Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing British Passport

Renewing British Passport

Old Nov 5th 2004, 6:41 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewing British Passport

Right, I've got forms filled out, Credit Card authorisation form completed and a couple of unflattering mugshots.

My only issue is the counter signature.

Has any one renewed their UK passport while in the US and if so, who did you use to counter sign the form and the back of a photo?

I was thinking of making a doctors appointment and getting them to do it or even someone at the DMV (possibly).

Any suggestions?
Old Nov 5th 2004, 6:52 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing British Passport

Originally Posted by rincewind
Right, I've got forms filled out, Credit Card authorisation form completed and a couple of unflattering mugshots.

Has any one renewed their UK passport while in the US and if so, who did you use to counter sign the form and the back of a photo?

I was thinking of making a doctors appointment and getting them to do it or even someone at the DMV (possibly).

Any suggestions?
As long as your appearance has not changed too much you do not have to have countersignatures for a passport renewal
http://www.ukpa.gov.uk/_1_applications/1_renewing.asp
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Any suggestions?
And if for any reason it turns out that you do need a counter signature, almost any vaguely normal person will do. I needed one for my son's first passport and I got a friend who works in University Administration to do it. It's supposed to be someone "respectable" who's known you a while.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:03 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegas
As long as your appearance has not changed too much you do not have to have countersignatures for a passport renewal
http://www.ukpa.gov.uk/_1_applications/1_renewing.asp
Not too sure about that. The forms and notes on the British Embassy site state that someone needs to countersign the form and a photo.

I don't want to send this all off only to get it sent back.

Has anyone else done this while in the US??
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Not too sure about that. The forms and notes on the British Embassy site state that someone needs to countersign the form and a photo.

As above, oh great mower of grass. I've done it. The last time I renewed I sent them a countersigned photo and they just returned it - apparently they didn't need it, although the previous time they did. Who knows. They kept the one I sent for my son. Send it in. Nothing's lost, and as you say, they'll send the whole lot back if it isn't there and they do want it. The countersig's no big deal - pretty much any "professional" will do.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

had my daughter's passport renewed just a month a go or so. Sent one passport piccie which was countersigned by a friend who is an engineer. Photo wasn't the correct size because the US has a different size (go figure) but they rescanned it to fit. Came back within a week
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

My mate went to the local police station and got someone there to sign it for him when he renewed and that weren't a problem...cop didn't know him...or there's somin' he's not letting on
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

I sent mine off to DC a few days ago, so I will keep you informed of progress. The counter-signing stuff seems a bit silly to me ... anyone could sign it, really. I got a colleague to sign it and gave them his phone number and email address on a cover letter to make sure they wouldn't actually call him. They can if they want too, though.

As an aside, most photo places (well, decent ones) now take the passport/ID snaps using a digital camera. I spent $3 extra and got them to burn the image to CD. I'll print it myself in future!

Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:23 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Any suggestions?
I renewed my UK passport at the beginning of this year (2004) and I wondered too I needed to get a countersignature. So, I phoned the Embassy (I had to try about four times before I got to live person) but I was told it wasn't necessary because it was a renewal.

If in doubt, please call the Embassy. There'll be a message suggesting the best times to call.

Processing time for applications is far quicker than in the UK. It was exactly two weeks before I received my spanking new passport and the old, cancelled passport.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:48 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

Section 10 - Countersignature
If the application requires countersigning, the application form must be completed before it is countersigned. A countersignature is usually only needed if the application is for a first passport or to replace a lost, stolen or missing passport. A countersignature may be needed if the renewal or extension of a passport and the appearance of the holder has changed considerably, for example if the passport was issued when they were a small child.

http://www.ukpa.gov.uk/textonly/engl...ation_form.asp
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:55 pm
Vegas Baby

And this from the British Embassy Web Site in Washington

13. Do I need to have my application countersigned if it is a straightforward renewal?

If your passport was issued in the last 10 years, this is not normally necessary unless your appearance has noticeably changed.

http://www.britainusa.com/consular/o...D=231#thirteen
Old Nov 5th 2004, 9:08 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

What vegas said!

I got me a new passport in my new married name prior to having my AOS interview.

Of course my appearance had changed somewhat since the last bad piccy, taken eight years ago, but nothing too drastic! (Who the hell is gonna try to mimic their appearance from that long ago)?! But, my new passport was sent to me, ten days after submission, with no problems whatsoever.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

rochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to all

I've renewed passports whilst we've been here & I got one of my son's teachers to countersign. I think the form states it should be a "professional".
Old Nov 18th 2004, 3:16 am
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by vegas
And this from the British Embassy Web Site in Washington

13. Do I need to have my application countersigned if it is a straightforward renewal?

If your passport was issued in the last 10 years, this is not normally necessary unless your appearance has noticeably changed.

http://www.britainusa.com/consular/o...D=231#thirteen
I took that info and just sent it in not counter signed.

I checked my bank account today and payment has been taken by the embassy so I'm assuming the passport will be on it's way soon.

Thanks for the pointers chaps (and chapesses )
Old Nov 18th 2004, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

Got mine back today via signature-required Fedex. The previous passport was returned with the corners cut off.

I'm not tremendously impressed with the new one. They've moved the ID page from the back cover to one page in from the back, so the whole thing seems a bit fragile, and although they sent back one of the two pics I sent (they returned the one with the countersignature), I'm fairly sure that the pic in the passport is a poor scan of the one I sent them. For those interested in minutae, it no longer mentions the name of the issuing embassy, it just says FCO.

What the heck, "may the bearer pass without hindrance" and all that.

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
I sent mine off to DC a few days ago, so I will keep you informed of progress. The counter-signing stuff seems a bit silly to me ... anyone could sign it, really. I got a colleague to sign it and gave them his phone number and email address on a cover letter to make sure they wouldn't actually call him. They can if they want too, though.

As an aside, most photo places (well, decent ones) now take the passport/ID snaps using a digital camera. I spent $3 extra and got them to burn the image to CD. I'll print it myself in future!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.