Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewal of UK passports

Wikiposts

Renewal of UK passports

Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Renewal of UK passports

I am just about to renew my UK passport and am wondering where I can get the photos taken here in the US? I went to Walgreens, but they gave me US size passport photos, without my realizing till I got home, that there is a difference in size.

Any suggestions??
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:33 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renewal of UK passports

Scan 'em in, resize 'em, take 'em to WallyWorld and print 'em out.

Prob cheaper than getting new ones done.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Scan 'em in, resize 'em, take 'em to WallyWorld and print 'em out.

Prob cheaper than getting new ones done.
Well, if I had a scanner and printer at home, I could do that - but I don't any more!!!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by aes1
Well, if I had a scanner and printer at home, I could do that - but I don't any more!!!
Got a digital camera? Do your own, then print 'em out at WW.

Reason I suggest WW is, they have better photo quality printers & paper in those kiosks than you're likely to have in the house.

If you had a printer.

Which you don't.

Did Ray steal it?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Got a digital camera? Do your own, then print 'em out at WW.

Reason I suggest WW is, they have better photo quality printers & paper in those kiosks than you're likely to have in the house.

If you had a printer.

Which you don't.

Did Ray steal it?
Well, I just found this question asked back in October, and the answer was that the British Embassy WILL accept US size photos - posters had done this. So, unless someone gets back to me here to say NO, don't do that, they had theirs rejected, then that's what I will do. Send the US size ones I just had made.

Thanks!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:15 am

Well, I just found this question asked back in October, and the answer was that the British Embassy WILL accept US size photos - posters had done this. So, unless someone gets back to me here to say NO, don't do that, they had theirs rejected, then that's what I will do. Send the US size ones I just had made.

Thanks!
Excellent.

That only leaves the question of who nicked your printer...
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, doesn't matter, Dean, The Consul, mentioned it himself saying the embassy will accept US passports and cut them down to size themselves, just send the sheets in uncut and you'll be fine.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... the British Embassy WILL accept US size photos - posters had done this.
Yup... I used US-sized photos when renewing my UK passport. It was never an issue.

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2010, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yup... I used US-sized photos when renewing my UK passport. It was never an issue.

Ian
Yeah, I am so glad I asked this question before I spent more money! Thanks guys!! This forum rocks!!
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Wooglin is an unknown quantity at this point

I used a quality photography shop and they cut it to match the size requirements of the UK passport. This was only a couple of dollars more than the regular passport photo.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wooglin
I used a quality photography shop and they cut it to match the size requirements of the UK passport. This was only a couple of dollars more than the regular passport photo.
Well, as I have already got the photos and am reluctant to redo, I shall have faith in the gods of the British Embassy and send these off, as other posters have done.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Wooglin is an unknown quantity at this point

It should be fine. Good luck! Now the long wait for the passport office to return your passport!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wooglin
It should be fine. Good luck! Now the long wait for the passport office to return your passport!
Thanks, luckily I don't have any travel plans till Spring!!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

martyleach is an unknown quantity at this point

It appears a lot of the Walgreens stores do not know their own equipment and what they offer.

After visiting many of the smaller stores around the Columbus OH area and being told 'No UK size passport size here', I happened to walk into one of the larger Walgreens stores here. These store appeared to be more setup for custom photographic requests than the smaller stores.

Upon talking to the photo staff member on duty at the time, it actually transpires they can do every size of passport photograph - we scrolled though the list and pretty much every country was listed there.

So moral of the story - hunt a larger store and ask
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by martyleach
It appears that many people working in customer facing positions don't give a toss and will say anything to make a customer go away.
Fixed it for ya!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.