Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renew US Green Card or do Citizenship?

Renew US Green Card or do Citizenship?

Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:56 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renew US Green Card or do Citizenship?

Originally Posted by datcha
The always-have-to-file-taxes as a US Citizen is just Federal, right? No State taxes cos you aint in a State. I also know there /used/ to be an exemption amount ($80K in 2003) which you had to earn more than to have to pay anything to Uncle Sam.
Well, it's complicated.

Some states consider you resident even though you have left the country. Their attitude is you will eventually come back to that state and your absence was only temporary, even if for a few years. Thus you owe taxes for the time while you were away (seriously--some states do this). You have to actively cut all ties to the state--no more bank accounts, drivers license, property, etc and then make sure not to return to that state should you come back.

The exemption still exists for foreign income (I think it is about $92,000) and you can also get a deduction for housing expenses overseas, which varies by where you live.

Isn't there also an estate issue of gc vs. USC such that getting citizenship might be better for your kids.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

By the way you need to have six months on your green card if you're applying for citizenship, so it may be that you have to renew it rather than go down that route if you are that close.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul32x
By the way you need to have six months on your green card if you're applying for citizenship, so it may be that you have to renew it rather than go down that route if you are that close.
Depending on where you are, the process is relatively quick, especially compared to getting other things done!

I applied on August 24th and had my interview and ceremony on November 9th (2010). This was in Atlanta.

I agree that there is a need to get the process moving if you only have six months left on the GC though. Better to be early than take a risk!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The always-have-to-file-taxes as a US Citizen is just Federal, right? No State taxes cos you aint in a State. I also know there /used/ to be an exemption amount ($80K in 2003) which you had to earn more than to have to pay anything to Uncle Sam.

Not sure I'll ever be rich enough though if I do move back to the UK to worry too much about those financial affairs.
The foreign earned income exemption is currently $92,000 plus there is also a foreign housing exemption. If that is not enough, then you can use foreign tax credits to offset more income.

Unless things have changed, you don't file or pay state income taxes when you are not a resident of that state. If that were the case, then people like Romney and McCain would be paying state income taxes in at least a half dozen states. Usually they pick the state that has either no income taxes or the lowest income taxes as their primary residence so that they pay as little as possible in unearned income. As an example, George H. W. Bush used a mail drop in a hotel in Texas (no state income tax) even though he really lived in Washington DC and Kennebunkport Maine with on a few trips to Texas from the time he became CIA director in the 1970's through his presidency (he got caught doing that during his presidency and eventaully had to claim Maine as his primary residence). Also currently Romney primarily lives in California but I doubt that he claims California as his primary residence due to the high tax rate.

It is nice being King or just rich.

Last edited by Michael; Dec 6th 2012 at 1:10 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Some other things that i considered when i applied for USC

-Cost. The one off cost of citizenship versus the green card renewal cost every 10 years.

-Employment. Being a citizen enables you to get military/security clearance. In my line of work this opens up more job opportunities which typically offer 10k - 20k more per year in salary.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Have been here in the US for 9 1/2 years now
In which case there is no point to not getting US citizenship. If you ever left the US you could renounce US citizenship, but if you've been in the US for eight years as a citizen or LPR you are subject to the expat tax provisions either way if you give up LPR status/renounce citizenship.

So from a tax standpoint it is pretty much a moot point.

And given that you don't plan on leaving, it's moot anyway.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Isn't there also an estate issue of gc vs. USC such that getting citizenship might be better for your kids.
Note that if you naturalize in the USVI, your estate will be exempt from estate tax. A little known tax tip.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:41 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Hi All,

I'm not moving back to the UK from this land of opportunity
David.
Word of advice son - don't ever say never. A lot can change in a very short time. When I was your age I said exactly the same thing. But now - I am planning to return to Europe. As others on here will tell you, as a US citizen tax complications when you leave to live somewhere else can be very messy. Add to that the FACTA and other bullshit from the patriot act and you will find that as a US citizen you are a pariah to overseas financial institutions. Does this country deserve to have you as a citizen? I am considering renouncing my citizenship.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Wise words indeed, thank you. I actually didn't want to complicate the matter by being wishy-washy in my OP.

If the balloon does go up here for whatever reason, I'll be fortunate to have a fall-back position for sure.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 1:58 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
I am considering renouncing my citizenship.
And they're talking about some sort of tax punishment for people who do it purely for tax reasons, in addition to the 8854 provisions. Its so stupid.

There's a case in Calgary that I've related before of a developmentally disabled boy whose parents are both dead and a friend of his parents looks after him. Anyway the boy has US citizenship and cannot renounce it because the State Dept. has decided he lacks the mental capacity to do it. The Canadian govt. provides money to a disabled fund called an RDSP to help provide for his care - which is subject to reporting and a small amount of tax in the US.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not moving back to the UK from this land of opportunity so just wanted to get some learned ex-pats thoughts.
Never say never. Also, while you're not a USC, you can be deported if you get into trouble with the law - even if you're actually innocent. I say become a USC asap. I think the pros far outweigh the cons.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Note that if you naturalize in the USVI, your estate will be exempt from estate tax. A little known tax tip.
Wow! Really? Can any US permanent resident consider naturalizing in the USVI?

Any links please?

Thanks!

Hmmm. Looks like this is only the case if you also die in the USVI:

http://www.usvi.net/information/busi...nd-gift-taxes/

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Dec 9th 2012 at 1:02 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds to me like the best scenario for a couple is to have one a USC and one on a green card. At least for us it makes sense.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 10:59 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
In which case there is no point to not getting US citizenship. If you ever left the US you could renounce US citizenship, but if you've been in the US for eight years as a citizen or LPR you are subject to the expat tax provisions either way if you give up LPR status/renounce citizenship.

So from a tax standpoint it is pretty much a moot point.

And given that you don't plan on leaving, it's moot anyway.
If you are a LPR you file an 8854, the exit tax only becomes an issue if you earn more that $145k average over last 5 years, have a net worth more than $2M or at delinquent in your US taxes. Once that's done you will be taxed as a non resident alien, so only US source income will be US taxable and with the tax treaty you will probably have no US taxable I come and as an NRA you'll have minimal tax forms to file once the W-8BENs are done.

If you are a US citizen and move to the UK you will have significant administrative overhead in filing US and UK taxes and will be limited in the type of accounts and investments available to you.

Last edited by nun; Dec 11th 2012 at 11:04 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 12:56 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
If you plan never to return to the UK then get US citizenship.
actually, for me it was the other way around, if I plan to return to the UK get US citizenship

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.