Reload this Page >

Renewing British passport from overseas

Renewing British passport from overseas

Old Feb 8th 2019, 4:53 am
Just Joined

cycleforthesoul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing British passport from overseas

Hi All,

I’ve searched high and low for an answer to my situation but to no avail. Hoping someone with experience can offer some advice.

I’m in the situation that I need to renew my passport from overseas (current in the US and will be for the next 3 months) but have struck a problem. I can adhere to all the necessary requirements to undergo this process however when applying online for my new passport the country field for the address on my new passport defaults to USA (as that is the country I am applying from).

Now my full time address is still currently the same as it is on my old passport and that is in the UK. So my question is how do I apply for the new passport from overseas whilst retaining my original UK address?

Any help greatly appreciated as I need to get the ball rolling on this before I leave the US!

Thanks,
Tom
Old Feb 8th 2019, 5:29 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing British passport from overseas

I take it you want the new passport sent back to you in the US. If so use the US address. Your actual address doesn't get entered in the passport, so it isn't necessary to use your home address.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 5:50 am
Just Joined

cycleforthesoul is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
I take it you want the new passport sent back to you in the US. If so use the US address. Your actual address doesn't get entered in the passport, so it isn't necessary to use your home address.
Thanks for clarifying this so quickly Iansbury! It’s hugely appreciated.

Seems I got confused because the application form asks for your ‘Home address’ whilst submitting your personal details but once you reach the confirmation page indeed this address is only used for delivery and not for the new passport.

A big relief - thanks again!
Old Aug 8th 2019, 7:24 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick update on the current processing time for the fully digital process from overseas.

My younger son (aged 19) recently (24th July) applied to renew his passport using the online system. When uploading what seemed like a compliant photograph the system objected to something about it but gave the option to continue with the application using the potentially non-compliant photo so he did. He sent off his old expired passport the next day and it arrived at the passport office on 2nd August. There was obviously no problem with the uploaded photo because his new passport was approved, issued and sent yesterday (8th August). I'll update once again when he receives his new and old passports. Essentially 2 weeks from receipt of application to approval and despatch.

Application history
Passport printed and sent 9:44pm on 7 August 2019
Application approved 4:45pm on 7 August 2019
Joined processing queue 12:05pm on 2 August 2019
Documents received 8:53am on 2 August 2019
Application received 3:21pm on 24 July 2019
Application submitted 3:20pm on 24 July 2019
Old Aug 14th 2019, 1:20 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Both passports delivered to younger son in New Mexico today, 20 days after submitting the application.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Similar to mine last year, it's extremely efficient - puts the US government to shame!
Old Aug 14th 2019, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I received my British passport Tue Aug 13th.

Passport printed and sent 12:56pm on 9 August 2019
Application approved 8:54am on 9 August 2019
Joined processing queue 2:19pm on 5 August 2019
Documents received 12:12pm on 5 August 2019
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

bay_area_miata is an unknown quantity at this point

Very useful information here. I am about to submit my passport renewal and glad to hear it should be painless.

I have a quick question though - do they still chop the top corner of the old passport off & send it back? I have an active L-1 visa in my old passport that I'm worried will become invalidated if there is a piece missing!
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 4:06 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

Originally Posted by bay_area_miata
Very useful information here. I am about to submit my passport renewal and glad to hear it should be painless.

I have a quick question though - do they still chop the top corner of the old passport off & send it back? I have an active L-1 visa in my old passport that I'm worried will become invalidated if there is a piece missing!
So long as the visa page is not cut it will still be valid. My old passports only have the corner of the cover clipped, not the internal pages. They cut only the cover for precisely the reason you give above.
Old Aug 24th 2019, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bay_area_miata
They cut the corner from the front and back covers. They also cut the corner from the details page (on some older passports the details page is the inside of the back cover). All other pages are left intact.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Aug 24th 2019 at 4:11 pm.