied for the length of the validity of the passport. So in some cases in can make sense to renew the passport even if it has a couple of years to run.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:40 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
One thing to bear in mind: his US visa will only be valied for the length of the validity of the passport.
not necessarily
Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
not necessarily
I guess it depends on the visa - this is certainly the information we got re. our H1b/H4 visas.

Old Jan 28th 2005, 8:02 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
I guess it depends on the visa - this is certainly the information we got re. our H1b/H4 visas.

Absolutely not. H1B/H4 visas are valid for as long as they say they are valid for. You just have to carry your old passport with your new one, since the visa itself will not be moved to the new passport.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 8:05 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Absolutely not. H1B/H4 visas are valid for as long as they say they are valid for. You just have to carry your old passport with your new one, since the visa itself will not be moved to the new passport.
All I can say that on the renewal form it said that the renewal would only be issued for the length of the validity of the passport. We checked with the Embassy and they said we should renew our passports before applying for the renewal of the H1b/H4.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 8:11 pm
@matthewb76

Hello all,
anyways in answer to your question, if the greencard or stamp (I-551) expires, but status doesn't if you are a permanent resident.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 11:45 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Americans take themselfs far too seriously

Originally Posted by Manc
renew it in 2008.

also when renewing it, it will be issued out of Washington, so it'll look like he has diplomatic immunity...........which is cool
Not any more it doesn't.

Instead of stating place of issue as British as "USA" it now states "FCO" - which presumably stands for the 'Foreign and Commonwealth Office".

(I'm glad I've seen this post...it's just reminded me that we will need to get our daughter's passport replaced imminently as her current one isn't machine readable - she lost hers last year on a train in India and spent six nights in New Delhi awaiting a replacement... - the delay was because her missing passport was issued when we lived in Singapore and the British High Commission in India had to liaise with Singapore and London and we all know that the consular staff have very short office hours...
Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,
I am American but have lived in the UK for the last 5.5 years. Hubby just got his immigration approved !!!
Have you thought about applying for British citizenship (by naturalisation) yourself before you leave the UK, assuming you don't have it already?

Jeremy
Old Feb 1st 2005, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

MHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Have you thought about applying for British citizenship (by naturalisation) yourself before you leave the UK, assuming you don't have it already?

Jeremy
Thanks I do have British citizenship