Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing British Passport

Renewing British Passport

Old Nov 18th 2004, 4:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing British Passport

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
...They've moved the ID page from the back cover to one page in from the back...
That's to make them harder for people to tamper with by sliding the lamenate off to stick a new pick in them.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 5:00 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Not too sure about that. The forms and notes on the British Embassy site state that someone needs to countersign the form and a photo.

I don't want to send this all off only to get it sent back.

Has anyone else done this while in the US??
yeah don't worry rincewind , i actually let my passport expire for 2 years before getting a renwal

as long as you have the old passport for them you won't even need the countersignature, they advise you not to let your paperwork expire though
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 4:22 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
Got mine back today via signature-required Fedex. The previous passport was returned with the corners cut off.

I'm not tremendously impressed with the new one. They've moved the ID page from the back cover to one page in from the back, so the whole thing seems a bit fragile, and although they sent back one of the two pics I sent (they returned the one with the countersignature), I'm fairly sure that the pic in the passport is a poor scan of the one I sent them. For those interested in minutae, it no longer mentions the name of the issuing embassy, it just says FCO.

What the heck, "may the bearer pass without hindrance" and all that.
My passport arrived today and you're not kidding. The quality is no where near what it was for my previous one. I opened up the page with the photo and it almost works like a pop-up book.

The photo is also a badly scanned in version of the one I sent but heck, at least I have it.

Thanks for you help on this one guys. I was worried about the whole counter-signature thing but it wasn't needed.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 1:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... The photo is also a badly scanned in version of the one I sent but heck, at least I have it. ...
Mine is too - really badly distorted, kind of compressed, leaving me looking like a wide-mouthed frog.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 1:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Mine is too - really badly distorted, kind of compressed, leaving me looking like a wide-mouthed frog.
Least you have the excuse that they made it look bad
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

I seriously wonder whether mine will stand up to ten years of travelling.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Old Nov 25th 2004, 2:17 am
Just Joined

truebrits is an unknown quantity at this point

Not too sure about that. The forms and notes on the British Embassy site state that someone needs to countersign the form and a photo.

I don't want to send this all off only to get it sent back.

Has anyone else done this while in the US??

I don't know if your passport is expired. My wifes' and mine are, so when I went to renew at the Embassy in DC last week, I was told that we needed copies of our driving licences as well, because they were expired. I was also turned away as the friend who counter-signed the pictures, including the ones for our children, was a personal trainer. I was told that for the children it HAD to be their teacher. I did point out that their present teacher hasn't known them for two years, but was told that I still needed them signed by teachers'. They did, however, assure me that I would receive the new passports before our christmas travel date. At least we had good weather for a day trip to DC and the Smithsonian!
Old Nov 25th 2004, 2:40 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by truebrits
I don't know if your passport is expired. My wifes' and mine are, so when I went to renew at the Embassy in DC last week, I was told that we needed copies of our driving licences as well, because they were expired. I was also turned away as the friend who counter-signed the pictures, including the ones for our children, was a personal trainer. I was told that for the children it HAD to be their teacher. I did point out that their present teacher hasn't known them for two years, but was told that I still needed them signed by teachers'. They did, however, assure me that I would receive the new passports before our christmas travel date. At least we had good weather for a day trip to DC and the Smithsonian!
It was due to expire at the end of January 2005 so I renewed it nice and early. No counter signature needed.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 4:20 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by truebrits
That's odd. The website says the person has to have known you not the child.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 8:15 pm
GJB
dart throwin' doofus

GJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to behold

Ironically, I just sent mine off today. My previous passport expired in June of this year. I sent it, a professionally taken new picture of me, and had my old boss (who has known me for 18 months and is a professional accountant) countersign the form and the pictures.

I'm hoping to get back home next summer, so wanted to get it done and out of the way early.

Gary
Old Nov 29th 2004, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

AlbaTivo is an unknown quantity at this point

I allowed my passport to expire and applied without countersignature and everything was processed okay.

When my son was born we had his countersigned by a friend who is a paralegal. I really think you only need the countersignature for first time applications, although we will probably have our son's countersigned when he has to renew at 5 years old since they change so much.
Old Nov 30th 2004, 12:09 am
Perfumdiva1

Right, I've got forms filled out, Credit Card authorisation form completed and a couple of unflattering mugshots.

My only issue is the counter signature.

Has any one renewed their UK passport while in the US and if so, who did you use to counter sign the form and the back of a photo?

I was thinking of making a doctors appointment and getting them to do it or even someone at the DMV (possibly).

Any suggestions?

For goodness sakes, applying for a new passport is childsplay, DC and back in 2 weeks max..

Try applying for a driving permit for a 15yrs old, when we have lived in the US for 7 years, paid taxes etc, still non green card holders...........
(Applied for green card nearly 5 years ago, but, if you apply after 9/11, it is delivered under 2 years, happened to 2 friends of ours, (work for the same company as my husband in less senior positions) yeah for American security and vigilance)

But we had to leave the country so my son could have his I94 updated, crap crap crap

Long live George W Bush...(NOT)

Sorry to sound pissed off, but I am

Go figure................

Elaine

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 3:29 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1
For goodness sakes, applying for a new passport is childsplay, DC and back in 2 weeks max..
I hope so. I sent my son's off on 15th November, next day delivery. His was originally a five year passport. We asked our neighbour, who is an engineer to countersign. But it clearly says on their website that if you haven't known anyone for two years it can be less AND that they have to have know you and not the child.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 3:36 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Here are the details:

Note 6 – Section 8 – Countersignature
When you have completed the form, someone who has known You (not the child) personally for at least two years should complete and sign Section 8. That person should be a British citizen, other British national or Commonwealth citizen who is a Member of Parliament, Justice of the Peace, Mnister of Religion, Bank Officer, Established Civil Servant, or professionally qualified person, e.g. Lawyer, Engineer, Doctor, School Teacher, Police Officer or a person of similar standing. Procedures include a check on the authenticity of countersignatories.

If you do not know a British national or other Commonwealth citizen locally with those qualifications, a citizen of the country in which you are residing may complete and sign the form, provided he/she has a similar standing in that country has known you for two years and the Consul considers his/her signature to be acceptable.
http://www.fco.gov.uk/Files/kfile/Notes%20C2,0.pdf

14. Who should I ask to countersign my application if I have been in the USA for less than 2 years?
A professional person of good standing (doctor, dentist, teacher etc) who is known to you. Or you can obtain a countersignature from your previous location.
http://www.britainusa.com/consular/o...D=231#fourteen

Last edited by CaliforniaBride; Dec 2nd 2004 at 3:39 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 4:34 am
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I hope so. I sent my son's off on 15th November, next day delivery. His was originally a five year passport. We asked our neighbour, who is an engineer to countersign. But it clearly says on their website that if you haven't known anyone for two years it can be less AND that they have to have know you and not the child.
Hi

We had people in the offfice sign off the paper work, even though they did not know my boys, just my husband

Everything went through OK

So good luck and hopefully it will not take too long, although when you file off-seasin, it really makes a difference..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.