British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Renewal in the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/renewal-usa-713399/)

Samanthia Apr 14th 2011 8:47 pm

Renewal in the USA

I was born in the US, but my mother is British. I had a British passport as a child; it expired in '02 though. I didn't get it renewed, but I am in the process of doing it right now! Before I send it all off I'd like to make sure I have everything! Any input is appreciated. I'd call the passport department but it costs something crazy like $2 a minute

1. Old passport
2. C-1 Form
3. My full birth certificate
4. Mother's full birth certificate
5. Two pictures taken "professionally" at cvs
6. The fee!

Thank you!

pTeronaut Apr 14th 2011 9:28 pm

Re: Renewal in the USA

Originally Posted by Samanthia (Post 9305739)
I was born in the US, but my mother is British. I had a British passport as a child; it expired in '02 though. I didn't get it renewed, but I am in the process of doing it right now! Before I send it all off I'd like to make sure I have everything! Any input is appreciated. I'd call the passport department but it costs something crazy like $2 a minute

1. Old passport
2. C-1 Form
3. My full birth certificate
4. Mother's full birth certificate
5. Two pictures taken "professionally" at cvs
6. The fee!

Thank you!

Make sure that the photos are the correct size (which is different than the size that the US requires). 45mm & 35mm untrimmed.

You will also need a lot of patience, as renewals are taking a long time, both from being first looked at (payment being taken), to actually being sent out.

Personally, after my naturalization, I won't be bothering to renew my UK passport as the US passport that I will hold will get me out of the country, and an expired UK passport will get me into the UK, or so many members here have said.

Samanthia Apr 14th 2011 9:41 pm

I read in another post that they'll accept US-sized photos. The receipt says they are 4x6. I'm getting really paranoid about this whole process!

Bob Apr 14th 2011 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by pTeronaut (Post 9305806)
Make sure that the photos are the correct size (which is different than the size that the US requires). 45mm & 35mm untrimmed.

Naa, if you're getting the passport in the US, print it in the US size and the embassy will trim them down to size.

Only get them printed UK size if you are going to the UK to get it renewed, in which case you could use something like http://www.epassportphoto.com/ and print the photo's out at Target or where ever you get prints done.

Also, if you don't look significantly different to the previous passport photo, you don't need to bother with a counter sig, other wise you will, but they don't have to be US citizens, just people in the community with professional standing.

Good time to renew it though, because after 10 years, you've got to apply as if a first time passport.

Samanthia Apr 14th 2011 9:55 pm

Thanks Bob. I was only 6 when my old passport was issued, so I look a lot different now as a 20 year old! I am going to get a signature just in case.

Samanthia Apr 19th 2011 5:44 pm

How much faster is it to send in the credit card form rather than a cheque?

MarylandNed Apr 20th 2011 5:53 am

Originally Posted by pTeronaut (Post 9305806)
Personally, after my naturalization, I won't be bothering to renew my UK passport as the US passport that I will hold will get me out of the country, and an expired UK passport will get me into the UK, or so many members here have said.

A US passport will get you into the UK. I've been to the UK on my US passport - I never bothered taking my expired UK passport with me.

pTeronaut Apr 20th 2011 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 9315742)
A US passport will get you into the UK. I've been to the UK on my US passport - I never bothered taking my expired UK passport with me.

Through the EU line? Because I don't want to be looked down upon like my USC wife has been everytime she has entered the UK.

Ash UK/US Apr 21st 2011 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Samanthia (Post 9305831)
I read in another post that they'll accept US-sized photos. The receipt says they are 4x6. I'm getting really paranoid about this whole process!

When I renewed mine (about 4 years ago) I sent US passport picture in and did not have problem.